Low CC touring commences...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Noisymilk, May 22, 2011.

1. mrsmilk

mrsmilk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whyswoman, thanks for the kind words. I've not done any touring myself. Though I have the adventurer's spirit, pregnancy and two-wheeled transportation aren't the best of friends. I hope someday to make some kind of journey myself, but for now I'll do my best to keep the map updated in between longer posts from Milk...and live vicariously through the photos along the way.
    CRWalker likes this.
  2. Noisymilk

Noisymilk Run What Ya Brung

Oddometer:
    Rgoers,

Talk about timing. That was our plan.

Suggestions for an alternate route? Looking at 191 around by Flaming Gorger, then up toward 189 heading eventually to Idaho Falls. This seem doable? Any more direct routes that aren't hampered by weather at the moment?

Thanks.

Real update next time I find wifi.
  3. IceCreamSoldier

IceCreamSoldier suffering somewhere

Oddometer:
    wait.......your wife is pregnant and you are off riding on a LONG journey with your buddy!!! I definitely made a wrong turn somewhere.

good for you Mrsmilk. pass it on.
  4. mrsmilk

mrsmilk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, way to bury the lead, right? :wink:

Believe me, if I was closer to delivery this trip might not be nearly as feasible.
  5. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    Luvin it!
  6. Old Blue

Old Blue Shallow waterman

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Subscribed. Gosh I wish I had the time to do something like this!

Y'all be safe and keep the report coming, please.
  7. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap

:lurk
  8. Whyswoman

Whyswoman The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer:
    MrsMilk...I sent you a lengthy PM - I think - at least i hope it went your way - it disappeared when I hit "send"...please let me know if you get it or not, as it does not seem to be in my "sent items" folder....I hate when a long message just "disappears" like that...grrr...

anyway, have a great day...
  9. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been paying particular attention to the Utah updates since my husband and I will be doing a canyon country/national park ride in Utah the end of June. We'll be taking scoots with a little more oomp and bigger tires than the Buddy but Buddies are great scoots.
  10. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    :stupid

:lol3

[​IMG]
  11. jeff2159

jeff2159 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sound like they are having a good time. Have there been any problems with the scooters? Thanks for keeping us posted and have a safe time.
  12. lowbuckrider

lowbuckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a lot of fun! Mrs Milk your are officially sainted! :clap
  13. rgoers

rgoers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, not a lot of choices out that way... I woke to about an inch or so of wet slushy snow on the ground this morning. That's on the "valley floor" so you can be sure the higher elevations got more than that. SnoTel shows that Trial Lake picked up 7" of snow in the past day, and they're reporting 95 inches as of 6 AM today. My best suggestion would be to try to call or contact:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Joseph D. Donnell
    Park Manager- Rockport State Park
    Operations Manager- Rail Trail State Park
    (Office) 435-336-2241
    (Cell) 435-901-1117
    josephdonnell@utah.gov

and ask if the highway is open yet. Being this is a Holiday, you may not get a response today. There's also the Utah DOT, though I can't find anything on the website to either confirm or deny 150 is open or closed. It just says seasonally closed due to high amounts of snowfall. The report I heard of 150 still being closed (last week) came from a resort on 150 near the WY border.

The only alternate I know of is the route I take to get there... take 32 out of Kamas area and head for 189/I80. I80 will take you to I84, which will take you back towards Evanston, if that's where you're wanting to go. I80 and I84 are 4-lanes with very little traffic, so shouldn't be too bad. Be aware that the weather guys reported Evanston got some snow yesterday as well, but road cams look like the roads are at least clear.

Good luck guys...
    [/FONT]
  14. rgoers

rgoers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay - found the latest report on the DOT site
    (Updated Friday, May 27, 2011)

CLOSED -
    SR 150 Mirror Lake Highway,
    Kamas to Wyoming Border – Milepost 14.6 to 48

Anticipated Opening Late-June

Definitely gotta go around...
  15. mrsmilk

mrsmilk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just passed that info along to the guys, the current plan is 191 around by Flaming Gorge, then up toward 189 heading eventually to Idaho Falls...haven't heard word since they left this morning, but other than the windy driving conditions things have been good so far. Scoots seem to be running well, and they got themselves a hotel last night (though no wifi so it may be awhile before he can upload his latest posts).

And, Whyswoman, I did get your PM, I'll be sure to respond as soon as I can piece a few thoughts together. :D
  16. rgoers

rgoers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great.

WY and UT DOT have excellent websites with direct access to their highway webcams. When my son drove to UT for Christmas (from NY) I watched the cams along his route. If you know the route the guys are taking, you can stay an hour or so ahead of them and let them know what they'll be heading into. It is *very likely* they will encounter some snow on the roads with the route they are taking. Wonder if they make little chains for scooter tires...???

The good news is the weather is supposed to take a dramatic turn tomorrow - and should last for a week or so. We're going to be getting into the 70's again, which means snow will be done for a little while, at least. :D
  17. mrsmilk

mrsmilk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Freezing balls at the top of the pass towards Flaming Gorge"

...they made it that far. Thanks for the tips, I'll keep an eye on the highway cams for them.
  18. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a very long time of saying I need and want a small cc bike/scooter I had put off and went (in my mind) for a 650 twin (DL-Versys) and now you come and show me this?!!!

Great!!! amazing adventure you got going there!!! The best of lucks and yeah, not I am into getting a small scooter, and yes I will blame you for it!

Be safe and I am in! will be reading!!

Damasovi
  19. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    You can check your "sent" messages to confirm it left your outbox.
  20. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing