Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. big-t

big-t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anybody direct me to the "EASY BUTTON"......:lol3

Got a problem with the Montana.Leaving in morning so I don't have time to read all 500 pages .I have been using tracks for dualsport and snowmobiling,but for this trip someone sent me some routes of various lengths.I have tried using Basecamp and Mapsource to load these routes,but they continually show up as tracks when loaded into the Montana.If I zoom in they sometimes snap to the road and look like routes,sometimes the both the track and route are present,but its kind of iffy and I would really like something concrete before heading out into the mountains with a unit that sometimes shows me the way..:huh

I'm sure its probably just a setting,but I have been over most of them and they look correct.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Forget Mapsource. Use Basecamp.

The whole route/track thing's been researched and documented very thoroughly in the Routing With Garmin's Montana... thread. I suggest you read that asap.
  3. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    "Track Distance"

I don't remember seeing this Trip Computer field before. Or maybe I just didn't understand what it was? Anyway, this looks useful.

I reset my Montana yesterday when I was switching firmware versions (forward to 4.90) so when I headed out on the bike this morning the Odometer, and Trip Odometer were at 0. After I got home I was adding fields to the Trip Computer and saw the Track Distance field and added it.

At that point the Trip Odometer and Track Distance were the same. I cleared the track through Track Manager, and reset the Trip Odometer so it's now reading 0, and the Track Distance is still reading 64.82 Km. So even though the Track is cleared on the gps, the distance is still recorded.

This might be handy sometime.
  4. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    In Basecamp, if they have the footprint icon and when you double click them you see Summary and Notes in the list view, it's a track. Under Edit menu, use
    the Create Route from Track then transfer both to the Montana. Rename them something like Day 1 Route and Day 1 track to be sure what you're looking at.
  5. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Track Distance has been available since firmware v3.70, released in December 2011.
  6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
  7. Kylänmies

Kylänmies n00b

Oddometer:
    So many pages of information. :) Would you recommend this over Zümo350LM? Apparently this has it's flaws, many of them has been solved, right?
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    The Track Distance field isn't working properly or is of little value since it doesn't actually have relevance to the Current Track as is stated in the Data Field Definition. After you Clear Current Track it should zero if it were working properly.

Cheers,
  9. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, DRTBYK. AS soon as I get my Montana back, I will check this out!
  10. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Looking to replace my Zomo 550 with the Montana 650.
    Going to use it on my wee for mostly the highways and some logging roads.
    Also be on my dirt bike for more remote areas.

My question is I need the Dvd CNNA for roads but must also purchase CNNA on a card to get the Lifetime updates...right?
    Is the Lifetime updates worth the extra cost.

The only reason I want the Dvd version is for working in basecamp on my PC.

One more question which do I want 24K topo 100K topo?

Thanks
    Fred
  11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You buy the CNNA maps on DVD, then a Lifetime Map Update for about $70 more. It's sold on what looks like a credit card.
  12. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    As Emmbeedee suggested. But, you might also give OSM US maps a try before purchasing Garmin's CNNA. The OSM maps are free and the detail is often times better in-city than Garmin's CNNA. This site only downloads the map file that can only be loaded/copied to the GPS (gmapsupp.img).

If you want to load OSM Maps onto your BaseCamp computer than you will need to go to this OSM site and select your maps. They will send you an email with links where to download the various maps you requested in formats for PC, MAC(BaseCamp), gmapsupp, etc. Like all Garmin compatible maps, the OSM maps once installed on your computer can be installed on your GPS (Montana).

Topo's are not that useful but if you want to buy Topo's the 24K US Regions are Garmin's latest and are routable (they are not cheap but they are not locked either).
    Cheers,
  13. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    You guys are fast wow.

I think I used OSM maps on my 60CSx while back and they were pretty good.

Thanks
    Fred
  14. KTM Explorer

KTM Explorer Dirt Whore

Oddometer:
    I have a Garmin Montana, used it once.

**Is there a larger unit made - by anyone - which is easier to read on the go?
    While it is amongst the largest probably available, this is just too small
  15. Hollyr

Hollyr Vesterislendingur

Oddometer:
    I saw this magnifier for GPS units here. Thought about it for half a second then thought right, I'm going to have the sun shining through a magnifying glass onto my GPS--fire anyone? Has anyone actually tried this?
  16. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lowrance HDS-7. There are Topo maps available, but I'm not sure what the options are for steet / road.
    http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Chartplotter/HDS7m-en-us.aspx
    (There's also the slightly smaller HDS-5.)

Edit - just realized that model is discontinued (replaced with the new touch screen HDS-7m), but they still have the HDS5 (as the 'Baha') - http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Chartplotter/Elite5mBaja-en-us.aspx
  17. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    The Nuvi Units have 5'' screens I have the 2595 for the truck works good and very easy to read.

I guess you could figure a way to mount to a bike.
    I think the power would be a problem (mini usb) and not waterproof.

Fred
  18. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    The Motorcycle Profile, main page icons have lost the text! It happened while I was changing the icons around & I can't seem to figure out what I did. The text is below the icons in the drawer, but not on the main page. If I move them from the main to the drawer the text reappears, when I put them back it's gone. All of the other profiles are ok.

Any help figuring out what I did would be appreciated

BTW, I've searched till I'm blue..

TIA,

Sleddog
  19. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You can get the Lifetime Card for about $55 on Amazon the last time I looked.:clap
  20. heilong

heilong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a dual-language (Thai and English) Thailand Street Map map installed on my Garmin Montana. The GPSr is set to English and the map correctly displays in English, however in BaseCamp all the names on the map are in Thai (my computer's and BaseCamp's interface language is set to English). Any ideas on how to make it English?