Rally Diabolico

Discussion in 'Racing' started by HogWild, Oct 9, 2013.

1. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Thank you BD!

I need to work out a few things, but I may well be calling on you!

Jx
  2. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind there are certain details we will never provide. For example we will never publish where the course goes, because in rally you're never supposed to know until you're on it racing. And we will always be vague about even the general areas where the course is. We will probably wait until the last possible moment to divulge exactly where the bivouac is.

We won't know the length of the stages until they are finalized. And in my mind, the length will tell you little more than what your odometer should read at the finish. While pre-running one stage we averaged less than 15mph, and I used more than double the normal gas for that length. Another stage may have an average speed over 30mph or even 40mph. One thing is for sure, you'll be worn out by the end!

Yesterday I was pre-running one stage that we now believe is not usable because it crosses a "protected" area, even though the land owner was with me and fully approves of the race going there. So I have to go out and make a replacement stage for that one. The course development will probably go on for many more months.

Aside from specific location and course length, what "details" are you looking for?
  3. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about bivvy? All in the same place? What can we expect mileage wise? For our bike set up, fuel tanks.

4 dutchies thinking about coming over as the south African is not as certain as your event...
  4. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    We have been planning for a single bivouac, with each stage starting and finishing there, and NO liaisons. But this weekend we had a meeting with some local officials and they might want a slight modification to that plan. Our goal is to keep the logistics as simple and cheap as possible.

Read my post above.
  5. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers! Exciting :clap
  6. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, I wish I had the nuts to do this one!!! But man I think it's pretty spectacular you cats are doing this and that the community is supporting you!!! Bravo:clap:clap:clap
  7. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Based on what you have said (mostly your comment about needing twice as much fuel as expected) sounds like fuel range is one concern for me. I recently bought an aux tank for my WR450F which would bring me to 23L. Does that sound like it should be doable given the distances/terrain you are planning?

Beyond that I am finding answers to all my big questions on the website... well other than entry fee but I suspect lots of unknowns before you are able to set that.

As far as course details I agree, keep is secret, much more of an adventure knot knowing exactly what is in store :clap
  8. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    We want to give the racers what they want as much as possible, without detracting from key aspects of rally. We can add a gas stop or two depending on the majority need, but we won't go so far as to put them 60 miles apart as in SCORE type races. For Dakar I think the requirement is 250km range, which is 155 miles. If you have that (assuming "typical" terrain), you're probably ok. If you want a lower requirement, post your request here and if there are a lot of others that want a shorter range requirement then we'll see what we can do. Any stage that cuts your gas range in half due to the terrain would likely be shorter accordingly.
  9. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being able to get by with a 5-6 gal tank would be awesome.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  10. BAZZER450

BAZZER450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on 5 to 6 gal tank
  11. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I personally prefer less then 5/6 gallons. 100miles max as tank range would be my preferred option. Adds to the overall safety too.
  12. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a RALLY !!!!! not a sprint race

I say 5-6 gallons of fuel requirement
  13. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure it is a rallye, but there is no point in taking 30 liter of fuel on stages that have a 15mph average as stated...

14. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand your thought process completely
    But did you not understand where he said you will use twice the amount of gas as normal in the slow sections averaging 15 miles per gallon?
    Example:
    Sand sand sand and more sand Equals poor gas mileage
    I would Better be safe Then sorry

At a typical SCORE event ( Baja 1000 )on a 3.2 gallon tank
    Our fuel injected 450 maxes out at 64 miles And that is with very little sand
    Jmo

But I do look forward to seeing all of you over here at the diabolical I cannot wait!!!!
  15. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Full bore require a lot of fuel... Ive never gone full bore for more then 3miles, I guess Im slow and most of all scared...

It does help with my fuel consumption :clap

I just enjoy the scenery and the focus required with trying to ride fast and acurately navigating.

If this will be an event that doesnt require too much navigation then it probably isnt for me and you would probably require that 6 gallon gastank while I will focus on 'not falling off' and being safe :rofl Better safe then sorry :)
  16. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I've been told!
    Navigation will be the key in this event .
    Another words you have to go slow to go fast!!
    A couple wrong turns and it will be diabolical!!!

this event is something that is needed here in North America
    And when this comes together I will be putting a support package together for our friends from overseas
    Including Rider and bike pick up and transportation to and from the event and hospitality in the bivouac
    I may even have a few bike rentals
  17. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    As Baja Dad said, the 15 mph average was dunes. We were doing an experimental ride of 60 miles in big dunes. At the end we had actually done around 65 miles because of zigzagging and mistakes. I had 4.2 gallons of gas. I ran out completely just before the end. That's 15.5 miles per gallon (6.5 km/liter) average. I had no idea the mileage would be that bad. Normally when I need long range I carry an extra 1 gallon in a bottle on my belt. I didn't take it that time because our test was so short.
  18. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Here are some photos from our outing this past weekend. We were scouting routes, and testing a Dakar car.

The Diabolico scouting armada, with the black helicopter hidden:
    [​IMG]

Rafa, Dakar vet from Spain, reviewing a prerun roadbook.
    [​IMG]

My scout moto:
    [​IMG]

Locals, Toxic Bernie (center) and friends, sitting at a special waypoint:
    [​IMG]
  19. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    man that looks good
  20. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer: