1971 Honda CB500 K0 Restoration - Done!

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Skowinski, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    Thanks much for all the ideas! I have signed up on the sohc4 forum, and it looks like a great resource.

redryder2 - thanks for the tip on the old copy of Cycle, might have to grab that.

wmax351 - looks like my other fork leg doesn't have mounts for the disc. Anyway I don't think I'll be riding this bike very fast. :D

CoyoteCowboy and JBMorse - thanks for the tips on electronic ignitions, steering head and swingarm bearings, etc.

LoCoMatt - good luck with your project!

And, bmwhacker - that's a cool story, honeymoon on a bike, cool, if she is the right kind of woman. :lol3

In the stage of repeatedly circling the bike in the garage, and making a mental list of things it needs. Probably should start writing this stuff down...
  2. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    "Bing-bing-bing"-- that sets off a minor alarm. Check the front wheel (hub, bearings, etc) closely. A spare wheel and hub isn't casually tossed into a deal.

That sounds similar to the "Dyna Points Booster" I use on my bike, and that setup is very recommended.

Yes! That is a good approach.

This will be a good resto thread.
  3. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Yep, all the bearings are going to be replaced anyway.

I read up on the Hondaman electronic ignition system. Just ordered one, sounds like the way to go. Only about $80, 5 year warranty, and if it goes FFFFfffffttttzzzzz... you take a few minutes and switch the wires and ride off using the stock points/condenser ignition, which remains on the bike.

Looks like most stuff I need is available. A few things are apparently hard to find, the airbox and the right side handlebar switch. My switch is old, faded, and the starter button fell out at some point (you can start it now by using the end of a mechanical pencil to push the internal part of the button assembly :D).

[​IMG]

Somehow I got lucky, found a guy on the SOHC4 forum who had a handlebar switch, new old stock. And, a complete airbox assembly, all bolts, clamps, filter, even a stock tool kit, showed up on ebay - I snagged it like a weasel jumping out of the bushes and grabbing a chicken.

[​IMG]
  4. noman

noman Long timer

Oddometer:
    you'll have fun with this, for sure.

have refreshed quite a few mid-seventies cb550/750's, one thing i use all the time is a hand held impact driver. i use it to remove those stupidly soft phillips head screws that are eveywhere (then i replace with allen heads). most times, i don't even try to use a screwdriver, i just smack 'em all to loosen then have at it.

good luck!
    bobp
  5. wmax351

wmax351 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Worth trying an electric impact driver too. I have one of the 12 volt craftsman ones. Its a great tool for motorcycles. Doesn't strip even the worthless cheese head phillips screws on old japanese bikes. Hell of a lot faster too. If it doesn't get something out, then it is time for the hand impact driver.
    RobbieO likes this.
  6. BWatson

BWatson Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm restoring the same bike! Looking forward to watching your build.
  7. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Cool! I'm collecting photos of these things new, to reference during the rebuild. I can send them at some point if you want. Maybe you have some. :evil

noman and wmax351: Those damn old phillips screws, yeah, what did they make those out of, old melted down beer cans? :lol3 I was raised on 70's street bikes, and will never forget wrestling with them, stripping them, drilling them out, uggh... I think I said this isn't going to be a concours museum restoration, anything that can be improved (like an electronic ignition, for example) will likely get done, as long as it doesn't compromise the looks of the bike, I do want it to look original as much as possible. Yep, it might offend some purists, but allen heads are going in the engine cases everywhere those phillips head screws are...
  8. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Yep, you'll get that way. :lol3

Look around for a "parts breaker"-- they buy old bikes, and part them out. Back in the car days, we'd call them "junkyards". I know that there are a couple for BMW bikes, and I suspect that there are some that specialize in your type of bike. I've never checked for your type.
  9. noman

noman Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey skow,
    the full-on "resto" guys may sneer at non-OEM upgrades but f them. am currently just beginning my rebuild of a K6, starting with tapered roller head bearings. triples were stripped and painted today, and ready for the install tomorrow (stem in the freezer overnight, bearings heated w/wifes hairdrier and they'll plop right on).

then it's a full refresh on the forks (strip/clean, Progressive springs, synth fork oil, painted lowers, etc). then wheel bearings, tires, brakes, yahoo! until spring.

all this stuff makes for a better, more reliable ride than original. and i'll ride this somebitch without wincing over every new stone chip. :lol3
  10. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    I'm not a "restorer" so anything I change from original to make the bike better will not worry me. The looks need to be near original, but beyond that...

I forgot about those old ball bearing steering head bearings, is that what's in there? Seems I have dim memories of having those stupid ball bearings falling out when the triple clamps and steering stem are removed... yeah, tapered roller bearings for sure.

noman - where did you source the tapered roller steering head bearings?

Was just looking around for the best deal on new OEM exhaust systems, and noticed this:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1971-honda-cb500/o/m9140#sch394585

The mounting brackets, parts 5,6,9,10 here (if this link works), don't seem to be sold. Anyone had to deal with getting these? :ear
  11. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    I absolutely love the 500 fours. Back when I was but a lad of about 15, a neighbor who was a lawyer had one. I think this was about 1974 or so. He saw me riding my TM125 over to his neighbors house, (my buddy) and asked me if I knew how to work on bikes. I said yes and he asked me to tune his CB500/4 up and ride it for a week to make sure it was perfect.....I JUMPED AT IT! I rode it home, and wondered why he wanted it tuned up since it had only 1450 miles on it, yes 14 hundred and 50. I changed the plugs, checked the timing and valves, and synced the caerbys. It DID run much cleaner, but I also put new gas in it and used premium. Turns out he had put some premix in there out of a gas can he used for his old ass 2 stoke lawn mower....yes a 2 stroke lawn mower!

Anywho, I roe the hell out of it for a couple weeks to include some show off flattracking in the dirt parking lot of the local high school. Turned out to get me quite the hero rider rep to be seen on it and flattracking it!

Beautiful bike, made me want one forever but I never ended up buying one......
  12. noman

noman Long timer

Oddometer:
    unless upgraded by PO, pretty sure you have ball bearings in the steering head. easy enough to check by loosening the adjustment collar a bit and taking a peek. if they're not "notchy", you might consider leaving them.

if changing them out, make sure you have no open holes for the balls to drop into, ie plugs removed.

got mine from http://www.peakmoto.com $53 shipped by priority

[​IMG]
  13. loggers-road

loggers-road n00b

Oddometer:
    Great bike, nice to see one going back together. Last winter I rebuilt a 1978 CB750 Super Sport, a complete teardown and a joy to see finished. The bike is a blast to ride extremely reliable and fast with all four of those cylinders.

Attached Files:

14. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your lawyer friend should have kept a closer eye on you! :lol3

Thanks! Those tapered rollers are going in, doesn't matter what the condition of the originals are. Same for wheel bearings and swingarm bearings/bushings.

Cool old Honda!
  15. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    In case anyone else is reading and has the same problem, I found a source for the muffler brackets:

http://www.cmsnl.com/products/cb500-cb550-muffler_cb500setstay/

Apparently they are reproductions of the OEM parts. That won't bother me one bit, no one will know but me!

Oh, and I discovered that just ordering OEM mufflers off a website like BikeBandit, especially if you are a AMA member and thus get a 10% discount, is much cheaper than buying from some of the guys who sell these muffler sets on ebay. Like about $200 cheaper... :deal
  16. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Well, the electronic ignition arrived. Planning to mount the new points/condenser plate, get it set up and running, then install this. It will be nice to effectively have two ignitions systems, a backup in case of failure!

[​IMG]

And, a really great guy from the SOHC4 forum sent me two right side handlebar switches to inspect, with instructions to just choose which one I wanted and send the other back. Didn't ask for any money in advance. How often does someone help out like that? Thanks Tom! I decided on the one on the right, which although somewhat more faded (the other is NOS) is the more correct part for my bike. Sent him the other one back along with some cash.

[​IMG]

Sure looks better than what's on there, not to mention the fact that it has a starter button.

[​IMG]
  17. TeneRay

TeneRay Emotional Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to warn you, SOHC4's can become and addiction.

I've owned a '78 750F in the past an now have one '72 750 runner and one '72 750 project. I don't know what it is about these old fours but I just can't get enough of them.

Have fun!
  18. BWatson

BWatson Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking for a update on your project. Here is mine K0, maybe a little inspiration?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  19. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Very nice! You are way ahead of us. Probably be at that point in a month or so.

Edit: how did you get the engine so clean?

Here are a few pics from this weekend, finally got it up on the work stand, and started working on getting down to the bare frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, noticed some things about the wiring harness. Looks like some of these connectors got hot at one time. Reminds me of my old GS1000 Suzuki. When the stator went on those it would really get the connectors to it hot. Not sure that is what caused this yet though.

[​IMG]

And, a few spots where the insulation is rubbed off (or melted?). No big deal, easily fixed.

[​IMG]
  20. MSrider

MSrider Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer:
    Hey, nice bike to start with. Very good condition for building.

Super nice work. Did you clean the engine(cylinder block and cases) or is it painted? :thumb