What's a good 50cc platform to modify to a larger displacement?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by toothy, Jan 18, 2013.

1. toothy

toothy Grin

Oddometer:
    I want to make a faster-than-legal scooter for a person in my life.

What model and make is most simply souped up?

Thanks, tooth.
  2. tbonestone

tbonestone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well opinions are like butt holes... everyone has one, do if you want my opinion a zuma is my top vote. The parts and shops offering them can put out some crazy bikes out.
  3. elzebub

elzebub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second the Zuma suggestion, great platform for modding.
  4. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ruckus seems to be the most heavily "swapped" platform.
  5. seraph

seraph asshole on a scooter

Oddometer:
    Zuma if you want to modify the stock engine - 70cc kit, pipe, big carb, etc - they can do 60mph or better and wheelie most of the way there (a mechanic friend has a 2-stroke Vino, same motor, and with a big carb and a pipe on the stock cylinder it'll manage both the wheelies and the 60mph parts).

Ruckus if you want to swap the motor - there's tons of info out there on swapping in either Zuma 2-strokes or bigger GY6 150cc 4-strokes. Just make sure you upgrade to disk brakes, too, as the stock little drums are underpowered even for the stock, slow, 4-stroke 50cc motor. The Ruckus crowd has even taken to turbocharging their motors now.
  6. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    ANY Minarelli 50cc 2stroke.
    Huge aftermarket, up to over 100cc and over 30HP (yes, over THAT much).
    Zuma, Jog, Piaggio stuff, etc.

25-30HP in a 70kg frame goes pretty good........
  7. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The downside of "gaming the system" is legislative changes . . comply with the law.
  8. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know of a case where an officer in Missouri clocked a hopped up moped going well 40 no tags and insurance. It could have been several tickets, but the officer was nice and only wrote one. He did say this time.

Could have been no helmet, no endorsement, no insurance, no tag and who knows what else.

Rod
  9. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scooter impound expenses and, depending on state statute, arrest.
  10. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Technically its a motorcycle but a Honda Passport with Lifan 140cc 4 speed manual engine swap.
  11. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have built a couple of mopeds (actual pedal mopeds) that would exceed 50 mph, legally they are limited to 30 mph. You just have to be careful where you ride them. Neither one of those engines had a very long lifespan, the power and high RPM simply overwhelmed the stock bottom end.

I'd say a Zuma 2 stroke is the way to go. The Genuine Rattler 110 2 stroke is interesting, but I have no idea what is available for it. You could get away with a Zuma, if it has a motorcycle plate on it. No displacement or speed limits on motorcycles. In my state everything BUT pedal mopeds MUST have a motorcycle plate on it, including 50cc.

The Ruckus with a GY6 swap is a whole nother matter. It is about twice as long as a stock Ruckus, and would be real easy to spot. I'm not sure what those guys do. Even in states where a 50cc has to have a motorcycle license and plate, what do they insure them as? The VIN shows 50cc, but a GY6 is 150cc. If you insured it as a 50cc, your insurance would not likely be any good. In my state it could be registered as a special construction vehicle, but that is hard to do.
  12. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    1960's C100 + whatever Honda clone engine strikes your fancy.

Like was said earlier in this thread, a Lifan 140 cc will fit most step through Hondas and make it faster than it's designed for, which is what happens with any 50cc bike that's modded to go faster. :lol3

The Genuine Rattler 110 hop ups are limited to about 125 cc's and although add a lot of punch, the stock bike is not the same bike as the 50 cc Rattler. It's larger and heavier, and the 110 engine as stock is pretty peppy.
  13. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tortoise, it isn't every day that one runs into the fanatic Sargent who is notoriously abusing authority and beating innocent people. Not only that, in court everything was dropped and I did that myself without a lawyer.

That being said, shit can happen. As long as it is registered and insured with proper licensing(all very inexpensive with a scoot) who cares about the mods.