Most Accurate Mapping ?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land' started by Nickj, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Nickj

Nickj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Garmin handheld Csx 60 and it's good GPS , I use Basecamp on my Mac and plot trips using Shonky full topo. I heard that shonky is now 15+ years old and although I've had a heap of successful rides mapping with shonky I was wondering if their is any other mapping software that riders are using which is more up to date but still as detailed ?

Cheers

Nick
  2. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    you could have a look at the garmin topo maps version 3. here in qld it is a bit more detailed than shonky maps, but maybe not enough to justify $300? i've posted a pic of the map for glasshouse mountains north of brisbane here, if you want to compare it to shonky maps.

i got it because i can autoroute my trips in mapsource, something version 2 didn't do (or shonky maps either).

3. Nickj

Nickj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks , I'll check it out !
  4. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    I use the Magellan mapping system, their DiscoverAus Topo maps are very clear and detailed, show topography, creeks, dams, etc. and, most importantly, minor roads and tracks, many of which do not appear on Google maps. I have ridden with a lot of mates with lots of different GPS systems and none I have seen are as clear or detailed as the Magellan ones.

You can also view, waypoint and route on your computer then easily transfer everything direct to the GPS and vise versa. The track feature can be brought up onto your computer and records your position, direction headed, altitude and speed which lets you "play" your track back, which in the 3d mode can be interesting.
  5. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both Shonky and Tracks4Australia use a Geoscience Australia roadset that is more basic than the roadsets used in Topo Australia or OZtopo

However, Shonky and T4A are free