Do I want to do this?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by 685, Mar 26, 2014.

1. 685

685 Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike is posted on the local Craigslist. Been up for about a month & is still available. It's '78 R80/7, local Tucson bike for all it's life. Don't know the good stuff, and haven't gone to see it.

Picture:[​IMG]
    screengrab

Sorry for the crappy pic, it's what's up on C/L.

The bad. Hasn't been on the road for 10 years. Owner says engine is seized, so probably will need oversized pistons (available?) and an bore job. I don't know if these are Nikasil cylinders. Parts are not showing up in the pic, including exhaust pipes, mufflers, front fender, side covers, and battery. Paint, from what I can see, looks pretty poor. As it's not running, I won't be able to evaluate anything about the engine & gearbox. And tires will be toast.

He's asking $1200, I'm thinking $900, depending on actual condition. And maybe going to $1000.

So I'm thinking it may take a grand to get it back to a rideable, sellable condition. Do I want to do this?
  2. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't. Those aren't nikasil btw.
    If you're wanting a project, you can get something that's complete and running in the 1500-2000 range. It's worth spending the extra money instead of hunting down parts, hoping the bore on a seized engine is salvageable etc.
    There's too much guess work to drop 1k on something.
    Looks like it needs front fender and brace, headers, exhaust, turn signals and probably more that I can see. Add to that fluids, questionable cylinder with it being seized and the problem that caused it to seized. You'll have well over a grand more to spend to be running again.
  3. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean this is the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    ^

And he's just talking money. Think hard on the kind of time that will also have to be spent to make this one a runner. :nah
  4. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    All that just to make it "Sellable" as you stated...nope nope nope.

[​IMG]
  5. rambozo

rambozo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ ^ ^

If you got it for $500 it would maybe be worth it for spares
  6. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    Geez, I guess I'm easy. I think I'd throw $1000 at that. I'd want to look at it first, but 1000 seems like a good place to start. An r80/7 isn't a special, super desirable bike, but it is a good one, and one you wouldn't have to feel bad about bastardizing if you're so inclined.
  7. Biebs

Biebs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If a Tucson bike all it's life rust should be minimal good for parts.

$500 is a good price non running then assess the engine condition and go from there.

Anything over $500 it better be running!!!:freaky

Good Luck:clap
  8. KatCon85

KatCon85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a running but rusty 1974 R75/6 with 31K miles last august for a winter project bike. I have since put over 2K in parts, and additional funds for a pro to do a top end job with hardened valve seats. I paid $2500 for it.

I have replaced the rear main seal, the seal between the driveshaft and final drive, the master cylinder (after rebuilding- it still leaked) most of the rubber gaskets, 95% of the bolts with SS, complete teardown and re-build of the carbs, rebuild the front brake caliper, new rear shocks and front springs, new mufflers, new sidecovers (old ones were broken) AND electronic ignition. Basically a restore, w/o the strip it to the frame and re-paint everything. I spent hours and hours cleaning oxidation off of aluminum.
    Is it worth the over 5K I have into it? probably not. But I had a blast working on it myself this winter, and it looks and runs awesome now. I am planning on a cross country trip next summer, and I'll be keeping this bike for a long time- so it was worth it to me.

80/7 are good bikes- but know ahead of time just how deep the money pit is!
  9. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    No more than $500. Missing too many parts. Not running. Old rubber. Probably is destined to be a parts bike. I'd look at it before even offering that much. Can' really tell the condition of the parts that are there from that pic.

Those are iron cylinders but have the same spigot size as Nikasil so they, Nikasil parts, will bolt on.
  10. 685

685 Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys. I think I'll just let 'er pass me by. I've already got a project bike, but my heart (not my head) was talking to me about the bike on C/L. I knew I needed a reality check, and you all gave me one.:rofl
  11. dm635

dm635 I Roll

Oddometer:
    I bought the same bike. Did I pay too much, I don't know. But I knew the owner I got it from, rode it home and been riding since. I paid $2,500 for a sub 20Kmile bike. Paint leaves a little to be desired. Had my good buddy give her a ride over the weekend and got his approval. Other than the paint I'm enjoying it.
  12. Jim Day

Jim Day full manic mechanic

Oddometer:

These bikes do have a way of getting under your skin :lol3
  13. chollo9

chollo9 Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer:
    Heart AND head need to both be involved . . .
  14. 685

685 Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup! I just emailed the guy and told him I was passing on it. Maybe he'll come back with "make me a ridiculous offer.)

Gets better, according to the parts fiche on MaxBMW, it is a nikasil cylinder, neither cylinders nor pistons are available from the mothership. So it could be bad, really bad.

I'm not a collector, and my R90/6 mongrel is showing renewed signs of life. So I'll keep on working on it.
  15. johnwgy

johnwgy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    78 R80/7 isn't nikasil. I have 2 motors from 78, one a 1050 and the other stock.
  16. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I was not built as a Nikasil motor. If you can find the parts at a dealership then they will sell you Nikasil parts. The parts fiche list the parts they will sell you to repair the bike. Not the same thing as the parts the bike was built with.
  17. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean this is the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    Kinda funny that if the OP had found a seized-engine/rat G/S or GS we'd all be PM-bombing the guy for contact info :lol3

But Greg would still get there first :lol3
  18. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Not all I think. I realize there is mucho draw to the true dual sport/touring machines. But many of us think the market is over inflated and they cost too much.

I also think if I put a knobby tire on my /6 I'd be able to go 99% of the places a GS or G/S was able to go.
  19. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are 100% correct about being able to go 99% of the places a g/s could on a /6. I do it sometimes :D
    More suspension would make it more comfortable...but it's still doable.
  20. dr650dave

dr650dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the future you might want to be careful about telling how the bike you're interested in can be found...
    http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/4338519083.html
    This one wasn't a great deal but the next one might be. And by the time you realize it... someone here may own it.