Ossa Reliability

Discussion in 'Trials' started by triplenickel, Feb 20, 2013.

1. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what does the collective think about the new bikes, specifically the Explorer now that they've ben out for a bit. Is the DFI 280 as good as it seems it could be?
  2. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would also be interested to hear from Ossa owners.I have a 2011 coming next week to get me back into trials after 30 years away.
  3. straight_8

straight_8 SM rims for KTM wanted

Oddometer:
    Wingman, seen your video up on YouTube. I'm getting an ossa shipped to Labrador from Mr Billiard..let me know how you like your ride.
  4. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    Several guys in our trials club have the new DFI 280. They think its killer. They really like the way the FI hits off idle. I think the discussion was around how much smoother the power was hitting an obstacle from a stop in second gear.. Far superior to a carburetor bike. Also, mentioned no starting issues around the FI hot or cold.

One guy was saying he has done nothing but change the oil and cleand the air filter since he got his new Ossa. Zero issues.

Sounds Lewis Sports is pushing the Ossa pretty hard. They do a MAP upgrade and springs. Guys are raving about the end result.
  5. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

When they are running the new Ossa's are very good, but according to a long term owner, you are likely to need to form a good relationship with your Ossa parts dealer. I guess to some extent though (unless you have a Honda) thats likely to be true of any current bike, which gets used hard?
  6. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Well,

Far from me to mention that Ossa's engine and transmission was all designed Engineered & developed by the same damn guy or corporation that designed the GASGAS engine, and probably MFG'd by same engine company... I mean I do NOT believe Ossa nor gasgas has it's own forge or any of that stuff, they could assemble the engines themselves though, I guess.

So since Ossa probably sold what, 20 bikes stateside, since 2011? where as I know that gasgas alone imported over 30, of just the Raga models last year, in one container.

So lets just watch and see how damn much more "reliable" they are, since YOU seem to think "gasgas" is so fragile? I have 3 buddies I can give a rubber mallet and an anvil, they can still f@ck them things up.
    what the hell? Jesus H Chrysler, if you ride a bike, instead of talking about all you know about them, then you will become a friend of SOME parts dealer, trust me. I dont care if it is a BMW or a gasgas, Shit happens, & you need spare parts!

damn! I swear, You seem to think Bou and his 15 minders aren't carrying "any" freaking spare parts for the trials? Get over your trolling self, man.
  7. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    In common with Gas Gas the Ossa is a bike which seems to have a lot of inbuilt problems for weekend riders, and may not be the ideal choice for anyone looking for good reliability?
  8. thegraydog

thegraydog 2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer:
    I rode at Cedar City this weekend. There were five Ossas, all of them placed.
    Four were parked under a canopy, and a dust devil came by and threw the canopy ten feet in the air.

One of the Ossas fell over!
  9. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Oh, and it didnt break the transmission or anything? LOL.

I mean according to Troll-Shocker, the bikes are apparently made of not even tempered glass, not worthy for "average weekend riders" even though dad rides his several times a week, and sometimes 3 times on Sunday? What a troll.

Just for the record, I've watched people manage to break stuff, that I have never broken in my life, so is it Luck or Design that is at fault?

Seriously? Seems to me, you are always on the wrong side of reality... plus the fact that since you're not as picky about suitability of a bike is for trials (fix a reflux? really?) Actually the Ossa it seems, was loved by those that buy them.

So, you thing Jotagas is without any troubles or issues? Would it be an opinion ONLY based because you like a certain person involved with the bike, that you wouldn't believe it if we did hear things?

But no, Now Ossa isn't what you pick? Figures. As if the Montessa/honda /yamaha /sherco /Beta /SWM/ et al., nor any other production trials bike has had any problems, not even teething problems at a minimum, or worse, or anything ever be wrong with them? I recall watching people who own the montessa 315's and had to keep spare complete rear wheels, to finish a day's trials, because of weak-spots on the rear hub, and they have had other silly issues too.

I know damn well, everyone I know (except the newby-est of newbies to trials & the bikes) carry spare parts, that have been known to or have heard might "let you down" in an event. I carry more parts when I travel 10+ hours than I do when I travel the usual 2 hours, for the monthly event. I know everyone else (no matter what brand) does as well. If you don't tough tits then, because you probably should be betting on horses somewhere with your luck, or you want an excuse to "watch everyone else have fun" and like to blame not riding on your bike.

We still haven't seen the picture of your bike(s) nor what class you ride, nor what club. I'd bet, it wont happen very soon either.
  10. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would guess that modern trials bikes used in easier trials, are likely to be a lot more durable than when ridden in far harder and more serious competition? Ossa and Gas Gas do seem very fragile, and here in the UK supported riders most often get a new bike every 6 months, as this is less costly than the full rebuild that would otherwise be required.

For beginners to trialling having an old TY or TLR as a first bike, will mean they learn the basics far faster than someone on a more modern bike, and will also be spending far less money on a machine.
  11. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    :huh
    Having briefly ridden a TY, I have to assume you have never squeezed a modern hydraulic clutch. I can't see learning the critical skill of clutch control being any easier with a grabby 3 finger hand cramper, that makes too much noise and no power. The TY's etc available in the West at least are all major projects, not a savings. Gasser parts are readilly available, from one of several excellent dealers.

I would prefer to swap out my gasser every 6 months or a year, but can't afford it. Mine is sloppy but still running reliably with regular (if extensive) maintenance. It is an 07 that I have ridden the piss out of. The only major failure that I have had was a bent shift shaft, and I rode the second day of Ute Cup carefully hand shifting, and doing the transport in 3rd.

As to the Ossa, the 2011 I rode briefly was not very well tuned yet, but was nicely snappy, just overfueled. Found it kinda excessively steep in the front, and inclined to tuck on steep descents. I can't remember if the tubes were all the way down in the triple clamps.
  12. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very very easy to get clutch on older bikes working pretty well, and the same thing goes for brakes. Here in the UK many riding modern bikes are going twin-shock now, as sections are becoming harder and harder, and trials much less fun for lower level riders. Generally those who have gone twin-shock give up riding their modern bikes entirely pretty quickly. In the US the ITSA events are becoming very popular, and mean its possible to have fun without the need for a costly and unreliable modern bike.
  13. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    FFS, this is the final warning. :becca

Any personal attacks from now on and I'm giving out holidays. :baldy

Use the ignore feature if you need to but it stops here.
  15. straight_8

straight_8 SM rims for KTM wanted

Oddometer:
    So it sounds to me like I need to lay the bike on one side open the case, drain oil measure then fill and repeat with the other side...no drain plugs or fill port?:huh
  16. Sting32

Oddometer:
    PSSST, BREW? was he talking to you? :kumbaya (aka :vacation).
  17. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Geez, I hope not. I did not have a dog in this particular fight. :dunno
  18. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ended up buying an Explorer, way too early in the game to comment on reliability but it's a damn fun bike.
  19. thegraydog

thegraydog 2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer:
    Hey, hope we helped! :1drink
  20. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    I picked up a 2014 OSSA Explorer very recently. Only 4.5 hours on it so far but I'm quite enjoying the bike.
    I'm not going to be doing trials on it, just plan to use for the mountain trails any really tight stuff I like so much.

Starts very easily (easier than my old GasGas TXT Pro, but it was 10 years old also and not really Hard to start), runs perfectly and rides great.

I'm not sure if the oil change question was on the OSSA, but it certainly has drain and fill plugs (the Explorer hang he same power plant as the TR). Air filter maintenance a snap and I like that it is very high on the bike, and larger than the other Trials filters I've seen. The GasGas would flood with water in deep puddles and water crossings. I don't see that issue no the OSSA.

I'll post up how it turns out after getting more hours.

http://youtu.be/UX6MEUIleo4

http://youtu.be/IW-2Nr1xhp8