the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. tbolt

tbolt Cubicle Prisoner

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any tips for getting a stock throttle side grip off the throttle tube?

Or, a source for a plain throttle tube (without a grip)?
  2. crpntr

crpntr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tbolt, have you tried blowing compressed air btween the grip and the tube?
  3. SHO_GuN

SHO_GuN Adventurerer

Oddometer:
    Mine was glued on with some sort of industrial strength adhesive.

I had to remove the original grip with a knife like peeling a carrot - it was quite a PITA.
  4. wardie

wardie 2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer:
    Get a popsicle stick and bevel the end but make sure it's still rounded. Get a couple que tips and some isopropal alcohol. Take a thin flat balded screw driver and carefully push it into the grip and lifting slightly. Coat a que tip with alcohol and push in while lifting. Try and lift all away around the throttle tube. Liberal use of alcohol breaks down the adhesive over a short period of time. If the alcohol doesn't loosen the adhesive then you're going to have to cut them off. This works on factory grips but who knows what glue is used on individual bikes. Hope this helps. Wardie
  5. tbolt

tbolt Cubicle Prisoner

Oddometer:
    Here's what my research has revealed:

The stock throttle grip comes from the factory bonded to the throttle tube. So you can't use the air compressor (or Windex) methods. Your options are whittling the grip off the tube, or buying something like this: http://www.kientech.com/DR350ReplacementThrottlePipe.htm

The DR350 throttle tube/grip assembly has the same part # as the DR200 so that naked tube should work.
  6. HeReTiK

HeReTiK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could remove old throttle grip/tube and cut off the grip. Then slide on the new one, you will probably need to glue it. That's what I would do to avoid buying a new tube.
  7. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    For some strange reason Suzuki vulcanizes the grip to the throttle tube on the DR200s and DR650s. You can cut them off with an exacto knife but much simpler to just replace the throttle tube.
  8. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. Guess I'll have to start looking for a DR200 to go with my DR650.

Dave
  9. wavygravy87

wavygravy87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gots a DR650, and the throttle side grip was absolutely ridiculous. However, the EASIEST way to get it off, is........use a wire wheel (like mounted on a bench grinder) and press it firmly onto it, and presto. Turns your grip to a big pile of dust, and the throttle tube will be unscathed as long as you stay awake during your grinding and dont put a ton of pressure in one spot. :D
  10. antpatterson

antpatterson XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer:
    Anyone know where to get a DR200SE rear hub cheap? Or the entire rear wheel if cheaper?
  11. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye on Ebay for a while. When they (DR200 wheels) do show up they are rediculously cheap.

--
    Mikko
  12. tbolt

tbolt Cubicle Prisoner

Oddometer:
    Newb question: I'd like to get some spare spokes for my DR. Do I just order the "spoke set" off the parts fiche or is there a better source?
  13. CaliBlonde

CaliBlonde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, my 2007 200se (2,400 miles) has been cutting out after deceleration. Its not sputtering and is intermittent. It may or may not restart after hitting the starter button after it cuts out (thus the death part :pep). It will always restart after sitting for a period of more than 10 minutes. Any ideas where I can start looking for the problem?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  14. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    These bikes are very simple, so there aren't all that many things that can cause a problem like that.
    First area to look at would be the carburetor.

Does it cut out more frequently when engine is still little cold, or more likely after riding it for a while?

After it dies and won't start again, have you tried to start it with choke on or off?

--
    Mikko
  15. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Plugged tank vent? Next time it stops, open the gas cap and see if the tank is pressurized. If you hear a wooosh of air then your vent hose is plugged/kinked. Pull the hose and make sure you can blow through it, bugs/spiders sometimes nest in a hose and plug it.
  16. CARRERASBAJA

CARRERASBAJA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    off of my 2002 DR200se that has been sold but I kept the spares. I had one of the spokes break and could not find or should I say could not just buy one from Suzuki parts. I ended up buying the whole rear wheel spoke set and replaced them all. The part number for the set is 65320-42AA0. You can order the set from Suzuki parts but I cannot recall what I paid for them. If you need a few I can send you a couple your way.

I don't have the DR200 anymore but it was a great bike. I wish I still had it. My last trip in March to see the Baja 250 would of been a lot better on the DR instead of the nighthawk 250 that I took.

17. HeReTiK

HeReTiK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to do more dirt this summer than usual. Would would be the best wheely-poppin sprocket ratio?
  18. CARRERASBAJA

CARRERASBAJA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a few rear wheel spokes from a 2002 DR200SE , if anyone wants a few as spares just let me know. Free, just pay shipping which should be around a couple dollars.
    Also have a extra seat off a DR125 (blue in color with slight rip on the letter S in the Suzuki Lettering). I will post it in Fleamarket later today or tomorrow $10 plus shipping. Decent seat just that little tear but it fit on mr DR200 so I am sure it can fit on other years.
  19. Sprig

Sprig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With as big as I am ... and I still think stock is to short ...

You must need a 14T up front, and 65T on the rear.

I'm not to sure you could keep the front end down with that sprocket set ...

THAT is what you wanted?
  20. HeReTiK

HeReTiK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    65T!? Sounds a bit extreme. Awesome though. Might have to try this.