Tyre load ratings

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by zeropoint, Mar 26, 2013.

1. zeropoint

zeropoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the max load rating for a rear tyre meant to include the total weight of the bike, rider and luggage or just the amount that is distributed to the rear axle ?

Also, I know from the manual what the maximum total loads for the bike are front and back but how is the bike's own weight distributed between the two ?
  2. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM ?, it's the same number surely ?.

(You mean you NEVER pop the front off the ground ? - if so, hand over the keys and buy a Honda - one of the four wheeled ones)

Being sarcastic yes, but I think you can assume that the rear wheel *will* take the full weight at some point.

Pete
  3. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    technically if you combine the load ratings for the front and rear tire, then calculate the actual load (bike, accessories, luggage, rider, passenger, fuel, etc) that is what you are concerned about.

most bikes don't have an exact 50/50 weight distribution, so you have to kind of take that into consideration.

overall, most of the big GS's and stuff are probably well over loaded when it comes to weights of all the stuff they put on the bikes. add in some under inflation issues, and it's surprising that tires last as long as they do. usually that's what causes low tire life on most bikes, under inflation.

I had an FJR for a while, lots of folks complaining about getting 2-3k miles out of the pirelli diablo strada tires when they came out. I put a set on with a tire pressure monitoring system (real time pressure and temps, it was pretty cool setup). Ran higher end recommended pressures. rode a lot two up, did two or three track days two up, and lots of commuting and mountain riding. Got about 10k out of the rear and 14k out of the front. it's all about the pressures...
  4. zeropoint

Oddometer:
    man i travel everywhere on the back wheel only....hence my question. :wink:

seriously though the loads on the 990 are different front and rear - 200 kg front, 250 kg rear with a 420 max overall.

i'm asking because i just swapped out the scorps for mefos and noticed the 335kg load rating on the rear. I'm 89 kilos and the bike wet is 222, luggage is around 35. plus a couple of kilos of farkles comes out to around 350kg. Ok so that's within a 5 percent margin which I guess is ok as long as I'm not hammering the speed...... but will i be able to take any pretty spanish girls for a ride on the back on the way to Morocco ?
  5. zeropoint

Oddometer:
    Thanks SpeedyR.....yeah i'm getting quite anal about my pressures....It's ok I'm a virgo....and will ride the Mefo SE at 40 on the rear on the highway sections fully loaded. Just installed some pressure/temp sensors as a matter of fact.....