Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. henerythe8th

henerythe8th just stumbling through life...

Oddometer:
    My biggest concern was protection of the 02 sensors and associated
    wiring...

Looks cool? Hell, it will disappear when it's installed.
  2. RAD3766

RAD3766 0ld n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that information Peter. :thumb
  3. Cloudhopper

Cloudhopper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I heard ofe complains about the weak center stand spring, but not of anyone damaging the o2 sensors or their wiring due to the lack of such a piece of protection.
  4. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question Peter,

Did you have to drill out the cable lug or is the hole size large enough to use on the larger bolts?
  5. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    RE drilling out the ECU ground lug...I can't remember. It seems to me that the OEM stud was 6mm and the one I went to was 8mm so if I did have to drill it out it wasn't a big deal. Remember, we are talking about copper.

One point I failed to make, these studs are doing double duty. On the male end they are securing the ground and on the female end they are the attachment point for the starter cover. It seems to me that every time you take the starter cover off you are inviting problems with the ground. If I'm wrong, it ain't the first time.

Peter Y.
  6. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem with a Maier Cyclone screen I rigged on my former 950SE. I didn't need to be able to look through it, so I sprayed the back side with satin black Krylon Fusion. Cured the problem.

Pardon the pics of a different species, but they might help.

From the cockpit:

[​IMG]

From the front:

[​IMG]

I liked the opaque look.
  7. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries, I've always like the 950SE. I think a 750SE could rock my world.

The screen looks very good on that bike, makes me think of what a Street Triple R needs.

I had a smoked screen on my BMW R100RS but the instruments were some distance from the screen so no reflection problems.
  8. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since this is my first Guzzi I'm still trying to understands what's "normal".

I get a very noticeable oscillating high frequency vibration around an indicated 76-78 mph. It really stands out and I can feel it in the seat and footpegs. It gives the impression of a driveline vibration but if I pull in the clutch it changes so it's not purely driveline.

It may be common to Guzzis and quite normal, I'm not sure. I didn't get to do long enough test rides to pick up "what's normal" or "common".

I haven't mounted up my GPS yet so I'm not certain what the speedo error is. I "think" it's about 2-3 mph high.
  9. DC Chad

DC Chad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bloody hell how cool is that :freaky:D:D:D:D
  10. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    Check your engine mount bolts under the tank. Mine were loose.

Speedo error on mine is ~4% (reads high, of course).
  11. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Some loose bolts could make sense. I don't remember feeling it initially.

I need to do a thorough going over to check for loose bolts etc. I'd like to pull the tank just to see how things look under there.

I just realized last night the fuel tank is plastic, very cool.
  12. 03x2

03x2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine broke off there ages ago. Hope the updated version lasts longer.
  13. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is how the updated version looks on my 2013. I think it was updated in 2012, not sure when.

[​IMG]
  14. Nextmove

Nextmove Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did try doing a search on the forum but wanted a specific Stelvio slant, which is sure to be in this marathon thread somewhere, but where?

Anyhoo, I know a few of you use Airhawks, and I've had one on a previous bike which had a concrete seat. It was brilliant, once I worked out that it needs to have very little air in it. My '12 Stelvio is very comfy as is but a couple of 500 mile day trips recently have left certain bits of anatomy a little tender, so I'm considering either a medium cruiser (I think that's the appropriate size) or the new 'R' model which has a tank cutout at the front and also supposedly takes a bit of pressure off the 'nads. Has anyone out there had any experience of the 'R' (and if not, have I guessed right for the medium cruiser)?
  15. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well OK here it is. I only have a couple of miles on the CalSci +4 (medium) and it is a love/hate relationship. Nice calm bubble behind the screen and no helmet buffeting. BUT the top of the windshield is right in my line of sight and the small chip on the top edge sure does catch the sunlight. I am 5'10" and have the seat in the low position. The windshield is in the lowest position.

I will ride it to work on the highway tomorrow but for my taste it is just too tall.

I think I will get with my windshield guy and have him lop 2" off then it should be just right.

Marc
  16. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the initial feedback. What position did you have it in, all up or all down, or ?

I'm 5' 9" and was thinking it was going to be too tall for me. I don't really want one taller than stock, only one with smoother air flow.

Let us know how the -2" goes, seems about right to me also.

I'm thinking to mock up my own laminar lip deal and see how it works. I think better under screen flow plus control of the flow over the top is what's needed.

I like the straighter shape of the CalSci screen better than stock. I find the stock shape kinda strange. Mine is tolerable with it near the top and my visor shut. With my visor open any speed over 35 mph is unbearable and lowering it visor open or shut is unbearable.

I've got some thoughts on an adjustable "madstadd style" adjustable angle bracket. I won't duplicate his as I want to retain some of the stock setup. The stock brackets are really nicely made.
  17. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I have an Airhawk R, but I've since gone back to just using the stock seat bare. I didn't feel like it really made any improvement. I wonder if the stock seat just needs some break-in time as I found it uncomfortable at first but now I like it.

I'll sell the Airhawk if you want it, it's dusty but holds air just fine.
  18. Demar39

Demar39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Oct 2012 looks like that
  19. Ham

Ham Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I was 5' 9" I would stick with the original shield. For some reason they make all motorcycle shield for guys your size. And if you look at who does the test rides its the same thing. Just enjoy.
  20. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I picked up my bike in July 2012 and it doesn't have the extra gusset. I don't know the build date offhand.