Zumo 550 map update

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by shepp, Jun 13, 2013.

1. shepp

shepp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After many many hours and many emails to Garmin l have at last managed to update my maps on my Zumo 550. It seems that the internal memory of the Zumo is not big enough to hold the lifetime Europe mapping, so it has to be loaded onto an sd card. I cannot tell you how much hassle this has been, but then out of the blue l received an email from a guy at Garmin giving me dirctions on how to do this. Why on earth l was'nt given this info from Garmin months ago l'll never understand.

Just hope that this is of use to anyone else trying to update their 550!
  2. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    And how was the TT?

zumoforums.com is a good source for these kind of questions. I have been putting the maps on a SD card for a few years now.
  3. FlyRide

FlyRide FlyRide

Oddometer:
    Hello.

I was just wondering if you could share those instructions that got from Garmin.

I am currently struggling with updating my Zumo 550, and the sloooooow response from Garmin support doesn't to reduce my stress. Leaving to the BMW Motorrad Days in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in a couple days and I'd really like to have the GPS more usable than just as an expensive paper stone.

Thanks!
    Christophe
  4. KaytM

KaytM Just a fella.

Oddometer:
    How big of an SD card do you need for the full Euro maps and how do you tell it to store onto the SD card please?

**Edit** got a 660!! :D
  5. FlyRide

FlyRide FlyRide

Oddometer:
    Since you have a 660, my answer is only for the 550 that I have.
    I used a 4GB card and it's 4/5 used for all Europe, full details.

About doing the update, nor Garmin Express, MapUpdate, WebUpdate, BaseCamp, and whatever else Garmin's support advised me to do didn't work. And the end since I had a trip scheduled I went to a Garmin front desk to ask for direct support. They actually did it for me in 24 hours.

Keep us posted on your endeavour!