R80/7 + a newb = a long road to cafe

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by benthic, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Looks good. I am doubly impressed that just a short while ago you were a fiberglas noob. You've picked up that art very well. I see a "tool/storage" tray in the frontside of the seatpan-- I guess that it is accessible by lifting the seat cushion? Looks like the rear aerodynamic hump could be major storage-- any plans to be able to access that?

I like the method of using the tank as a form for the mold-- that promotes a certain sense of symmetry. At first glance, the rear aero hump looks too big, but we are accustomed to seeing smaller ones. I'd imagine that the hump looks in proportion with a rider attached. The built-in rear lights look sanitary.

Raining all day, still planning to replace that rear tire. (yeah, I know...) :D

--Bill

ps- hydraulics are a maintenance items. One reason I like cables. ;)

pps-ya gots ta have yer priorities.
  2. benthic

benthic glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer:
    Thanks boss, I'll let you know:)

yes, the tool storage is accessible by lifting the seat, which will be held on by the shape of the cowling and some velcro, and my ass;) No real plans to make the cowling into additional storage. right now there is a small compartment for wire connections on top of the rear fender, so not as much storage is available as you might think. I do plan on cutting a hole in the cowling to access the wires conveniently.

I struggled with the size of the cowling. Renner even came over and offered his $.02 before I formed everything up. It might not be exactly right, but i do like it better than the previous version already...
  3. Bill Harris

Oddometer:
    The more I look at it, the more I like the looks of it. We're on the cutting (bleeding??) edge, and aren't cookie-cutter'd.

--Bill
  4. benthic

Oddometer:
    definitely BLEEDING. fiberglass can be sharp!;)
  5. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow!!! Looking sharp, Spencer!:thumb Maybe I can commison you to build me a seat:ear
  6. Bill Harris

Oddometer:
    Ah ha. The birth of a new cottage industry.

Too bad "I had to destroy the mold to get my piece off", but your bondo'd and primer'd cowling is perfect to make a new mold from. PVA (polyvinyl alcohol) is used as a release agent, and you'll be in for more sanding, cleaning and re-priming of the cowl before final painting. It'll be more work at this point, but future cowlings will be easy to make. Easy as in ea$y money.

--Bill
  7. benthic

Oddometer:
    ha! i don't think anyone will be able to afford what i'd charge;) this stuff is hassle enough for just my own projects!

I've learned a lot. if i do this again, I will definitely do it "right". then there'd be a chance for multiple copies... But i hope to not do it again for a long while.

meanwhile, somewhere in socal...
    MORE PROGRESS!

Turns out the sewing machine my wife and I had (it was a gift several years ago, niether of us ever used it) is a piece of crap. It was very cheap, and while might be ok for the odd hemming of some pants, was no good for anything I might want to do. SO. I put an APB out on Facebook and within 30 minutes I had a 1952 Singer sewing machine with steel gears. an old but robust machine a friend of mine makes an occasional vinyl seat on for the vintage Lambrettas he restores:)

getting ready - i found the manual for the machine online - the internet is amazing

[​IMG]

sewed pockets for what would turn into the ribs
    [​IMG]

sewing is done and ready for stretching/mounting
    [​IMG]

my wife took a few pics of me sewing:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

seat is stretched and stapled and on the bike
    [​IMG]

I painted the rear cowling today. Not a great job. I believe the orange is a temporary color, and I just didn't have the patience for sanding and painting.
    [​IMG]

Painted with the seat.
    [​IMG]

I didn't finish up tonight. I still have to finish mounting the lights in the cowling, and put the odds and ends back togther, but by golly i'm riding this bike to tomorrow's tech day at the Socal AirMarshall's house:)

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Spencer
  8. Bill Harris

Oddometer:
    Whew, that is a good job on the upholstery. You sew awfully well and you're not limp-wristed?

:D Just kidding. Sewing is a useful art. Years ago I used to backpack a lot, had frequent modifications and sewing needs, so I bought a good sewing machine and learned. Twenty years later I still use it. I look at a sewing machine as a Bridgeport for cloth...

Go for it.

I predict this reaction:
    :eek2

--Bill
  9. benthic

Oddometer:
    i'm good with my hands:) I had fun sewing the seat, I think i'm going to be in the market for a good machine:)

the tech day was great:) Everyone was extremely supportive of my efforts:) I'm lucky that we don't have any curmudgeonly purists in Socal, or at least, none showed up yesterday;)

some photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    wishin' I could'a been there...

those taillights look better :thumb

that license plate has got to go elsewhere
  11. benthic

Oddometer:
    you were missed buddy.

where would you put the license plate?
  12. Renner

Oddometer:
    good question, worthy of consideration.

Isn't yours originally a blue plate bike?
    A year-of-manufacture plate would certainly cut down on the glare.
  13. Bill Harris

Oddometer:
    Plate vertical on a bracket behind the right rear shock? Depends on what the DMV actually requires (or what you can get away with) for tag display. Check with the local chop shops?

The new tailpiece looks much more in proportion now that the upholstery installed, or mebbe we're getting more accustomed to it. Whatever, it looks good. How does it feel, riding position-wise and seat cushion-wise? That, IMO, is the true test.

--Bill
  14. benthic

Oddometer:
    It came to me with the white plate. I'd have to consult an expert (cough * you * cough) about how to go about getting a different plate...

Vertical plates are illegal in CA, IIRC. That doesn't mean that people don't do it, but with my tail light technically being non-compliant, i don't want to push my luck.

Thanks for the kind words on the upholstery:) I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. It feels GREAT! and the riding position is improved in my opinion. However, I've only put about 10 miles on this seat so this opinion is subject to change...
  15. Renner

Oddometer:
    +1
    perhaps tucked under the cowl somewhat, with the tag-illuminating lamp shining down from above/inside.
    looks like there may be a little room for wheel clearance with the tag tilted like you have it.
  16. Bill Harris

Oddometer:
    Ah, I figured there'd be constraints. Here we have Vehicular Anarchy-- still no vehicle safety inspections and it's only been in the last year that we've had to provide PROOF of insurance (besides a "yup, I've got it") when you buy a tag.

You'll figure something out. Maybe a Hologram of the tag??? ;)

--Bill
  17. benthic

Oddometer:
    not much new to report, just putting some miles on the bike and enjoying it:) The seat is performing well! it's definitely not a tourer, but I will have no problem putting the miles I want to on it:)

[​IMG]

Last night I put a "real" helmet lock on. I was always bothered by the fact that the stock bike had only the lamest of helmet hooks, and it is sad that it took me this long to put one on the bike. I got a basic MotionPro lock from a local scooter shop, but modified it to bolt onto the bike where the original seat lock is supposed to go. I think it looks pretty good, and keeps the helmet well away from the muffler:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also contacted a local body/paint shop about painting the bike. This guy is a super talented painter, and he did my first bike after a crash, but he still wanted more than i wanted to spend. $800 is very realistic for a professional job, but I don't think I want to spend that much. SO I've been talking to other local airheads and I have the opportunity to use a friend's garage "paint booth" and his paint guns etc, and he'll help me paint the bike myself:)! (I LOVE the Socal ABC) I'd probably be able to do the paint for $200 - a considerable savings AND fun learning experience. However, I've been having much doubt about changing the color, and not a few naysayers have chimed in;) So the paint project is on hold...

I hope everyone is well:)
    Spencer
  18. Mike V.

Mike V. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike is looking great Spencer. Nice to hear you're getting a chance to enjoy it.

My limited experience with paint is yes, you can do it yourself. The final product will be determined in the quality and extent of the prep, materials and equipment. If you have access to a good controlled environment (booth) and good equipment it can be a fun job - after the prep. Take your time, don't rush through it.

Maybe a good time for a color poll?

Church this Sunday?

-Mike V.
  19. benthic

Oddometer:
    If you'll be there, i'll be there! haven't seen you in ages!
  20. benthic

Oddometer:
    Hi all:)

I thought I'd post an interesting problem and solution I just came across...

On Saturday, I was riding all over the place going from Airhead house to Airhead Barley Therapy to Airhead house, having a grand old time, when on my way home at the end of the day I noticed that my turn signals weren't working. This immediately had me worried because I knew they were on the same fuse as the brake light... sure enough, i got home and i had running lights but no brake lights or turn signals... shit.

The fuse had indeed blown. First I blamed Mike V. for hexing my bike out of spite;), then Renner and I had a nice conversation about water through garden hoses, and last night I inspected all my connectors and wires - found nothing alarming, so I disconnected my bar-end signals and brake light modulator thinking just maybe i had to much load on the fuse (unlikely since all the lights are LED, but I figured it was worth a shot). With the lights working again, I rode off to a local motorcycle evening at Cerberus Motorcycles. I got half way there (3 miles) when again, the signals were out. shit again!

I changed the fuse at the shop figuring it would get me home at least halfway again when i left.

[​IMG]

Had a pleasant evening, and took off with fingers crossed. So of course i'm looking down every time I use the turn signals to make sure they are working. I get on the highway, am cruising home, go to change lanes to the left, look down at the turn signals and POOF! sparks fly and the turn signal is out. i was startled;)

As it turns out, my new helmet lock key, which is dangling from the ignition switch, shorts out against the aluminum of the left turn signal housing. But of course only if it swings to hit the signal as I'm turning left. I was about ready to pull the wiring backbone out of the bike! I would never have thought of this. (i probably wouldn't have seen the sparks during the day either)

[​IMG]

who would have thought adding a helmet lock would interfere with the electrical system!?;)