Trans america trail on honda ct90's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cycles East, Apr 22, 2013.

1. DocAxeYarYar

DocAxeYarYar RideDualSport.com

Oddometer:
    Wow, only one of the original crew made it all the way, sounds like a lot of blood, sweat and tears shed on the way! Big props, very inspiring! :clap
  2. 50short

50short Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Cycles East guys are machines! Way to go. Regardless of what any haters might say, the CT90 is one of the most capable, purpose-built machines in dualsport history. Not designed for hardcore, long distance touring but certainly capable of doing it. There are few bikes I'd rather set off on an adventure with...and I've ridden'em all.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us and pass your knowledge on to us ADV'ers.

I'll be traveling 400 miles roundtrip on a CT90 (mostly offroad) from western Minnesota to the Aerostich rally in Duluth over the 3rd week in August. Look for the RR in coming days. Unsupported, solo, camping as I go. Hopefully there'll be plenty of pics. And for those of you TALL CT'ers, pay attention, I'm 6'5". There is no bike I'd rather ride.

Best regards to all!
  3. Marc LaDue

Marc LaDue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys will look back on this adventure for the rest of your lives. Thanks for going to all the trouble of taking us along. I can only imagine the energy it takes to type and upload text and images at the end of the day. Some friends of mine and I have been attempting to complete the mid-section of the original TAT (with Hancock and Tomichi) for the past three years and didn't get it done until this year! And even though we had no breakdowns to speak of, and even though we ate out and ate well each and every meal, and even though we slept in freshly made beds after taking daily showers, we didn't post one single peep or picture.
    Now, some of this is of course due to the fact we are for the most part luddites, fat, and well over fifty (some of us way over), but aside from that, it basically comes down to just doing it, whether you feel like it or not. And if you can't do it then learn!
    You've given me new inspiration to educate myself on how to actually use my Garmin (for more than just finding Chinese Food), my GoPro, my Spot, my laptop, all of which I've ignorantly owned and taken along for a number of years now, but rarely used successfully.
    And if someday you see one of my trip narratives (which I always write after-the-fact completely without pics), you'll know you and your ragtag collection of oddball daredevils were the catalyst and spark responsible.

LaDue
  4. LashLarue

LashLarue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having ridden a ct90 for over 20 years, this ride report was still a learning experience for me. The trip wrap up post is gold, if I can I want to get it onto the ct90 sites for reference.

Don't ditch the bikes, you still have Big Bend in Texas and Barstow in NV to run!
  5. LashLarue

LashLarue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    50 - good luck on your adventure. Some of the guys have made mods for the tall. Check the Yuki ct90 site for a project that raised the seat about 2 inches. And you can do long shocks (I have) but they cause the center stand to come up short. Easy fix, I just added a sidestand and it works great.
  6. Katze

Katze Full Time Rider

Oddometer:
    So... let me get this right. You are sitting at your computer and you're disappointed about this RR??

So what? Who the fuck are you?

These guys build funky little bikes that were made to haul a 10 year old girl to the store in India into TAT bikes, they ride the shit the wrong way, they get hurt, they ride many miles per day on these POS machines and YOU... YOU Sir have the lack of character to be all pissed off cuz they want to tell the rest of the story on FB?
    These guys are getting fucked up on these bikes for 200 miles a day and YOU, YOU, little worm of a man, sit at your computer and complain because your entertainment is cut off?

FOMF....

I'm doing the TAT in two weeks... I'll never post a word about it here because of FF's like you....

Here is your award....

[​IMG]
    Zenmonkeys likes this.
  7. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need one of those!

8. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    I sincerely hope you don't.
  9. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    I'm with RTWDoug on this - where do i get some. Excellent RR's and patches like this one are why I love ADV Rider.

Now in rebuttal to the rebuttal to my original comments that are causing someone constipation I would like to clarify why this is an excellent RR. The bike build was well documented with plenty of pictures.

The guys were out on the TAT while I was busy working which automatically makes them excellent.

The guys documented some details and shared them with ADV with more excellent pictures.

I love their attitudes which is probably a huge plus just to think up this idea let alone do it. So based on this I am going to vote this a 5 star RR. :D

Thanks again for the Great (excellent) RR.

YK
  10. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    to those that have never tried to do a RR while traveling, it aint easy.
    I stay up late at night, uploading pics, looking for wifi, etc.
    But I like to do them as I travel, because as some of you may know, when I get home, life takes over & I get busy & dont make the time to finish the report.

Posting on more than one place adds to it. Im sure the CE guys had their friends watching on FB, and thought it was more important for people they actually know to follow along, than a bunch of armchair commandos they have never met.

I'll start my RR within a month, & will do my best to keep it updated.

will I finish the report? who knows..... :norton
  11. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should learn to not hold back. It's OK, we can take it, no need to dance around your feelings...

Anyway, just kidding, though it would be pretty damn funny if you did an entire RR with the same pisses-off tone of your post ablve.
  12. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sign me up for one of those badges too! I don't FB, tweet, text or whatever.
    I don't have enough time in the day to do all that socializin'.
    I just love ADV's RR's.

Great job guys on the RR, or at least what I saw of it.
  13. Cycles East

Cycles East Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KATZE ----

We talked about it and decided your are Cycles East material. We want you on board.
  14. Jingamathig

Jingamathig n00b

Oddometer:
    For me it's hard to decide which was worse. The original whiney complaint or the way-over-the-top reply....
  15. *Gmoney*

*Gmoney* Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the old days people that traveled
    left their stories, pictures and thoughts
    on bathroom stall walls.

I followed the story, and I liked it.
    And I did not have to go from stall to stall.
  16. JTBMC

JTBMC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent Ride Report Guys I enjoyed your long Ride, between my short rides. I kept up on fb and on here with no problem.
  17. MegaTooBoo

MegaTooBoo Banned

Oddometer:
    What is the status of the one bike that did make it to Tenn? Someone ended up buying it? If I can sell my Vstrom here in Wisconsin, I'd be interested in buying it and riding it back to Colorado on the TAT and MAYBE all the way to Oregon! I think that would be a fitting end. Then sell the bike to an ADVRider up there. I may buy it even if I don't sell the Vstrom!

Love the ride report. Maybe I missed it but how did you get all your riding gear sponsered?
  18. Cycles East

Oddometer:
    4) Can I ride from West to East?
    No. The TAT Maps and TAT Roll Charts are specifically designed for navigation from East to West, regardless of which state or what part of the trail you decided to start in. Do not even think about attempting to navigate from west to east.
  19. Cycles East

Oddometer:
    Ok, Ok, Ok,,, with all seriousness, does anyone know of, heard of, or read of someone doing the tat with a sidecar (hack) ??????
  20. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    nope, they say it cant be done.:evil