Going for Broke: TAT 2011

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by simonpig, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Cornbread82

Cornbread82 Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer:
    Simonpig, I am blasting off on the 31st going to Moab and back hope to see you on the trail:freaky
  2. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Will be doing the TAT later this summer as well; looking to leave central VA around the end of August. Maybe we'll see you on the trail; will be riding with my dad, me on a yellow & black DRZ and him on a blue & white DRZ.
  3. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Been so busy with work and trip prep haven't had a chance to post and update. Going to Hancock, NY Quarry Run this weekend, so I'll get to test out some equipment and do a test run with the bags, etc. XC and Cornbread. Hope to see you on the trail. Best of luck with your trip.
  4. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    The days draw nearer. I spent the last couple of weeks getting work projects out of the way, so had to postpone the trip a week. While everyone goes to work this coming monday AM, I will leaving on my trip. With that, I've got to get the WRR trip prepped. Changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, bolt the stock exhaust back on since its got the heat shield. After switching back to stock pipe. Its remarkable how much quieter the bike is. I forgot after having the FMF for so long. The FMF isn't loud, its sounds really nice actually, just racier.

Also wanted to report that I'm happy to have gone with the 13/48. I was able to test last weekend at the Hancock Quarry Run in the tough hero sections and it allowed to crawl a little better, but more importantly to go down steep hills at comfortable speeds.:clap

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]
  5. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you close you guys need to stop by and hang out.

Only advice I can give. Less is More on the TAT!! Enjoy the ride!!!!!
  6. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    subScribed. good luck on your ride man!
  7. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Rushing to make last minute prep. Spent last night installing the new luggage. Wolfman stuff all fits like a glove. At the last minute decided, I need a new camera instead of relying on my iphone. Bought a rugged panasonic... This thread is called going for broke after all.

Heres the bike as of last night. Heading out this AM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    08/22/11
    Daily Mileage: 242

[​IMG]

After staying up really late getting prepped, I woke up at 11:00, got some lunch, packed up and hit the road at 1:30. Getting out Manhattan was annoying, and was traffic backed up on the interstate at the Jersey/PA border due to the Tollbooth bottleneck.

These first couple of days on the liaison leg of the trip lets me get into the groove with my equipment, placement, and order of operations.

The bike feels great since I kept it light. The stock exhaust is fantastically quiet. The wolfman luggage is awesome.

My trailtech endurance computer did shit itself for reason unknown to me. I'm going to need to order one and have it sent to my parents house which is along the route.

Just inhaled 2 packets of mountain house food, and turning in. Oh yes, decided to check out Tail of the Dragon, on the way over. Need to see what the hype is all about.

[​IMG]
  9. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Good to see you got started. We started the CDR today, did 234 miles, we are in Seeley Lake Mt now.
  10. rudyunknown

rudyunknown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rock on dude....need any help u got the number....
  11. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    more pix plz =)
  12. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you have the IMS 3.1 gallon tank. Are you carrying any extra fuel? Let us know how it works out on some of the longer stretches of the TAT. I'm wondering if I should get the Safari tank which holds a bit more fuel.
  13. ini88

ini88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You go brother! see you when you get back.
  14. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    I will. To this point, it hasn't bothered me in terms of stressing out about needing to get more fuel. I usually let it run into the 15-20 miles mark before fueling up and even then, I only put 2.6 gallons in the tank, so i'm thinking there is a 40-45 mile reserve, which is up from the 30-32 mile from stock? Can anyone elaborate?

15. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    8/23/2011
    Daily Mileage: 480 miles
    Overall average: 45.9 mph

[​IMG]

Didn’t have internet access yesterday, so this 1 day old news. Not too much to report. Got on the road at about 10:30 and interstated it most of the day. Made it from the bottom of PA to the northwestern portion of North Carolina. Had a quick gas station lunch and then hightailed it. The past trips, I usually took a generous lunch at a sitdown joint, so this is a bit different. Since it’s a liaison to the TAT, I should just try and get the beginning as soon as I can. What I’m really looking forward to is the mountains in Colorado and Utah.

Towards the end of the day, the road that takes me to the my place of roost was a fun twisty Highway 212 – maybe some of what I can expect on the tail of the dragon tomorrow? Finally made it to the Creek Ridge Campground in Hot Springs, NC. This has got to be one of the most ideal campsites, I’ve been to. Joshua Tree was pretty fantastic, but this is different. To get there, I had to take a steep trail down to a platform at which point, I hoofed it the last 250 feet down to the rivers edge. Typing this report as I speak in the dark of night. The sound of running water beside me. Just on the other side is a highway on higher ground, but not many cars come by. The whole experience is very Ewok village-like.

[​IMG]

Click the image below for the steep trip down. It was pretty loose stuff. It was the end of the day, so I took it realll easy going down. I'm embarrassed to show the full video. There was a portion where I was sliding and "grinding" down the trail my rear tire at 45 and my front pointed straight.

[​IMG]

Also, I busted my campfire-starting-cherry. I had a tough time of it. I thought I was doing something wrong, but after several hours, I could tell that the wood was moist since it was smoking and evaporating the water from the cut end as it burned down. It really didn't burn well at all, I had to blow on it every 5 minutes to keep an actual fire going.

If any of you hippies or manscouts out there could give me advice on doing it the right way, I would appreciate it. Off to bed now. Looking forward to a bath in the river tomorrow. (correction, bath was not had. Went a hot shower in the morning)
  16. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    8/24/2011 (Wed.)
    Daily Mileage: 257 miles
    Overall average: 34.7 mph

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I woke up early and took a stroll along the river photographing the other Ewok village huts. The place is pretty cool, and I could see myself going back. I would love to experience some of the hot spring mineral baths the town has to offer, but that is another trip.

After getting my fill of wading in the creek and showering up, I pack up and back up the steep hill I go. Its much easier going up than down. That is for sure, still I try and hang to the right. The thought of my bike going over the retaining wall would be tragic.

Click on the image to see the video:
    [​IMG]

Take off and I'm back on the interstate humming along at 70-72 with power to pass, and it doesn't complain even with the lower gearing and smooth to boot. Simply amazing.

[​IMG]

At around 1:45, I pull into Deals Gap Gas station, fuel up and park one spot away from a 1200GSA. Parking next to a pinstriped cruiser just didn't feel right. I order a burger, scarf it down, and go back out to the bike where I meet the dudes that riding the bike. Phil, Casey, and his dad Bill. All from Utah. Super cool dudes from Utah. We exchange numbers as there might be an opportunity for them to ride with them from Utah to Oregon, or maybe I stay a day in Moab and ride the trails there with them?

[​IMG]

I ride with them on the tail of the dragon. The Dragon was motherlovin awesome. I leaned those knobbies as far over as they would go and they held strong. There was some chatter when I was late braking into a turn and a couple of aggressive rear brake slides before the turn, but I got into such a rhythm of falling into turn. Feel like zoolander, but the form for dropping into a right hand turn feels so much more natural than a left. By the end of the day, I figured it out and it was nothing but zen.

Sux, though because I thought I captured it all on my Gopro. Turns out, I must've not pushed the buttons hard enough, but all I got was a still. Oh well, video doesn't really capture it. I'll just go get the killboy photo if it comes out awesome. Will post it here if I do.

After the tail of the dragon, I was headed straight up to Jellico, TN and thats where I am now, prepping for tomorrows maiden voyage.

[​IMG]

First thing I did was grease my chain.

[​IMG]

Second thing. jump in the pool. That was so nice.

Probably TMI, but did the wash in the tub and I'm good on clothes for the next 3 days. All my garments are quick drying moisture wicking stuff, so handwashing and drying is easy peesy.

[​IMG]

Observation: D606 won't die (on the WRR, at least) I must have 6500 miles on mine and they are on there way out, but those things are tough. The front knobs looking they will be shearing off soon, even though theres still alot of life on them. The rear has maybe a 1/4 left.
  17. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    Have a good ride today. I still remember being there in Jellico last year and getting ready to take off for the first day's ride. Even in the rain , it was a blast. I really enjoyed TN, some people say it has too much pavement, but I think it was a lot of fun. Hot Springs is a cool town. Their motto is: Where Mayberry meets the Twilight Zone!

Not sure about the timing, but you might see us later on in the week. We start out from the NM/OK border on 9/4.
  18. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    I don't mind that that over half the trail is paved in TN. Most everyone I've met from there are good people. That state is always sending me good vibes.

19. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    really enjoying this
    be safe
    thanks for taking us along with you
  20. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just wishing you good luck on your ride------I'm really impressed with how well you have your bike set up for the ride.

Unlike with bigger bikes--nothing will stop you on the TAT------well maybe the impassible when wet roads--nothing goes on that stuff.

And you've did the best mod I've found to do to a WR250R---------a steering damper. My absolute favorite mod I've done to mine.

Mark
    BigDog