MOTOZ and the ADV

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by FakeName, Mar 26, 2013.

1. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    In another thread, questions arose regarding the proper fitment of the Motoz 140/80-18 on the back of an ADV- a 4.25" rim. Many people, myself included, run the 908RR - also a 140- which is out of specification for the wide rim.

So I asked Motoz:

And they replied:

2. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    fuck....not what i was hoping to hear. :baldy
  3. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Sorted, forget land speed records, if you wonna go faster than that buy a big roadie!! .... why did you buy the knobbies in the first place .... not to race against Rossi right.

Just ride them with there email in mind, a bit of American disclaimer law looks like it was coming in the reply.
  4. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps FakeName (since he is on a first name basis with them :rofl) could continue the conversation with them and ask if they would consider making one that WOULD fit! :clap
  5. FakeName

Oddometer:
    I did ask, and put my name in for a couple.
  6. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Huh?
  7. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    What I am saying is how fast do you wonna go on the road on a very knobbly tire? and what is the likelihood of keeping up 130km/hr on dirt all day to wreck a tire?

I don't see much to worrying about.
  8. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    80 MPH,, not impossible for some,, for me darn unlikely :rofl

Dave
  9. Zombie025

Zombie025 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The wider rim of the ADV is for stability on high speeds. As the 130 is already considered as too high why anyhow bothering with the wide rim and not going to the SE-rim?

I for myself wouldn't want to ride a tyre whereby at overtaking i have to have a look at the speedo for not exceeding the max speed rating of the tyre.
  10. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    On the road... not that fast. On the fire roads connecting trails... well over 80mph as often as I can! :evil
  11. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    Thanks for starting this thread. I had the same thought- in addition to gettiing more discussion about KTM using the 140 908rr on the 2013baja.

I'll be pushing Motoz to develop a 150/70-18. I think worldwide there would be enough volume to support development. If they can keep the price point under $150, they ought to kill it since tkc80's & 908rr are significantly more expensive. The unique tread design of these HT work very well off road and are surprisingly stable on road-that is on the smaller bikes (690 and under). They need some compound adjustment and rienforcement for the larger displacement bikes like 950/990. I've sold some 140/80-18 to SE owners and they commented that the tread blocks cracked at the base where the blocks meet the base of the tire. This wasn't a failure , but a noticeable weakness. Considering how agressive my SE owners ride on/off road, I think the weight and torque of the 950/990 is reaching the limits of the current HT 140.

If you have had positive experience with this tire and want further development of a true fittment for the adv (150/70-18) email motoz and ask for it.
    www.motoz.com.au/
  12. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new Adventure R has an even wider 4.5 inch rim. That's beyond stretching it (pun intended) for a 908 or anything else currently available in a real knobby (not counting TKC's, etc.) Maybe that will get one of the tire manufacturers in gear to produce us a true knobby tire that will fit the older Adventure better.
  13. mikeegee

mikeegee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've noted this in a couple other threads concerning tires, but I ran this tire on the rear last summer from Omaha to CJDesigns tech/rider weekend. It bordered on 100+ degrees the whole way there and back. Going out was hotter and mostly non-highway, coming back was ~500 miles pure highway. Bike was loaded and speeds were ~80mph (more for passing).

The tire never even hiccuped. There are cracks at the base of the blocks as others have noted.

This is on a stock rear rim.

Only downside is the immense road noise, but if you're not on pavement, it's not an issue.

I'd be in for one that fits properly, at least until I get a thinner rim.
  14. Motoz Tires

Motoz Tires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The new Motoz Tractionator Adventure tires are here! 90/90-21 and 150/70-18 with more sizes coming this spring.

Attached Files:

15. FakeName

Oddometer:

Very happy to see this, and welcome to ADVrider!
  16. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    welcome aboard! Good to see a 150 knobbie tire. It seems fresh out of the oven because I can't find anyone selling it and its not even on your own website. I assume you represent motoz!

Edit: I found some sellers online.
  17. Motoz Tires

Motoz Tires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    spareparts racing likes this.
  18. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    So when is the 140/80 - 18 going to be available, early spring as in March, or late spring as in June? 950SE owners like me will want to know
    Boatman likes this.
  19. Bearded Hooligan

Bearded Hooligan Moto Addict

Oddometer:
    +1
  20. Motoz Tires

Motoz Tires Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The mould is being done right now for the 140/80-18, so unfortunately we are looking at an ETA of June.