R1200gs Tool Kit

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by isa671, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Thunder Pig

Thunder Pig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why is that? I've changed tubeless tires on other bikes and still needed to break the beads loose. Are the GS rims different that they just come off without? I'm making a tool kit myself and want to be able to change a tire wherever I might be and if I don't need something to pop off beads that would be one less thing to carry. Thanks.
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    If you are changing your own tires on the side of road yes of course you need the equipment. My point is you don't need that equipment to simply fix a flat, as you do that on the bike with the wheel still attached.
    Pretty difficult to unseat a bead on a tubeless and remove it at the side of the road, also quite difficult to re-install tire and seat the bead. I expect you will be carrying tires to change?, or having them shipped ahead? I'd change them at a facility with a tire machine.
  3. Thunder Pig

Thunder Pig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True, if you get a tubeless flat you would plug it and if you needed to change it do at a shop. One less thing to carry.
  4. L21

L21 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plugs don't always work. Tire irons and a 19 inch tube. Tube works in front and rear tire, just remove the valve stem and your good to go.
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA

Have you successfully seated the bead with this procedure?
  6. L21

L21 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes just over inflate tube
  7. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I agree 100% if you only ride pavement or graded dirt roads. I have plugs in my standard kit, but I also carry a set of bead breakers and tube when I go on extended or more serious off road trips should the rim get bent and not be able to hold a seal. If you're always within cell phone service, yeah I can see no need for the extra weight, but if you travel to remote places, the extra 3lbs is no big deal. I changed my tires with the bead breakers so I'd know how to do it in the field. I don't plan on changing the tires out again like that, but I now know how to throw a tube in them should I need to.
  8. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    Made this thing for the front wheel axle (Hex14mm - Hex22mm):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Flyboygus

Flyboygus n00b

Oddometer:
    Just thought many of you might appreciate this, a water proof connector that is reusable. :eek1

Especially when you are in the boonies without a soldering iron :-)

http://www.posi-lock.com/positite.html

You just don't want to leave home without one IMHO.
  10. pauljm

pauljm R1200GS LC Rallye

Oddometer:
  11. Andrew011

Andrew011 Tourist

Oddometer:
    Another idea for front wheel removal tool: welded 22mm nut to 1/2->3/8 adapter.

Also made an extendable 1/2" lever.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N3oDq1fWDDA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still working on the ultra compact/lightweight/small toolkit for 1200GS..
  12. Friction275

Friction275 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the tool kit I run with on my 09 R1200 GS.

There's nothing in it that different from other kits. The only thing I do differently, as far as I can tell, is use some things in different ways from others.

-I use my socket extension as a screwdriver via an adapter for the hex bits so I don't have to carry separate full size screwdrivers. The tape on the extension works fine as a grip.
    -I use a slide bar fixed socket with a ratcheting adapter so I can use it as a breaker bar or a ratchet. When I use it as a breaker bar I can loop one of the wrenches through it to gain extra leverage.
    -I got a silver bag instead of a black one so I could write the torque specs down on the inside of the bag. Not really applicable on the side of the road but handy to have when I'm in the garage or at a shop somewhere.
    -I ground down the edges of a 5/8" deep socket to use as a plug wrench. This may have been the long way to go but I had a spare 5/8" socket and none of my plug drivers were small enough to fit in the hole.

I carry a separate tire repair and medical kit so this is just the tools.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ol Shenanigan likes this.