Nascar 2013

Discussion in 'Sports' started by vettex2, Feb 16, 2013.

1. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    That makes sense
  2. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never mind that the vast majority of those come to Nascar only after they have already flamed out in F1. Very few have tried to switch when they were at their peak, why would they?

Some can actually drive when it's damp out. Some can't.
  3. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    This...is why Junior Johnson got done, felt his hands were tied. Smokey Yunick was the reason behind most of the rule book, he out-figured them often. Never happen again; Petty dominating like he did finished that forever. The challenge is even more heightened now and guys like Knaus figure it out. He has added a few new rules to the book himself. It is different yes, but it is harder and you have to be super intelligent to get away with anything now. Since all parts have to be approved.
  4. sloMark

sloMark Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about the WRC guys? I seem to think they are pretty darn good drivers. Maybe THE best ? No American has run with them that I know of.m Ken Block is trying his best, but not close.

I would love to see one of those WRC events in person (Sardinia). The speeds they run are just crazy, with trees that do not move like RIGHT THERE!
  5. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    They truly are some of the best. Amazing car control, and it is each car and driver on their own against the clock. No drafting, no bumping. Unfortunately that also makes it hard to package for spectators and for TV so it's under exposed.

Nascar/Indy/F1 have all become dull. You can barely tell the cars apart, and probably couldn't if they weren't different colors. Bring back real innovation Where are the fan cars, the diesels, the turbine cars, the 4 wheel drive cars, the cars with 4 front wheels and the cars with 4 back wheels? The only model car I have in my office is a Tyrell P34, from a time where the rules allowed at least some differentiation.
  6. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Travis Pastrana, and if his performance Saturday is going to continue, he is going to be a good stock car driver too. Different kind of racing though in WRC. Against the clock, Rally, not head to head competition like F1 and NASCAR.
  7. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    Mario is the only F1 champ I can think of that raced NASCAR.
    name another ?
  8. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Villeneuve.

He tried a few different series in NASCAR starting in 2007, a mere 10 years after his last F1 win.
  9. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    forgot about him being a champ......did he do cup ?:ear
    he sure hasn't been successful......
  10. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    He ran in a couple of Cup races in 2007 and one in 2010. He's done Nationwide, V8 Supercars, Truck Series, Canadian Tire Series and Le Mans since leaving F1. Over 40 starts across all the different series with 1 win. As you said, he hasn't been successful.
  11. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:
    You seem to be forgetting his well executed Danica punt at Road America last year. I doubt he will have to buy his own drink in a bar for the rest of his life.
  12. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Which part-time driver left NASCAR, went to F1 and won the driver's title?

And if you say Kimi I'm going to spank you for blatant misrepresentation of... well, everything, actually. :D
  13. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Montoya was still racing pretty well, although he'd about used up his good standing in F1. But he went to a mediocre NASCAR team.

No top F1 driver has tried to race NASCAR with a good team while at his peak. Villeneuve was over and done with. Kimi dabbled in trucks for two races to get a feel for it before going back to rally cars. Scott Speed? Please. Piquet Jr., the man who deliberately wrecked so his teammate could win?

The problem with switching series is how long it takes the driver to adapt. Michael Andretti went from Indy cars (when Indy was still big) to F1 and couldn't handle the car. I'm sure 5-time would eventually get the hang of an F1 car but it would take him at least a season, maybe two. Jeff Gordon's a guy who could have made the jump a few years ago.

Similarly, put Alonso, Vettel or Hamilton in a Hendrick car and they'd eventually figure it out.

It seems pretty self-evident, if one can set aside one's bigotry and prejudice.
  14. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mario Andretti?
  15. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    That still pisses me off. What a jerk.
  16. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mansell on the other hand went the opposite way and did make it work.
  17. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    The reason I don't count him is because the term part-time implies the driver couldn't get a full-time gig in NASCAR. Andretti was racing USAC, Indy and F1 during that time period. Obviously an awesome all around driver.
  18. DirtFarmer

Oddometer:
    Now, now. He had dirt on his tires. :lol3:lol3
  19. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    open wheel to open wheel
    an easier transition
  20. DirtFarmer

Oddometer:
    There are many open wheel guys in the Cup garage.
    Stewart
    Kahne
    Newman
    Gordon
    Blaney
    Patrick
    Speed
    Yeley
    Montoya

If you added modified (open wheel in my eyes) you could add some more.

The list is from the current line-up at Daytona, I'm sure I'm missing some.