Introducing the Northern New England Adventure Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Canuman, Mar 3, 2012.

1. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Very cool initiative. Thank you.
  2. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any updates to these tracks? Any updates planned before August?

I'm in the initial planning stages of a week long trip from Boston. Looking for big-bike stuff. Was originally thinking of going up around the Cabot Trail, but to make it up to Nova Scotia and back in a week would require a lot of superslab, now that the Cat Ferry is out of the equation.

Was thinking instead of running up the Puppy Dog then following the Northern New England Adventure Trail over to the NE corner of Maine there and then working my way back down.

I figure 2 days for the Puppy Dog, and then 3 days for the NNEAT?
  3. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    All ready have vacation put in for work, and I just started this job this year, so vacation days are hard to come by. Picked that week because I'll be riding with BostonRider, who starts classes again in September.
  5. tdvt

tdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been checking out the NNEAT route, specifically the Burke to Canaan section.

I'm thinking that might be a day trip for me starting here in Greensboro. Canuman, how does that section break down as far as trail/dirt/paved?
  6. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I just put together some fresh tracks for that section this weekend, although the old ones will work. I'd say it's at least 90% unpaved. PM me with your email and I'll send you a bunch of stuff. You could do a full day in there.
  7. Gordon Gilbert

Gordon Gilbert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow this is the cats ass. Whatever that means. Been looking for a decent 3-6 day trip on the trusty ole drs for me and my bud. . Canuman fantastic work. I would be more than willing to ride any sections of this that need validating, at some point in Sept. Please keep me posted. And two things, if you have any additional or more detailed info which you could forward me. Fantastic.

Also, On my way up to Gaspe, PEI and Cape Breton with the girl on the gs in the next few days. Any Gaspe and maritime info for a rather vertically challenged (5' 5") gs rider with a passenger and gear. (looks like mostly slab as dumping the "pig "with the woman on the back would probably be frowned upon. (i.E. solo from that point on.......hey wait a minute?)

Since i will be doing the new England trail on the dr solo with my bud on his.........giddy up bring on the madness.

God I love this site.
    Love and kisses

Helmet
  8. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Canuman,
    I tried loading the various files. So far I have Summit to Forks, Canaan Eustis Alt and Forks to Houlton. These work for my Garmin software. Summit to Forks Alt will not work for me. It seems to require loading a whole map rather than the tracks/waypoints only. After the warning that it may take a few hours to load it, I bailed. Is there a chance that you can repost it in a way that works for my Mapsource software? Thanks!
  9. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Let me work on that. I had a crash that wiped a bunch of the files. I'll see what I can put together.
  10. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm also trying to combine the detour with the original route, good topo exercise for sure!
  11. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for what you gave us. Sorry about your crash. I don't suppose it'll buff right out.:D
  12. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far so good, watch out for the logging trucks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Erinaceous likes this.
  13. Piston

Piston Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see some pics on this thread! :D
  14. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well you can see a ride report in progress here. It's 8 pages of planning but the report starts here
  15. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All I can say is "Wow"
    I live in southern VT and have a BMW 650 Sertao. I am an accomplished woods rider on my Husaberg but the fact is, that the beemer weighs over 450 with my gear. I have ridden the puppy dog and that was awesome. I would love to connect to something of mostly gravel roads and secondary paved roads to Maine for sure. Canada, NH would be awesome too. I am currently kitting out my Sertao and will be setting up a Garmin Zumo 660.
    I'm new to adventure biking so I'd love some sage advice. You can PM me if you'd like.
    Thanks allot!
  16. divimon2000

divimon2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Canuman,

Nice work, thanks. Also I like your view on the land, I spend a lot of time in the Dak's and have checked out much of the history. Durant was the most interesting story to me, but there are sooo many. ANyway, is there a way to link me to the google map route of the Maine section? We're planning our way back from Gaspe this June and I'd like to try it.
  17. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I'm working on a new route that hooks up with the Gaspe. To be completely honest, there are certain large sections of the Maine route that trouble me. In my experience, the situation with land ownership has been very fluid over much of the route that's not on public roads. One season, a section will be perfectly legal. The next, ownership will have changed, and it will be illegal. Certain of the timber companies have been quite liberal about allowing motorcycle access. Several of them are absolutely not, and private corporations and individuals are purchasing large tracts of land with the intention of prohibiting almost all motorized access. Most of the Allagash/North Maine Woods is off-limits to legal motorcycle travel, as is Katadhin.

Try this: take a map and look at the border of Quebec, New Hampshire, and Maine. Starting at Canaan, VT, Route 253 heads north towards Hereford, QC. Following tightly along the western border of NH and Maine, there appears to be a fairly good collection of mostly gravel roads that can be connected up as far as Matane, QC.

I did quite a lot of mapping for this route last year. Unfortunately, it was lost in a computer crash. I intend to re-start the project when the weather gets better.

It appears that this route may have more promise. It goes through some very wild country, but does not appear at this point to have the access restrictions that plague Maine. It connects into the TCAT, and offers access into many rides across Canada.

The current NNEAT route is attached as a GPX file, which can be imported into Google Maps or Google Earth.
  18. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    I have tried to open this file in Streets and trips and Delorme to no avail. Your other files work fine...

Thanks for all the work:clap
  19. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Looks a little familar :lol3
  20. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure I joined all three segments into one workable route with delorme mapping tools last summer while planning, if anybody wants me to dig it up let me know.