TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. KTMbageera

KTMbageera Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My company car is an 09' 990R
    stock headers and Leo Vincents cans
    all smog stuff removed
    PowerCommander4
    just bought a Rottweiler filter system to install

No tuners/dynos in range. Decent mechanical skills.

When I remove the OEM filter system and install the Rottweiler,

What map do you suggest for me, considering my venue and lack of experience tweaking maps and values?

My priorities are 1. Reliability. 2. Fuel economy. 3. Decent in-flight movies :^)

Friends recently asked me what I would ride if I could buy ANY motorcycle made. I smiled, waited a minute to show them I was listening and replied, "I am already riding him."
  2. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Is there a power commander thread out there. this thread discusses tune ecu maps for the most part. With the right settings the Rott system will put you on the rev limiter quick.
    You will need ear plugs.

Sent using Telepathy
  3. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Talk to cpr about Autotune for the power commander. In theory you wont need a tune or a tuner...it will do it for you.

4. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
  5. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    Help please!!! I had a computer die on me. I was running Vista and all was good.. New computer, and Windows 8.. Needless to say "8" has been a bit of a pain...

Downloaded Tunes onto my new computer, but I think I am having driver issues. I can not get it to connect. I thought I loaded every driver listed hoping I could get it to work, but nothing. I can see the small bar on the right corner, but it will not turn green.

I am far from being a computer guy.... and if anyone can help me with this... beer is on me.

Thanks Smitty :1drink
  6. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine was reluctant too. Things I did to get it to work

Try different usb port
    Use the connect button and don't rely on auto connect
    Switch ignition on and off--giving Tune ECU time to connect and give you the green.

Good luck
  7. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    Kill switch got me last time. Got all hot and bothered about the new computer but as usual the problem was the loose nut behind the keyboard....

Sa
  8. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    I forget what page it is on but some speed setting on my win8 made mine work. I posted it as a tip to remember some where back in April or May.
  9. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    This might be the post Mike is referring to.
  10. smitty141

Oddometer:
    Well, so far no luck getting connected.. Is there a easy way to remove all the drivers I have tried to use... And maybe start over... What a pain in the a$$ Windows 8 is.... Plus,I would be better at brain surgery, than computer stuff. If brain surgery went bad, I could just put the body's in the crawl space with the others....:wink:

Anyone in the St. Louis area a IT guru.....

Smitty
  11. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    I'm in the St Louis area but it is mostly by accident that I get soft ware to work. After re thinking, I am not on win 8 but rather 7. The additional easy to use version is probably your issue. Just keep asset it, it will go.

Sent using Telepathy
  12. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    If you have a copy of windows xp or windows 7. There is nothing stoping you from installing the free virtualbox software and run windows xp or 7 virtually under windows 8.

Completely free, gets the job done.
    https://www.virtualbox.org/
  13. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Smitty, I run Win7 under virtualbox on a Mac and it worked fine for me without any driver installation. You just have to identify the OBDII USB under virtualbox and then use that usb under TuneECU. Should work the same way running virtualbox under Win systems.
  14. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    The operating system, win 8, resides on one partition and all your changes or goofs on the other. Restoring does not remove your operating system like it did on earlier windows.

On my machine you press a button on the side of the computer and it starts the procedure to erase and reinstall, Bestbuy Lenova. The computer is returned to new. Good thing is it's just like you bought it...bad thing is all you have installed or saved is lost.

If your only problem is with TuneECU uninstall that program and then study a bit and reinstall being very careful. I know easy to say. I have spent many many hours studying and working on my win 8 lap top.

The only way I have figured things out is to have my Mac going and watch utube on how to do things in win 8. I then work on the win 8 stuff while pausing the Mac video and back. Pain but it works.
  15. smitty141

Oddometer:
    I am only having trouble connecting to TuneEcu. I don't want to return all my setting to new.. I am going to un-install everything and start over. I do think it is all in the drivers.

On my old computer when I downloaded the drivers then unhooked from my internet connection. Plugged my cable to keep window from auto loading the drivers it thinks I need.

Well, I forgot that part this time and just plugged my cable in. There is a un-install link on the TuneEcu site and will try that..

Thanks guys for your help...

Smitty
  16. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:

:thumb

I'm done fuggin up my primary OS.
  17. smitty141

Oddometer:
    Well boys...I may apply for a IT job in my next life:lol3. After deleting the drivers and other crap i tried... I went step by step off the Tune site. After doing every step.. guess what.. It still did not work... On the edge of snapping my new laptop in half...I stepped back and took a breath.

I was just clicking on the top tabs of the Tune Ecu screen and came to the option tab.... Two choices.... Serial or USB...

Serial was checked. After highlighting USB and a quick click the USB was locked in.

A quick click to the connect tab, and I am Tuning...

Was this the problem from the start??? Maybe, or maybe not. I did not see this option anywhere in the instruction or setup, but I may have just missed it. As of now, I really do not need it the program. But I just like to have stuff ready just in case. Now for that new HIGH paying IT job..:wink:

Thanks for all the help,
    Smitty
  18. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good job man... yep i think you may found it on your own, i haven't come across that one yet...:clap
    I have a $200 XP laptop dedicated for tunning, that just plain works so i don't mess with it.

One thing i would suggest for 1st hookups is get the map of your bike put it in a folder of its own and never put or save any other maps in it!

Get very familiar with the software learn how to compare maps and all the functions there before loading maps.

no IT guy here, just gotta know how shit works, personality disorder i guess....:D
  19. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    having downloaded tune ecu I get Triumph WTF?
    HELP :evil
  20. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    Pull up katoom map, which will switch graphics.

BAAM

Sent using Telepathy