Lock up your grandmothers

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by McCardigan, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
    Alex must of left the "my other bike is a mountain bike and i wear a suit and will knock on your door " sticker on the back.
  2. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    Nah, I reckon its the rainbow coloured sticker just below the rear number plate "Proud and Paid up memberof the Gay and Lesbian Ausitralian Police Forces" with their motto "A Hard Man is good to find"

Gets them everytime:lol3:lol3:lol3
  3. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    OK folks, less talk, more photo's and let them do the explanations.
    Enjoy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats about half way through the Molesworth, still to come are "Loo's with a view".The Molesworth from Blenhem to Hanmer Springs is about 220k's, with about 30k's on sealed roads.

2 things to remeber. It is only opened from Boxing Bay till mid/late January.

There are 2 locked gates,one at Molesworth campsite, and one at the Acheron camp site, which are locked between 7.00pm till 7.00am. No camping allowed between those 2 spots.I encountered 2 park rangers in seperate vehicles, after 5.00pm heading north to check these rules out.
    If you are travelling especially in the afteroon, and encounter a breakdown, flat tyre etc, be prepared to camp at either campsite, because you wont get through.

When you get a day like I had last Tuesday,consider yourself privledged.
    It is a magic momment, one you won't forget.

More photo's to follow
  4. Dave Ward

Dave Ward I don't even know where the box is.

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you're still having a terrible time over there Chris.

Did you have to include this pic mate, we generally keep it quiet that we might have rels in NZ... :wink:
    [​IMG]
  5. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    Wow, I must get over the Bombays some time.... $80 for 115.....thats sounds like he gave you a discounted rate.
    No wonder my Welly mate raves on about the Molesworth....Oh well off for my daily 40km BMW commute...:cry
  6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    He said 113km/h that's $80 bucks, and it's a deal. I paid that 10 years ago, for the same thing. You could argue that there should be a tourist tax.

You racer guys miss out on a lot of things. Going around a sweeping gravel corner at silly speeds is not to be sneezed at. I am still trying to work out how to do that. Any minute now....
  7. GSDane

GSDane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    :nono No... you just leave that choc where it is :lol3 (but I reckon it will be long gone down the corners of the tankbag by February... something about a warm summer :knary )

Re the bike... sounds good :clap (if he is gonna lend it to me :lol3)

Cheers, Dorthe.
  8. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Love your lifestyle, Chris. :clap
  9. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    We could swap for a weekend....you take the R90 to a track day at HD ( trailer included) and I can take Basic Basil on a trip up 90 mile beach and back.
  10. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    G/day Nev

You helped fund it:lol3:lol3:lol3
  11. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    G/day all

Back in the office at the Havelock home for pissed and broke old farts motorcyclists. Now there is a mouthful.

As they say in the Classics, timing is every thing.

Rode down the Molesworth Wednesday afternoon in stunningly good weather, the storms hit that area in the evening, huge winds and lots of rain. Waited in Akaroa for the storms to move north, then returned to Hanmer Springs yesterday afternoon, after they had been through there.

Left this morning and am now sitting on the balcony of the Havelock pub, washing the dust down in a lovely evening sun. The caretaker at the head of the Rainbow where you donate $15 for the privledge of riding your m/c, said it had utterly precipitated yesterday. All the creek crossings were up and running, some quite fast. I walked through the last 2, then walked the bike over, glad I did as I was on my own, and one in particular,(not the last/first crossing) but one back about 4 k's was very fast, and had a hidden hole in the middle, which I walked into, with water just under my crotch!

I promise, (yes dear!) to put some very good photo's after I finish the Molesworth. Should not be a problem now that I'm back on line and I have a lazy day tomorrow, waiting to meet Clint at Picton at Picton, then to tackle the Clarence River vally track which is only opened a few time a year.

Talking of opening ime, the Rainbow now opens on Boxing Day, instead of the 1st of Dec, same as the Molesworth, and nominally closes 30th April
  12. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    Gezze Dave, you have great eye sight for an oldie, you surprise me, a man of many hidden talents I beleive?:D
  13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    If you want to come up for a gravel ride, that can be arranged. I still have the 1150 to join you. I think beach riding will be off the menu for Basil, it's just not a good environment for the bike.

As far as the race track goes, I would much prefer to take my 1150 on it. I don't own a leather jacket and can't be bothered buying one, just for one track day.
  14. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:

hmmmm..... sounds like a plan.....I think the rest of my summer is going to be taken up by house stuff...:cry but I'll keep it in mind, I have a two piece leather suit for a svelte 97 ks ( on a good day) 5'11.:evil
  15. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    That would fit :D. You are welcome to have a go, just let me know when you have some time, there is no gravel season, so anytime is good.
  16. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Plenty of orchards in the South.
  17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Yes, but Apples are hard to get into OZ.
  18. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    They opened up the market last year, officially.

I got my apple via Oz.
  19. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Had a great overnighter in the Clarence with Chris, his laptop had blown a foo foo valve so he's in chch now sorting that out.

Cheers
    Clint

fumblethumbed off a tiny screen
  20. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    Back up and running, thanks to some great service from Dave at pcanytime 03 3666588 380A St Asaph St CC.

He has restored my pc, he described it for a simpleton like me as if some one had opened my hard drive and scattered all my files around. So he managed to save most things, including the photo's:clap, had he not, I could still put up photos as I never delete my photo sim cards, I just buy a new card.

As Clint said, we had a great weekend going into the Clarence river track.
    What can I say, prior this I rated the Skippers track as the best I have ridden, and the Old Man track the hardest, but the Clarence is in a league of its own and we were previledged to have ridden it, as it is only opened
    5 consective weekends, last weekend was the 1st, only 4x4's and bikes allowed, and only 26 people did the track.

I'm off for dinner in Akaroa now, when I return I'll try and rejoin Smugmug and hopefully upload some photo's to show what we did for the weekend.