Christini AWD 450 DS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bike Nomad, Oct 24, 2011.

1. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    I have more miles on the trails and dyno than on the street. Around town it been just fine. I wish I had time to put more miles on it, but I use my 950 for longer trips.
  2. barrier

barrier Says who?

Oddometer:
  3. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    yikes!!

its not as pretty as the christini is it?
  4. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh?! :huh I thought the cat was all in the rear portion of the exhaust? The header has some too?? :ear
  5. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    There was in ours. (See the glowing RED area)

[​IMG]
  6. njsurferlarry

njsurferlarry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    looking to buy a bike soon. been looking at everything. and wont make a jump at nothing til i know this christini is a good bike. worried about that chinese motor. i really hate breaking down in the woods or having to rebuild everything all the time. im getting tired of that. how is it overall?? worth it?? i logged about 4000 miles off road this summer alone on a klr 650 and i have no clue about my 250. and i do ride year round so true mileage offroad is unknown. will this thing make at least 10000miles before a complete teardown? or should i stick to the good ole trusted names.
  7. bobbed06

bobbed06 Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer:
    OK guys you all have sparked my interest here. I have a few questions though.

1. Will an aftermarket Honda CRF450 exhaust or a stock Honda 450X exhaust bolt on front to rear ( header and all)?

2. Is the bore and stroke the same as a Honda 450X or R and will an aftermarket forged piston fit in place of the Chrisitini stock stuff? My google search says the 2012 Honda 450x is 96mm x 62mm vs the Christin specs 96 x 62.1mm. The question still remains though, is the aftermarket honda forged piston offerings a drop in fit?

3. Will a stock 450X cam fit in place of the Christini part?

4. Are these 50 state legal and where are you buying them? I also was able to get this answer as well so it looks like a 49 state legal offering.

I am sure the AWD system is durable, so my main concerns will be making the engine run on par with a Honda 450X. This thread has shown me that the FCR 40 carb will fit already so that is a definite addition I would plan for.
  8. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't say for sure about the header because I only have a slip on so far, but it looks like I'll be finding out soon, thanks, CJRacer. Not sure about the piston or cam either, but the only difference I've found is the clutch shaft is 1mm larger diameter. I plan on putting in a CRF450R hot cam. They are 50 state legal, but I have a long way to go to see if it will go 10,000 miles. I am fairly confident that a Honda motor will bolt in if needed. I bought mine at Tasky's in Everett, WA.
  9. njsurferlarry

njsurferlarry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i just wish there was more info on how reliable this 450 motor is. all i plan on modifying on this thing if i buy one is a slip on pipe and jet kit. not into over modifying bikes anymore. i like to ride more than wrenching on these things. after wrenching all day all i wanna do is maintaining it and riding. it sounds like a great deal, but there seems to be to many buts about it. so nobody actually knows the longevity of the christini as a stock bike?
  10. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    i rode a christini the other day and liked its cam way better than the x i rode a while back (to much hit)

the awd bike did feel chocked and plugged up a bit.

i believe someone bolted an x exhaust system on a couple pages back
  11. christiniawd

christiniawd n00b

Oddometer:
    The 450DS actually has 2 cats in it..One in what would be the mid pipe and another in the silencer. Very bottled up in stock form to meet epa standards. The decompression system is different than a Honda. Bore and stroke are the same as the 450X. Yes piston will work. Christini had a compression ratio of 11.0:1. Honda is 12.0:1. Valves deeper cups in them and the seats are wider Does come with ss valves rather than titanium. A bit slower moving. Has 43.5 HP stock. 42.5 Nm of torque. Stock CV carb can be replaced with any CRF 40mm FCR Carb. Definitely cut that snorkel for the airbox off and a 165 main especially with a different pipe. Any aftermarket exhaust for a 450x will bolt right on. DS is 49 state legal..No California.
  12. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    tag it in wv or az and ride:evil
  13. bobbed06

bobbed06 Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much sir......I like the idea of stainless valves, the ability to bump the compression up a tad with a CRF piston, and the exhaust and carb bolts on! :freaky
  14. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is fascinating. So far under the radar I just learned about Christini today while perusing the thumper section. Too cool, and they are based less than two hours from me!
  15. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So are they both in the rear part of the pipe or is there one in the header?

So will a CRF/CRFX cam work?
  16. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    There is one in the HEADER. There are only 2 pipe pieces. (header/silencer) See pic on last page of cat location in header. With the silencer removed, you should feel the Header pipe CAT with a screwdriver or see it.

Not sure about the CAM, have to wait for reply from christiniawd.
  17. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride and found some snow to play in this weekend. She is not stuck here, I just stopped to take a pic, she pulled right out! :D And that is with the stock cheapo 50/50 dual sport tires!

[​IMG]
  18. Capt. Egregious

Capt. Egregious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where the sewer meets the sea, Edmonds Wa
    I have a question for you Christini folks. Do you typically ride around with the front wheel engaged or disengaged? Have you seen any "high" wear items? Chains, gears, bearings, ect.?
  19. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only engage the front drive when on dirt or a race track. I haven't really got enough time on mine to comment, but a friend has a former shop bike with a lot of miles and no problems. The linear bearings on the front driveshafts seem like the weakest point, but have to wait and see.
  20. rolexgmt

rolexgmt n00b

Oddometer: