The First State is the Last State

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ogribike, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Ogribike

Ogribike Vagabond

Oddometer:
    I'm getting ready to head out for Delaware, I've been there plenty of times and ridden through the state a few times. But like a lot of Inmates, I like taking photos of state line crossings with the bikes. Delaware happens to be the last of the contiguous 48 states or as the Alaskans call it, the lower 48, that I need a photo crossing of.

I will be riding the '86 BMW R80 for this trip for a couple of reasons that will come out later in the report. I bought the R80 new and this was the first new bike I decided to keep. I really like this bike and it has done quite a few long runs with me, including the first Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000 that I completed and many more IBA accredited rides.

Time to roll, I'll post up later this evening.

[​IMG]
  2. bklynz00

bklynz00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, I'am from Delaware and looking forward to your report..Ride safely. :)
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Let's see what you've been up to .. oh and nice bike :thumb
  4. Lobster Grrl

Lobster Grrl Ground feeder

Oddometer:
    :lurk

That bike is gorgeous!

lg
  5. Ogribike

Ogribike Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliments on the R80, it was repainted in '99 when I added the 'S' fairing, the painter used the original Glasurit paint that the bike was painted when new, plus he hand painted the pinstripes. Bklynz00, it was strange picking up some chow and beer tonight and the price was as it said, no tax.

On with the tale. I left later than I wanted to this afternoon, I didn't get rolling until close to 1 PM, so it was a long fast ride, but I did take 90% back roads and saw a lot. Sorry but the photos were taken on the run with my point and shoot, I was hoping to get to DE before dark.

I shoot a few pictures of the Virginia country side as I rode along, I enjoy living in VA and like the people here a lot, that's coming from a Colorado boy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made it to 86666 miles today.

[​IMG]

Crossing the Potomac River.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I rode into Maryland towards Budds Creek, I was reminded of the Easy Riders Budds Creek Rodeo Massacre. In the mid 80's, when most Harley Davidson riders were Outlaws, not lawyers riding on the weekend, Easy Rider magazine was setting up weekend motorcycle rodeos with camping areas and lots of fun. ER obtained permission from the town of Budds Creek to hold the rodeo at the raceway. So a HD riding buddy of mine said lets go, I was riding the same bike I'm on today. When we arrived at the raceway it was closed, so we stopped in at the gas station across the street. The proprietor, a sweet little old lady, told us the town council canceled the event at the last moment because they were afraid of the town being burnt down and their daughters running off with the bikers. She was mad because she was counting on the extra business, she also told us that there was a private party taking place on some farm land and the local riders painted blue arrows along the way to get you there. It was fun following the arrows and counting all the different police units, State, County and Town patrols. When we got to the farm there was a State Police helicopter flying over watching.

The party and camping turned out great and we all drank too much and I even participated in leaping on the big log in the middle of the bonfire. As we were leaving the next day, Tim and I took a wrong turn in the middle of town and we were immediately pulled over. The first words out of the officers mouth were, "This is not harassment". Well I'm not one to put up with that and started arguing, they told me to shut up and stay on my bike, the reason for stopping us is Tim didn't have his turn signal on. So they were searching Tim and he had a hunting knife on his belt, one officer calls out "Knife, is there any intent"? I yell "You have his hands on the trunk and you pulled out the knife, what do you mean intent?' "Shut up and stay on your bike". They decide to place the knife in his saddle bag and I yell "Oh great, now he has a concealed weapon, what are you going to do about that?" "We told you to shut up and we mean it"! They let us leave without a citation but followed us out of town, I took another wrong turn on purpose and they pulled use over again, I asked if it okay for me to stretch and drink some water, "No, get out of our town NOW"!

So we left and laughed about it over beers later. Not great shots of the Speedway or Gas Station, like I said it was a fast day today.

The Raceway.

[​IMG]

The Gas Station.

[​IMG]

The shadows starting to get long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did get a water crossing photo before it got dark. I did have to stop and change to my clear shield and found that my speed and tact gauge lights were out, I always ride this bike in the day, but today I had my GPS so no need for the gauges. It was great arriving to my destination in Harrington, DE. I ran out for a burrito, for some reason I thought about a burrito all day today and some Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA, I hope to have time to visit the brewery down the road a bit tomorrow.

Crossing the Patuxent River.

[​IMG]

The Maryland country side.

[​IMG]

Welcome to Delaware, the flash on my point and shoot is broken due to a drop at a Redskins game after a few adult beverages. So I had to improvise using the bikes headlamp.

[​IMG]

Now it was time for the burrito that was on my mind and a few relaxing brews.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's bed time, I need to get up early and head to the Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge for some early morning shots, I have my DSLR with me and I will use it tomorrow for a few shots. Then I'll meander towards the Tidewater crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.
  6. the darth peach

the darth peach eats crackers in bed Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

:wave
  7. bklynz00

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Delaware Orgibike ! Great pic's. What road were you on when you entered Delaware to get that shot of the sign? Also, that bridge was extremely high. Nice shot of the bridge, how did you manage that? Did traffic slow down enough for you to capture that photo? Bridges always get my attention while riding on bikes, so much can go wrong for bikers like road, and wind conditions; hate bridge crossings but have to cross them! :evil
  8. Ogribike

Ogribike Vagabond

Oddometer:
    :wave [​IMG]
  9. Ogribike

Ogribike Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Boy it was a late night after getting the RR done and waking at 5:00 to get ready for some good light shots. I rode in on DE 14, Vernon Road last night, all the bridge and moving shots are done at speed, so far I haven't dropped a camera.

The R80 was ready to roll this morning and chomping at the bit. I had a quick free hotel breakfast and put on whatever I had that was warm, it was chilly out. I think my thought ballon when I left said "It's not going to get cold, don't worry".

[​IMG]

So it was off towards the Delaware Bay, starting with Slaughter Beach. But first a bit of morning sun glare to deal with and a pass through Milford before folks started moving around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like this time in the morning, you have the roads and beach to yourself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now the beach. Slaughter Beach is famous for it's Horseshoe Crab population. I did find a few carcasses laying about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was also an abandoned castle and a couple smiling faces left behind as I strolled around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to find my steed and move on.

[​IMG]

On to Prime Hook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All good things must end, I had to head south so I could arrive at a decent hour. I choose to ride down DE 1, and work my way to Ocean City, Maryland, another place the R80 visited years ago. The only problem I didn't know it was ride, park and look at our shiny bikes day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Traffic was terrible, so I decided to get out and start for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was on to the house I lived in when I bought the R80 in 1986, it's the one in the center. This is near Chesapeake Beach, aka Chicks Beach.

[​IMG]

I had a couple more tunnel runs before getting to Suffolk for the night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to relax...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I'll head back to the Blue Ridge following the same roads I traveled on the R80 when we did our first long trip together.
  10. bklynz00

Oddometer:
    Ogribike, once again nice pic's!! Hey what was up with the wooden bridge? Did you travel across it?? Must have been an interesting ride, lol. Hey I forgot to mention in my last post, today "Saturday" in Ocean City they were having some type of bike gathering. Traffic in that area route 1 was going to be a mess.
  11. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jim. That picture riding through the tunnel is neat. :nod
  12. whyjay

whyjay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for visiting my "often overlooked" state. Most passer-bys just use us for tax free shopping on their way to New York or DC. Awesome RR! Sorry about Ocean City Bike Weekend. It's damn impossible to get around down there on this particular weekend. Take the tour at Dogfish Head if you ever come back ( you get free beer at the end! ):1drink
  13. Tubulchain

Tubulchain ODAAT Supporter

Oddometer:
    What nice clarity on those photos. How did you do it? Skills, thats how.
  14. Ogribike

Ogribike Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Hey Whyjay, I like seeing what anyplace has to offer and I have wanted to visit Prime Hook. The traffic at the beach wasn't to bad but it did get busy after a while.

Today I woke up with a smile to start another route with the R80 that I completed years ago. So I headed up the Colonial Trail towards Spring Grove, the beginning of Virginia Highway 40. It started out cool but I was happy to be rolling again and I wanted to stop and read the Virginia Historical Markers along the way. Lets get to the photos.

Time to roll from Suffolk, VA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I said, I did visit a bunch of historical markers, I'll limit the amount I stopped for, to keep from boring you. Being Sunday I choose a lot of Church history.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still rolling up the Colonial Trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a morning on the Colonial Trail I arrived at the beginning of Virginia Highway 40. The R80 was happy, it's been over 20 years since we rode this route and I felt the excitement as we rolled west.

[​IMG]

I had to ride down a gravel road to visit this Church, some folks were setting up for a big picnic, so a couple of photos and out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still enjoying the back roads of Virginia.

[​IMG]

I rolled into Blackstone and after reading the marker I had to visit Blacks Tavern as well as the on site vehicle museum. I did drop my camera while riding in town and almost dropped the bike, both the camera and bike survived.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Schwartz (Blacks) Tavern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the vehicles on the grounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a great time looking at everything but I had to keep rolling. I headed into Charlotte Court House.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From here I kept rolling to my destination of my own home for the night. I have a house close to VA Hwy 40, so I decided to end the ride during the heat of the day. I'll finish the ride in the morning. Funny note, I hadn't had anything to eat since 7AM and it was 2PM when I stopped for gas. I decided to eat an apple while I was filling the bike. I did notice the little quality control sticker on the apple but I started eating it on the opposite side. This way I should be finished pumping gas before I got to the sticker and remove it. I forgot and chomped away, sticker and all, great time to smile and enjoy the afternoon.

Life is good, I'll finish the route in the morning and give the final reason for taking the R80 on this journey.
  15. Ogribike

Ogribike Vagabond

Oddometer:
    It felt great spending the night in my own bed. It was up early and off to finish the ride.

[​IMG]

Back to VA40 where I got off yesterday.

[​IMG]

VA morning along VA40, I love living here.

[​IMG]

I rode through Rocky Mount and the start of the Crooked Road, some day I need to ride the complete route.

[​IMG]

It was a quick stop in Ferrum a stop along the Crooked Road at Ferrum College.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple shots of the working farm on the college grounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This means fun for MC riders.

[​IMG]

After enjoying the Crooked Road it was time to say goodbye, the road follows Shooting Creek road from here up the the Blue Ridge Parkway, great ride and fantastic sights, but my task was to follow my original route along VA40.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually I arrived to the western end of Virginia 40, it was nice re-riding the entire route on the same bike over 20 years later. Plus now I live in this area.

[​IMG]

So now it was back on the Crooked Road but in the other other direction, riding VA 8 towards Tuggles Gap and the Blue Ridge Parkway. As the locals and folks that have visited this area know, it is a lot of fun but lots of concentration so pictures are at a minimum or not at all.

[​IMG]

I had a great ride with no traffic and arrived at the Blue Ridge Parkway unscathed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I eventually arrived at Mabry Mill, one of the most photographed and painted sights on the BRP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was time to get to the end of the original ride, away we go.

[​IMG]

This is where I stopped for the night so many years ago, Meadows of Dan, on US58.

[​IMG]

When I arrived it had been raining and my gloves had bled through so my hands were black from the dye. The proprietor of the motel was concerned that it was oil, so I had to show her that it didn't rub off by wiping my hands on a paper towel. They wouldn't take a credit card but would accept a check, glad I had my checkbook with me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From this point I headed back east riding US58 for a while then dropped into Carolina on the way home. But today it was back on the parkway and heading up to Floyd to meet my riding partner, Bill and a very spirited ride to Paint Bank, VA, passing through West Virginia for a bit, no photos because I was busy enjoying my self.

[​IMG]

After riding back roads for a while we had to hop on US 460 to cross the New River, time for a couple of quick shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a quick lunch of a buffalo philly cheese steak at Paint Bank, we headed back toward civilization, with a romp along VA 311 over Potts Mountain, great ride with no traffic, as we go back towards Salem we did have to stop for construction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a bit, it was home sweet home.

[​IMG]

Funny, during the ride I reached 86666 miles and when I finished the ride it was at 87666 miles, the total ride was 1132.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great time and on my 24 year old bike, the reason I wanted to do this trip was to let the R80 revisit a lot of places it took me over the years and to get the state of Delaware crossing. I plan to replace the regular tags with antique tags next year when she turns 25 and rides will be limited, plus she needs some TLC but did fantastic on this trip, including jump starting Bills modern Tiger when he left his lights on during lunch. She will always be in the stable and will be the last bike I would sell if it ever came to that. Thanks for hanging out and riding along.
  16. abqcookie

abqcookie Serow Siren

Oddometer:
    That bike is a work of art and love. I can see why you'll always keep her. Beautiful pics and narrative. I love to wax nostalgic on fond memories, but even better to recreate a new one.
  17. Ogribike

Ogribike Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Thanks Terri, I also listened to a lot of great tunes on the ride. :D
  18. abqcookie

abqcookie Serow Siren

Oddometer:
    :trp

:wave :rogue
  19. bklynz00

Oddometer:
    Hello Ogribike,

Thanks for taking us along to the 1st State! Nice pic's along the way. I want to visit Va more my self, especially the Blue Ridge Parkway. The views are breath taking from the Blue Ridge Parkway, from what I hear it has plenty of sweeping roads too!

Safe riding;
    bklynz00
  20. HappyRiding

HappyRiding Appalachian American lost up Nort

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim! I enjoyed the trip report.:thumb I rode a bit of the Crooked Road (58 from Grayson County to Meadows of Dan) myself last weekend. I hope to get to ride the whole thing in November if the weather cooperates.