Husqvarna TE-610 Owners Sign In Thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by buffallodan, Aug 3, 2006.

1. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cut the gas off before I kill the engine. Bought mine used with 125 miles on it, and while we standing there in the parking lot talking about it formed a puddle on the pavment with the petcock open. Don't forget.two oil drain plugs.
  2. fletch123

fletch123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Offroute,

I just pm you with my contact info.

Fletch
  3. offroute

offroute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Am I missing something? Looking at the owners manual I see that I need to open two drain plugs to change my oil. Underneath the bike it looks like one is an allen type and the other is a std hex type. I don't have a tool in my kit that fits the allen type plug. Was this supposed to be in my factory supplied tool kit for this bike - '06 TE610? There is a hex tool in the bag that appears to be a mm or two too big for this plug.
  4. fletch123

fletch123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Offroute,

I was standing right next to you at Reno Cycles buying some oil. You had just walked out. when I started b.s.ing with the parts guy and telling your story about the gas flooding mishap, and he says ya the guy just walk out. I ran out to catch ya but you were already motoring off on your DL.

Anyhow, yeah your right there's two drain plugs, and no allen wrench in the tool kit for the one plug.

The allen that's in the tool kit is to loosen the front axle nut. I just found this out the hard way yesterday. I went on a 400 mile weekend ride with 16 guys at to Gerlach and the Blackrock from Truckee. All dirt. Got a front flat as soon as we got into Nevada. Thats when I figured out what the allen was for. Actually one the guys that stopped to help me out figure it out. I was feeling alittle stupid saying stuff like I just got the bike I'm not sure if I have an allen wrench. Anyway this brings up a couple of points.

One; carry a 10 mm socket. I was lucky I brought one, and not just the open end wrench. The guy who assembled the bike way over tighten the bolts and the heads would have stripped without a socket.

Two; change the tubes before they go flat. Maybe this is standard pratice thing to do, but I didn't know. When we pulled the tube out one of the veteran riders laugh and said no wonder you got a flat, look at that cheapshit tube they put in there. I thought all tubes were created equeal.

In regards to the trip itself, it was a blast. Other than the flat the bike performed flawlessly. I rode hard and thru all kinds of terrian and it didn't let me down and it safed my ass more than once.

In closing the I think the te610 has some minor glitchy shit that can be dealt with, but underneath the engine supspension and brakes are top notch. Besides it's fun to be the only husky in a group of xr 650s

Hey one other note to pass along. Your only good for 125 miles of hard riding on a full tank before you run out including reserve. I found this out the hard way also. Fourtunately I was only a mile from the gas station, and one of the xrs with the big tank gave me shot to get to the station. Defintely looking forward to a bigger tank.

Fletch
  5. offroute

Oddometer:
    Fletch,

Great info and the ride sounds like it would have been great fun. Did you guys camp or motel? Am anxious to get my problems sorted out so I can do a similar riding adventure on the thing.

Found a 10mm allen and changed the oil tonight. Significant amount of gas in the oil, and my entire drain was about 1 5/8 liters. Tried to get every drop out but I think I'll only ride 50 or so miles and change it again as I hate the thought of there being an gas in the residual. I also think I found the culprit that caused the flooding problem: there is a vent or overflow tube that comes straight out of the bottom of the float bowl and immediately has to make a bend because of it's proximity to the engine case. This tube was routed in such a way that it was kinked.
    [​IMG]
    This is that way it came from the factory. Would not pass air. I rerouted the thing to prevent this from happening again. What I don't understand is that if this is supposed to be a overflow vent/vent, the thing being routed straight up to the backbone of the frame would prevent it from draining a stuck float (the combustion chamber would be lower) and it seems like I could end up with the same problem of gas in the crankcase again. That would be a real drag if I was in the middle of the black rock desert!

You might want to check your bike and see if you have this same kink. Also, in taking off the tank it became apparent that the reserve valve on the left side of the tank does not turn off completely - and so turning off the tank valves every time I stop the engine would not really prevent endless flooding into the airbox and combustion chamber again. I'm going to ask for a replacement valve as this can't be right. Have you had your tank off to see if your valves both have a full-tite off? Main petcock is ok on mine.

One other thing you might check is the engine breather tube that goes into the backside of the airbox. There is an elbow there that is so lose that it is practically falling out. Since this thing is on the "clean air" side it poses a real hazard for bringing dust directly into the intake. I had to wrap the elbow with electrical tape to provide a tight enough seal for it to feel secure and leak-proof. Kind of disappointing to see such a cheesy fitting on this.

In any case, I have very high hopes that all this will get sorted out. Am glad I have ripped into the thing and am anxious to have my emissions stuff fall off soon. Just need to get it licensed next week. I'll give you a call regarding the brackets.
  6. buffallodan

buffallodan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would be highly pissed if my bike shop didn't catch the drain vent routing not as much because I couldn't fix it easily but that it implies they didn't check a darn thing. Well I guess most experienced riders woudn't trust a shop to set a bike up correctly anyway :wink: and we are getting experienced quick because of Husky's poor QC on assembly.
    Another specific thing to check are the triple clamp torque settings as these wrere way over torqued on mine and the case bolts were loose on first change. I guess it is standard practice to check all bolts and locktite what you can...this way we become more familiar with our steed. :D

Dan
  7. offroute

Oddometer:
    When I talked to the guy at the shop who was the supposed Husky expert he seemed clueless about the two oil screens - where they were etc. And they sold over 20 TE610s this year! And so I think it is pretty obvious why I feel it is important to track down all these issues myself.

Dan, I just picked up my Cycra handguards from Dan at MotoXotica. Any tips on mounting these puppies before I did it. Dan sold me the special drill bit, but am curious if you have any other tips before I dive in. BTW - I sure appreciate the effort you've made to organize the threads for us TE-610 guys. It is proving very helpful.
  8. buffallodan

buffallodan Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the bit is a straight bit it should be 33/64". I used a special bit first not sure the name but it has incremental cutting so you can drill a hole gradually larger, the reason I used it first was it has less contact area so there was less chance of binding. The problem was it was 1/2" and when I used the 33/64" it tried to bind on me; so having the proper bit makes all the difference. If you drill slowly and ensure the bars can't move you should be fine. On mounting the guards they really need to be bent as they won't sit flat against the end of the bar. I couldn't budge mine using a vise to hold it but I am a wuss perhaps as someone else was able to...I would also lube the threads of the screws that go into the aluminum ferrels as you need to tighten them pretty snug. Longer screws would give complete contact in ferrels as well as being stronger if they aren't threaded all the way, two of us have broken the screws already. I would lube the bolts that mount to the aluminum piece that is bolted to the clamps as well to minimize stress on tightening.
    p.s. make sure you like the grips you have because you won't want to remount the barends once you get it done, and that sweet cam that Ray sells would need to go on as well :evil...
    Good luck and let us know if it goes O.K. :D

BTW thanks for the props on the index, just trying to do my bit :wink:

Dan
  9. onebaduce

onebaduce .

Oddometer:
    Just in case any of you replace your bars or trash the bolts here is the part munber.

1053-02, that is for a set of the aluminum wedges and the bolts.

rick@cycraracing.com Rick is the sales manager direct.

Joe

10. Magus

Magus Time and Tide... Supporter

Oddometer:
    If this thread is still for sign-in than I am officially signing in! Just picked up my '06 TE610 today - used with about 2200 miles on it. I just sold a DR650 and thought I was going to get something smaller and more dirt worthy (really liked the 450 and 510) but the 610 came up close to me and it was a good deal - so maybe not smaller than the DR from a general cc/size standpoint but certainly more dirt worthy. I'll be heading to Big Bend in a few weeks for some riding -- shoudl be fun.
  11. offroute

Oddometer:
    Congrats Magus. You'll find all the TE-610 guys around here very helpful. I've had some early issues to deal with on mine, but they seem to be sorted out and I had a great high sierra ride with it this afternoon. I can tell there are many days of fun ahead on these things.
  12. Hoder

Hoder Card carrying greeny

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I haven't seen these mentioned anywhere so I thought I'd bring them up. I just saw them hanging in the bike shop & picked up two. I'm not sure how well they'll work yet but they look better than cutting & bending a regular set of tappet gauges. Nice & compact.
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any one who changed jetting or springs please add your changes to "TE610 Jetting" and TE610 Springs".

Thanks
  14. buffallodan

buffallodan Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw some but easy to miss in 15 pages of chat without much technical info. There is a great index of KTM technical info but they are each in seperate threads so you can do a search. How about getting the same level of info for Husky.
  16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Join the Dust Devils in Reno. Also check out the Dual Sport rides at http://www.district37ama.org/dualsport/ridingevents.php I put on one out of Topaz and several to Death Valley out of Ridgecrest. there are also a few Dual Sport rides in District 36 but they don't have a web site you must contact each club's site.
  17. buffallodan

buffallodan Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean something like this:Husqvarna TE/SM-610 Index Thread

Keep in mind the 610 as released in 2006 is just getting to be known. I have over 5000 miles on mine and have done my best to become knowlegable but only time will give us a more comprehensive resource of info...

Dan

btw you can recommend and or start threads for the Index :wink: :D
  18. offroute

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will check into both groups ASAP.
  19. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. buffallodan

buffallodan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once we get 20,000 views I am going to petition the management :evil, but in the meantime I guess we need to bump it more often perhaps by adding new threads. I am gonna do a complete tear down this winter and do a write up on regreasing and at the same time do a write up on most of the mods I will have done including tank, rad guards, lighting ...winter, I will have the time to dedicate to some write ups and work a little more on the Index as well...

Dan