Charlotte, NC to New Delhi, India - The Journey Continues

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by SgtMike, Jun 3, 2009.

1. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    We got to Pangong Tso as well, thinking we were pretty tough making it over the 17000' pass, falling snow and rain, crossing wild creeks, the virtually non existent road over rocks and boulders along side the lake, to the camp site at the lake shore. You get there and what do you see:

[​IMG]

Crazy Indians doing the same thing in a little car, no problem. Same on the passes, scooters and 125 cc bikes? No problem.

KP
  2. jallen

jallen Noobish.

Oddometer:
    Busted!:rofl haha

thanks for the educating, though! I never heard that term :)
  3. SgtMike

SgtMike facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer:
    We passed a Frenchman going up to 17k - pulling a little trailer behind his bike!!!! Wish I had a pic of him, he was in good spirits with 3 kilometers to go.
  4. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    You turned 40 on that road? I turned 23 on it! (21 years ago).
  5. SgtMike

Oddometer:
    At least I spent my birthday riding. The next day was the death of the green Enfield.:rofl
  6. peter-reebok

peter-reebok Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done Sgt Mike!.
    I did my own Khardung La adventure in July this year, yep just got back.
    I posted it in the Australian Forum (dont need to compete, it'll always be my holiday adventure).

I managed to recognise most of the locations in your pictures.

Agree with your take on India as well. I deliberately decided to take a 'glass half full' approach, and became more relaxed and (maybe) a better person because of that.

I also found the leg from Leh to Kargil the hardest. I believe it was because of the constant concentration required, and the endless bone shaking roads. Although, on reflection, the first 50klm from Leh was pretty good tar. I notice you didnt describe Kargil too much. I wonder if you had the same experience as I did? Life is different as an observer isnt it!

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in India, it has its problems, but it has plenty of good to offer as well. Beauty, History, vibrancy, and a sense in many places that the future is a better place, with the excitement that goes with it.
    Dont know if I will go back to India, although Rajasthan sounds like an interesting place to visit. Sth America seems to hold an attraction for me now.

Curious to know how you found settling down again after the trip. Some in our group had some issues with reality at home when they returned.

Pete from Oz
  7. SgtMike

Oddometer:
    We arrived in the cover of darkness, left in the morning. Didn't like the vibe there. Got the most "questioning" by the police at checkpoints in Kashmir. Maybe being a Yank had something to do with it, dunno.
    The road into Kargil was terrifying for me - DARK and no lights on my bike. Sharad, my brotha, saved my life by guiding me with his bike's light.
    I'd ride India again - with a bike I shipped over:evil... my VStrom would eat those mountain roads:lol3.
    Srinigar was BUSY, traffic worse than Delhi, and very uncomfortable religious rhetoric being blasted over loudspeakers throughout the city. If I make it back, staying clear of Kashmir.
    LOVED Leh and Delhi and Minali and the Taj, would feel right at home - thanks to CJ the MAN!!!:clap

Back home - hit the ground running. Had to go right back to work the next day, and worked a race as well. Jet lag got me a little when I arrived in Dehli, no problem coming back here.
  8. peter-reebok

peter-reebok Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We spent 3 days in Srinagar - and enjoyed them all.
    We also stayed on a houseboat, and found it calm and relaxing. We did visit some paper machet workshops, wood carving factories and carpet places as well as the Botanic gardens and the morning markets.

Had no problems in Kashmir at all, but in Kargil got the distinct impression we were tolerated, not wanted. One fellow actually told us so in very certain terms. And since he appeared to be very influential in the town, we took his word for it. Couldnt help but notice the increased miltary presence, which extended to an army truck complete with machine guns and soldiers, labelled as a school bus.

I for one was happy to be out of there.
  9. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Army trucks are actually used as school buses:

[​IMG]

We were told that they uses these trukcs, incl covered windows because there are lunatics trying to strir up trouble by going after these "school busses".

Kargil is quit different from Shrinigar. Walking around in Kargil in the evening always felt a bit "I don't know what". Everybody in Shrinigar depends on tourist money. Sorry you were thinking of the mosque sounds in Shrinigar as threatening. I understand very well what you mean, but after a long day, sitting on the backporch of the boat I really started to like the sounds drifting over the lake. When we were there the whole city was locked down, nobody on the streets, very tense situation. The city was locked down by the army as a collective punishment for some riots. No surprise the Indian army and police are not very popular in Kashmir. After figuring this out a bit, and driving around, lost trying to find the houseboat, I did not feel threatened there by the few people I did have a chance to talk to, not even as an American in a muslim city. The bigger threat are the house boat Owners trying to rip you off.

KP
  10. SgtMike

Oddometer:
    Since our friend is nearly on his way from China - thought I'd bump this in honor of Chanderjeet, my brotha.
    Many thanks again to the first International Rider for hosting me. Hope we meet again soon.:deal
  11. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Super! Just Super!! Thanks for takeing the time to post your experiences with us. SS
  12. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet "IndiYeah & SveriYeah!!"

Oddometer:
    Sharing my pics !!

Waiting for Sgtmike at the airport.

[​IMG]

here he is !

[​IMG]

Yup, thats the guy !
    [​IMG]

Walking towards the Car.

[​IMG]

Settling in !

[​IMG]

Mikey with my Mrs.

[​IMG]

Having his first ever Indian meal.

[​IMG]

Test riding my bullet as soon as he woke up !

[​IMG]

NOGATT !

[​IMG]

Checking his own bike later that day !

[​IMG]

Yup, bubba is ready to go !!

[​IMG]

Starting next day early and stopped only to get some drinks !

[​IMG]

Still chugging along !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been riding since day break and destination (Manali) was still 100 kms away.

[​IMG]
  13. Chanderjeet

Oddometer:
    Made it to Kullu, 50 kms short of Manali previous day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tired already?

[​IMG]

Ready to go !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Chanderjeet

Oddometer:
  15. SgtMike

Oddometer:
    There's a ton more pics, thanks for posting more. There isn't a day that I don't think of the trip and riding with You and Sharad.
    THANK YOU AGAIN for allowing me an amazing visit.
  16. FemmeFatale

FemmeFatale Perpetual Motion

Oddometer:
    Mike......
    :bow :super :bow:super

We have some catching up to do!!!! I want to see ALL the pictures and hear EVERY story and adventure:clap

This really touched my soul - your adventure in a land that has always captivated me and being able to deliver books to beautiful children in an amazing remote village.

I feel a theme coming on for future NC event..... bring a book and get a beer and some BBQ - my house!! :beer

Oh- and outdoor slide show of your adventure...PM coming...:deal
  17. romafras

romafras world traveler

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap On my list for sure :clap:clap:clap
  18. KUDABESI

KUDABESI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great journey SgtMike,
    this picture will remind you to
    your trip thru' Khardhung La,
    Himalayan Range...