July 4th in the Sierra Nat. Forest

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by KLRfoto, Jul 8, 2010.

1. KLRfoto

KLRfoto n00b

Oddometer:
    Over the long 4th of July weekend I got in some awesome riding. Most of it in the Sierra National Forest.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

SPOT Track on Spotwalla
    Map and Pics on SpotAdventures (Pics are placed by location on the map)

Click The Pics For Larger Versions

I left on early Friday, and rode the slab for a while and then headed east near Chowchilla, taking lonely back roads through the dry foothills. I found some easy dirt roads to get me over to North Fork where I stopped in to get some permits at the Bass Lake District Ranger Station for the Sierra National Forest in North Fork.

There I talked with one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. I walked in the station door, where a couple of big ranger dudes were helping other people and she turns around and says, "How can I help you?" And I stood there stammering like the dipstick I am. I finally found my voice and told her what I wanted and asked my questions. And asked more questions. Then asked more questions. She answered everything completey, smiling and animated. By this time the other "campers" had left so it was just her talking with me staring and listening (and the rangers grinning behind her). I had run out of reasonable questions and the conversation was coming to an end. I must have had a look of disappointment on my face. One of the rangers, with a wink and big grin, asks, "Did you tell him about all the cool stops along the Scenic Byway?" "Oh, no, I didn't." she says, and launches in to ten minutes more. That grinning ranger has my heartfelt thanks.

I couldn't come up with a non-pervy way to get a photo of her, in the station or modeling with my KLR. Sorry. I should have done better. I'll just have to go back and try again soon - just for my fellow adventurers.

Anyway, back to the ride.

Headed up Beasore Rd (they pronounced it Bay Shore). My first stop was at Globe Rock - I'll let you figure out why they call it that.
    [​IMG]

Portuguese Overlook looking over Sierra Nat. Forest land
    [​IMG][​IMG]

A random road I followed for a bit. The weather and temperature were perfect as I rode through this amazing forest
    [​IMG]

Jackass Meadows at 7K feet. Beautiful and moist. I rode a little into it - eventually turing back to avoid getting stuck. It was so quiet and serene
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I rode to the upper reaches of the Sierra Nat Forest, bordering on the Ansel Adams Wilderness to visit Clover Meadows and Granite Creek. I got to ride some amazing dirt tracks here too. Sorry no pics.

The overflow at Mammoth Pool. There is so much water in the Sierras right now. Nearly all the lakes, rivers and streams are full or even overflowing. Many meadows are soaked through and creek crossings are more like river crossings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    <OBJECT height=250 width=300>
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yPKz1cYzC08&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="300" height="250"></embed></OBJECT>

I camped out for the first time in about 15 years. It was fun and I totaly enjoyed it. Stayed at Soda Springs campground instead of out in the wilderness for this first time. Just seemed like a good idea. This was a hosted state campground. The restroom was cleaner than the one in my home, with hand cleaner, air freshner, lined garbage can, etc. They're all that way, right?

One thing of note about my first in a long time camping, Mummy Bags Suck. I'd never used one before. Looks like I'll be replacing my brand new (cheap) mummy. Woke up constantly in a panic feeling trapped.
    [​IMG]

Redinger Lake Overlook 3320 feet
    [​IMG]

The exact center of California - located along Italian Bar Road (Rd 225)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Bridge and boats at Redinger Lake
    [​IMG]

Old Railroad Grade Road, looping up an throught the mountains heading for Huntington Lake. You can see the previously travelled portion of the road in the back ground. Never did see any sign of a railroad though.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Much of this canyon and many of the lakes in this area are used in California's extensive hydroelectric power system. You randomly come across facilities and pipes in the middle of nowhere.
    [​IMG]

I like the forest - cool and calm.
    [​IMG]

Lake Thomas A Edison. A small lake located on a tiny finger of Sierra National Forest land surrounded by the awesomness of the Ansel Adams & John Muir Wilderness esesss
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking out southwestish at the John Muir Wilderness
    [​IMG]

The road I'm travelling, Kaiser Pass Road
    [​IMG]

Near Mono Hot Springs - poeple trying to kill themseleves via fast moving creek/river
    [​IMG]

Ansel Adams Wilderness - looking northwest this time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From here, I rode back into civilization at Shaver Lake where I spent Saturday evening and Sunday with relatives at their Shaver cabin. Enjoyed their company and ridiculous amounts of food and drink. My parents even joined the party. Shaver put on a great fireworks show, out over the pitch black lake with the explosions reverberating around the mountains! Pretty impressive.

I road back to the central valley Sunday evening, watching several fireworks displays as I exited the mountains and proceeded up the valley on superslabs. It was a warm pleasent evening to be riding.

Monday was a quick ride up to Greely Hill. A little dirt west of Yosemite. And then home.

Then it was over.

Thanks for reading.

2. prometheus rising

prometheus rising Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer:
    Sweet:clap :clap that's some beautiful country you got there
  3. kdtrull

kdtrull Alpha Nerd

Oddometer:
    That's an incredible area you've shown us.

Thanks bro.
  4. Double_Supercool

Double_Supercool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang, you guys have amazing scenery over there :)
  5. Gibbonboy

Gibbonboy Just Plain Lost

Oddometer:
    We used to start out from Shaver Lake, beautiful area! Never been there on a bike, would love to include it in a tour sometime. Thanks for the report!
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Wow! What a great ride! Thanks for the report and pics. I gotta get my 2 wheeled ass out to Cali soon. :thumb
  7. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    Cheers, great report and awesome pics. I camp almost every weekend, can;t imagine going 15 years without it - glad you are back to seeing real stars and breathing real air again!
  8. KLRfoto

KLRfoto n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks

I feel lucky to be very close to so much great riding and beautiful scenery.

I'm just starting to make the most of it all. Hope to keep getting better at the riding (and the reports)

9. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. We spent a lot of time in those areas when we lived in Bakersfield. Did you take dip in Lake Huntington? :lol3
  10. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Great scenery
  11. pyrate

pyrate Walking the plank

Oddometer:
    http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/ProductFinder/Bag/filters/6

Might take a look at one of these. More room and still packs relatively small and light. :kumbaya

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of heading up that way in September and this gives some good ideas.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  12. KLRfoto

KLRfoto n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion and link. The reason I tried a mummy is because they all seemed to be lighter and smaller (and i got a +5 cheap). The Big Agnes rectangles seem close though.

It's beautiful there and you can definitely get more off then beaten path than I did for most of the trip. I was told there are some great OHVs way out by Edison and Florence lakes and Mono Hot Springs (didn't actually see them).

That lake is to cold for me! - Besides, I wasn't in need of a bath yet. I don't think.

13. pyrate

pyrate Walking the plank

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don't like mummy bags either so I go for the "squarer" ones and they must have a two way zipper so I can get my feet out if necessary. I find the extra 1lbs or so is well worth it.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">