Annual South Carolina Spring Camping Trip

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by kalonji, Nov 25, 2010.

1. fox102

fox102 BORIKEN

Oddometer:
    Don't ya need wheels for that?
  2. kalonji

kalonji nihilism or nothing

Oddometer:
    I've got a couple
  3. kalonji

Oddometer:
    Y'all should start planning if it's gonna happen this spring.
  4. caycek5

caycek5 Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer:
    So where are we going? :ear
  5. fox102

fox102 BORIKEN

Oddometer:
    How about Oconee State Park. I used to camp out with my family a lot there when I grew up in Irmo! It's close to the mountains, Chattooga River, lots to do. Even visit Stump House Tunnel where Clemson University would make blue cheese! Just an idea!
  6. Graywarrant

Graywarrant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is also Cherry Hill Campground just north of Oconee State Park on SC107. Small, I think it has 15 campsites, a stream and one shower/latrine facility.

caycek5 - good to meet you today, hopefully we can do some riding together in the future. Good luck with the toyo.
  7. New2Moto

New2Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am new to riding and live in Hilton Head but have been camping/backpacking for a about 10 years now. Let me know if something is happening this spring!! :freaky
  8. kalonji

Oddometer:
    Looks like this may happen this spring after all. I see no one is gonna get off their arse to do this except me. This is contingent upon my purchase of a bike Saturday morning. Otherwise, if I go I'm either caging it or bumming a hack :D

I will get the dates for y'all soon.

Graywarrant, Cherry Hill sounds pretty nice. I'm down for whatever. To those that will be attending speak up on where ya wanna go. Tell your friends and let's keep this tradition going guys. I'd like to see some upstaters there. Land....this means you. I expect you to use that sweet radio voice/face of yours to talk some advÂ’ers into coming. New 2 Moto welcome and I hope to see ya there. :clap and :freaky lets get the ball rolling it's already march!
  9. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    My vote is for Eastern or Central SC :D Francis Marion National forest north of Charleston, Hunting Island State park East of Beaufort (good fishing I hear)

Congaree national park South East of Columbia looks pretty cool!

That would probably be the max range for me would be South of Interstate 20

I have never been to any of these places but near the coast sounds the coolest for me, I have never done much camping in coastal regions.

How many people usually join on this camping trip? Is it usually an over night or a whole weekend thing? I hope this happens soon (even though I don't have any proper storage bags for camping gear) !

To the people who plan to join: Where are you coming from?

:freaky
  10. fox102

fox102 BORIKEN

Oddometer:
    Cherry Hill is my vote. Camping for me equates trees and mountains! It ucrowd.
  11. fox102

fox102 BORIKEN

Oddometer:
    It's usually a big crowd. Some just come for an over night. Most are there for the weekend. All in all. A good group, good fun, always some wrenching, and good stories!
  12. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    I agree in some respects, but for South Carolina camping I think Central or Coastal best represents what SC has to offer in terms of camping. Cherry Hill is pretty much NC/GA camping.

If many of you are coming from the Greenville area then maybe Sumter Nat Forest would be equally convenient but more central for others!

My vote is still for Francis Marion or Edisto Island or Hunting Island. I agree that mountains and woods feel more 'camp'y' but there is something about coastal camping that is real cool and should be experienced at least once!

Also I would have to join Saturday afternoon as I vend at the Port Royal farmers market every Saturday morning which consists of a healthy chunk of my weekly sales. So Cherry hill, which is 5 hours from me, would be a little to far out for me :freaky

Let me know what others are leaning towards! :D
  13. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may be able to make it or at least ride out for a day and hang out,depending on locale.It's to far out for me to make solid plans.
  14. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    What dates are being suggested? any yet?
  15. kalonji

Oddometer:
    Likely dates
    April 11-13
    April18-20
    May 9-11
    May 16-18

Chime in....
  16. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    Fine with me, as I said I will have to join up Saturday afternoon/evening depending on how far away it is.

I think April will be more comfortable than May depending on the heat waves and when they arrive. Also depending on where we are going.

Any date, coastal or southern central areas are my votes...since I have never been camping in SC I hesitate to recommend just one camping area but rather the region I would be most likely able to attend :freaky
  17. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gonna try once again to make this. The April dates won't work for me but the May dates might.

Jack
  18. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    In!

No preferences...but Ducati Island at the Moto GP 4/11-4/13 may divert my attention out of state.
  19. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    I think I will try to join ya'll this year. I was lurking your event last year, but my wrist wasn't ready to go. Seems that most of the attendees were Mid/Lowlanders? I'd kinda like to visit Hunting Beach, dates not so important to retar'd folks. Spent a couple of nights last year at Cherry Hill. Puts you in a good area to do the mountains. The shower/toilet is one building with 4 separate shower/toilet rooms. Clean.
  20. Marsh Tiger

Marsh Tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in for a "maybe". Hopefully this year will work out for me. I know I can't do 4/11-13 though. My vote is defiantly for upstate SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk