Spectating Dakar 2014??

Discussion in 'Americas' started by modernbeat, Dec 12, 2012.

1. modernbeat

modernbeat Jason McDaniel

Oddometer:
    Assuming it's still in South America, which it looks like it will be, my girlfriend and I are planning a driving trip from Texas to South America to spectate at the 2014 Dakar.

Yes, driving, not riding. Going to take a Toyota truck on this one. Something to camp out of.

Not worried about the trip down and back. Did it in 1990 and there's lots of coverage on that from overlanding sites that share all the wheres and hows.

Looking for info on following the circus, camping near the teams, getting into the bivouacs, etc...

Saw this topic on bivouac access with some tips on buying or begging a one day pass: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833709

Does anything like that exist for the entire event? Is it easier to be attached some way to a team? Does the ASO have spectating guides or something like that?

I've followed Dakar for years through TV and print coverage, and for the last decade on the internet. I never paid attention to spectating resources or oppertunities because I was always in North America.

Now that I have the freedom to take off for months at a time I want to see it live.
  2. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seeing it live will be awesome. Trying to follow it every day will not. You're better off choosing some days and getting ahead of the race, camping out at an awesome spot, and letting the whole race go by, planning to catch it again later.

The Bivouac is awesome. The info in the other thread is as complete as I can offer...
  3. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate you!

Go for it, and don't forget to post regular updates while there, for those of us who did not take the leap.
  4. modernbeat

modernbeat Jason McDaniel

Oddometer:
    I should have stated in the original post I wasn't literally going to trail the rally, but leapfrog it so I could be one of those guys watching the racers.

And RDWalker, from my last two trips in South America in '88 (three weeks) and '90 (eight months) I have exactly TWO photographs, but lots of memories. I've proposed to a number of my friends, and even my girlfriend, that they come with me either in my truck, or convoy. But no takers yet.

Maybe I take a few more photos this time to feed the F5 guys. I know they like to have a connection to someone actually there.
  5. Leminkainen

Leminkainen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am heading down to SA about the same time next year let me know what your plans are as you finalize them.. .maybe meet up for part of it.

Lem
  6. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huanuco, Peru, SA, home in Mid-Coast Maine, USA
    It's not easy to follow as Neduro says. I was there this year on the Peru portion with my Adventure Moto Tour company. It is crazy, traffic, few directions, and miles of desert sand to cross to try to see anything of the race...

I will be back in 2014. Maybe w'ell meet up!

Trouble is too that it should be running south to north this time. So you will have to go all the way south, then follow it back north!
  7. nanox14

nanox14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning to catch the dakar on 2014, I live in Venezuela so its a little closer but still a LOOONG ride down there,, i just wanna know how many days would take at a nice pace,, lets say 15 days to santiago de chile?? thanks for the help.. sorry for the highjack
    :D:D
  8. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nanox,

Yes, riding from Venezuela will be a long run. If you can't take that much time, fly down to Cuzco, Peru and join us to catch the last part of the Dakar!

Cheers! Toby
  9. bend27

bend27 by hook or by crook

Oddometer:
    Still going?
  10. Buddha135

Buddha135 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody going to be spectating Dakar 2014 on bikes? I am trying to join up with a group or tour.
  11. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had to cancel mine due to new border laws! But in 2015 the Dakar will be back in Peru!