Airbag Jacket any good? ( Hit Air Safermoto jacket & vest)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mikeyoda, Dec 20, 2009.

1. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beth shipped it before I could take pictures of it. That was the 1st one in the States I think :D

Dont go testing it out now :ear
  2. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Poor picture but it will give you some idea. I'll take another, better, photo tomorrow on the bike.

Regarding abrasion resistance -- I wear Safermoto equipment to protect against major trauma like neck, back, rib and chest injuries. I imagine that the Motorrad 2 is not going to be as good as leather, or and Aerostich or Motoport in a long slide on asphalt but it is probably okay and if it protects the body better from serious trauma -- I'm all for it. The $500 plus dollars is nothing compared to a trip to the ER followed by hospitalization for serious injury. My son is an ER doc and he rides -- with a Safermoto vest.

[​IMG]
  3. jamie_rides

jamie_rides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Other tall riders considering this jacket may be interested in the following information I received from the manufacturer:

They also informed me that the length of the sleeve is 66, 68 and 70cm in the L, XL and XXL versions. That doesn't correspond to "sleeve length" for a dress shirt, which is measured from the neck. Because shoulder widths are 57, 60 and 63cm, I estimate a total neck-to-cuff of 94.5, 99.5 and 103.5cm -- which seems plenty long. :clap

Also, as you can see the manufacturer confirms better abrasion resistance in the non-mesh vs. mesh version.

Safermoto, I have written to you about placing an order: I did not see the non-mesh jacket listed on your website, but if you are able to order it I would be pleased to do business with you. :deal

One thing, is your back armor upgrade CE-2 rated or just CE-1? If only CE-1 then maybe it would make sense to adapt a CE-2 insert to this jacket by sewing on some velcro for better protection.
  4. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been riding with the Motorrad 2 mesh jacket for a few days now. Covered about 400 miles here in AZ. Ridden from the Phoenix area (90 - 95 degrees) up through Payson/Strawberry (65 degrees) and back down into the heat.

The mesh jacket flows air very well and has been quite comfortable. I like it a lot.
  5. SaferMoto

Oddometer:
    The last stock sheet I got from the manufacturer showed no stock in the non-mesh Motorrad 2 that is why it is not showing up on the site :D
  6. SaferMoto

Oddometer:
    Thats a good looking jacket :clap
  7. SaferMoto

Oddometer:
    Thinking about a series of short videos to help explain how to choose a vest, set it up on your bike and more.

Here is what i have so far

What size do I need?

How do I attach it to my bike?

How do I repack the vest/jacket?

What is it like when it inflates?

What kind of rider are you?

What happens if I get off my bike and forget to unclip?

Any constructive :D suggestions are appreciated:1drink
  8. Coachgeo

Coachgeo Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NOW: Dayton OH area recent past WAS: North TX
    inflate a vest a rider is wearing w/helmet while also wearing outer wear (rain jacket, water bottle backpack, etc. Both over sized rain wear and average fit. Same with way water bottle is worn, normal and with extra room in how one would strap it on)
  9. SaferMoto

Oddometer:
    Great suggestions thank you :clap
  10. Kainic

Kainic Almost there

Oddometer:
    Looking to pick up an airbag can't decide between getting a MLV or a neck vest. Any pros/cons that can help decide?
  11. SaferMoto

Oddometer:
    MLV offers full back protection all the way down to the coccyx. Neck Vest only stabilizes the head and neck.

The Neck Vest is lighter and has a dual neck Bag. Do you ride with a Hard back protector under your present jacket?

What main types of riding are you doing? What kind of bike do you ride?

Plenty of members here already have the MLV in either the C R or Y flavor some even have the PB and PY. Hopefully they will chime in with their advice :D
  12. Kainic

Kainic Almost there

Oddometer:
    I wear a Marathon Air Mesh Kevlar jacket and ride a F650 Dakar.
  13. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As Safermoto said,unless you already own great back and chest protection,get the vest.

I wear the YS vest,but would probably buy the MLV if I was buying today,for slightly less bulk.

JR356
  14. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Maybe I just need to re-read the instructions ... but a short video on how much "slack" should be in the size adjusters when you put the vest on ... I have mine set for a bit of slop, but not much ...
    now wondering if maybe I'll squash my self it goes of?
    Re-RTFM might be all I need to reassure myself... :lol3
  15. SaferMoto

Oddometer:
    You wont squash yourself :D You should size them so the vest wont "ride" upwards with the wind and also wont "flap" at higher speeds

Thanks for the suggestions and I will add it to the list :clap
  16. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Marc Marquez crashed in practice at Mugello last weekend. He was wearing an inflatable, from Dainese I believe. Since he crashed in practice, all the telemetry on bike and suit was operating & recording. He crashed at 209.9 MPH. That's 209.9 MPH !
    The suit recorded an impact force on his right shoulder of 25G. That should explode any human musculo/skeletal joint. He walked away, albeit stiffly & raced the next day. He did wind up with a fair sized patch of raspberry under his chin, from gravel getting under his Arai, but otherwise, a pretty good result.
  17. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just read that Marc Marquez's air bag suit was A-stars, not Dainese, as stated in earlier post. Impressive, whoever made it.
  18. HalB

HalB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd share my experience having used the product for 5 years. I wear the mlvc.
    it's comfortable I never feel it. It's narrow so air flow block is minimal. It has never gone off by accident. The cord tugs if I forget. I do forget to connect it more than I like and it is not safe trying to do it while riding. Overall I now feel unprotected without it.

The downside is that it looks goofy. I should be too old to care, but people think I am wearing a life vest. guess I am. It just looks too bulky, but I wear the best protection I can. the pavement is very hard.

The good news is that I did a high side crash. Maybe going 50 km/hr. As I was flying through the air like superman I felt the vest tighten up around me. particularly reassuring was the feeling of the space around my neck getting solidly protected under the helmet.. I do believe that it saved me from a hyper extension neck injury.. I landed on my front arms and legs splayed. the chest tubes may have provided some protection but I did land on the cartridge and had 2 cracked ribs there. I was happy to trade the rib injury for the neck protection. but there has to be a better place to put it. I still wear it every ride and have bought a chest protector since.

there are some improvements to be made but until then this is a good product and does what it is supposed to. I'd like to see more riders wearing them because I believe it is one more risk reduction and if more folks wore one I wouldn't feel as goofy looking.
  19. SaferMoto

Oddometer:
    OC Register is looking to do a story on the vests and is looking for some local input.

Anyone available to help? :D

Thanks in Advance

Alan
  20. swann

swann Just practicing...

Oddometer:
    Would Minnesota be considered "local"? :) I only have an embarrassing story but I don't mind sharing if they want to talk to me. Probably be much more impressive to talk with people who actually had it go off at high speed. However, I'm fine with serving as a warning when I can't serve as a good example...