Tiger Tales - Dialling in the 800XC for the dirt

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Burren Rider, Jul 6, 2011.

1. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Those "faults" are included in this very "tongue in cheek" thread. http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,2770.msg36053.html#msg36053
  2. Scaredofthedirt

Scaredofthedirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is this cleaning thing you talk about........:D
  3. Windy Rider

Windy Rider Live to Ride!

Oddometer:
    Just one of those bad habits I suppose! Enjoy working on bikes as much as riding them :)
  4. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
  5. halfast3

halfast3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haven't finished reading the entire thread so my apologies if this has been covered.

The stock DL650 V-Strom CS sprocket is a direct fit on the T800 and it has the molded in rubber damper for reduced chain noise.

:beer
  6. Burren Rider

Burren Rider Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G'Day,

I really couldn't tell you to be honest. I don't take a lot of notice but I always leave a bit of safety margin at the top? I'll take a look next time and let you know.
  7. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    G'Day Shane,

The stepper motor issue seems to be as simple as some preventative maintenance at major service intervals. Mine certainly hasn't played up since it was diagnosed (I have now done an additional 7,000km's of predominantly dirt).

The aesthetics of the Safari tank are a personal thing I guess. Coming from a dirt bike background, I like big plastic tanks. There is just something about them that feels reassuring as you wander off into the wilderness. Bladders do the same job to an extent but they aren't as convenient and to my mind, don't carry the fuel aswell from a handling perspective? Of course, here in Oz (and no doubt where you are) there is an argument for the big main tank and the bladders on certain trips.

I ordered the Dealer Tool for my Tiger and it seems to do everything you would want it to do. It can read fault codes, give you live data on the engine management software and even balance the throttle bodies. From memory it was around 70 pounds from the UK?

Cheers,

Danny
  8. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    G'Day,

Great photo's. I am hoping to get over there one day, it looks like an awesome place to explore?
  9. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    I missed this one on my first reply. My understanding of the stepper motor though is that if you do the maintenance, it won't be an issue. If it was a ticking time bomb I could understand the reluctance to take it into remote area's (I wasn't thrilled when mine played up in the outback). Now that we know about the problem though and what needs to be done to prevent it, I think it has been relegated to a bit of additional maintenance :dunno
  10. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice job. I am hopeless with Stainless so that looks like some pretty impressive backyard engineering :thumb
  11. Burren Rider

Oddometer:
    G'Day Mick,

I haven't ridden in traffic much with mine but on single trail where the temps start climbing it really hasn't been an issue? It definately feels a bit warmer on the legs than a single but I have never felt it was a problem?
  12. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers for the reply Danny
    As I said before, when i saw the first xc here the other day it was love at first sight and very impressed with all the write ups bar the steppe motor issue

will have a test ride in a few months when i get back from my Europe ride :clap:clap:D and after summer here (41C at 0930 this am)

what batteries are you guys running in your XC's????

the sales guy here said they were putting a Ni-cad battery in their demo

all the best
    Reef
  13. Windy Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Burren,

Thanks for the comment about my home made Oil filter guard, I love to make things like this in the shed. Did you see the Rear brake reservoir guard that I made, back in post 1004.

I would like to add further comment on the stepper motor issue and tell what happen to me on this issue;
    This was an issue for me from very early on from about 600km on the odometer, as I wasted no time getting the Tiger into the dirt and dusty conditions. After this ride I went home and gave the Tiger a wash and the problem seamed to go away. I told my dealer about it and they suggested to upload the latest map for the Tiger, which made a difference to the Tiger. Until last week I was toward the end of a 1300km ride and again in dusty conditions. I was able to get the bike to run normally by turning the bike on and off three or four times getting it to do its full cycle. Once I got home I went straight to My local dealer and informed them of the problem. So the Tiger was booked in for sugery. when I took her in I asked the mechanic if he could call me when he had it apart so I could have a look for my self what the problem was.

The mechanic was great in explaining it all to me and what the actual problem was. He explained to me that it was not actually the stepper motor that it was the arm that the stepper motor actuates, (see the picture bellow) Only on some Tigers the problem is the brass bush in this arm has not been lubricated during manufacture at the triumph factory therefore allowing dust to enter the bush and stop it from moving, the mechanic showed me the dust that he cleaned from inside this bush (it was amazing how much dust came out of this little bush).

The remidy this offending bush is to lubricate with 'Never Seize' and to never have this problem again.

This is a big job for self maintenance once the tank etc are off and then the air box the top of the Throttle bodies have to come off as this arm is between two of them. Once back together the carbys have to be sinked back together. The mechanic said if I wanted to check this myself in the future to bring it back in and he would sink the Throttle bodies again for me.

All is good again. I hope I have explained things right and have put some minds at ease to what the acual problem is. if you are worried about this and are giong on a big trip I would get it looked at. It took my mechanic about two & half hours to do this.

[​IMG]
  14. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Carby's!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I thought these XC's were fuel injected as below ???????????????????????????????

Specifications

<TABLE id=motorcycleSpecTable class=motorcycleFullSpecTable><TBODY><TR><TH colSpan=3>Engine and Transmission</TH></TR><TR><TD class="leftCol borderBtm borderRight" colSpan=2>Type</TD><TD class=borderBtm>Liquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line three-cylinder</TD></TR><TR><TD class="leftCol borderBtm borderRight" colSpan=2>Capacity</TD><TD class=borderBtm>799cc</TD></TR><TR><TD class="leftCol borderBtm borderRight" colSpan=2>Bore/Stroke</TD><TD class=borderBtm>74.0 x 61.9mm

</TD></TR><TR><TD class="leftCol borderBtm borderRight" colSpan=2>Fuel System</TD><TD class=borderBtm>Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class="leftCol borderBtm borderRight" colSpan=2>Exhaust</TD><TD class=borderBtm>Stainless steel 3 into 1, high level stainless steel silencer</TD></TR><TR><TD class="leftCol borderBtm borderRight" colSpan=2>Final Drive</TD><TD class=borderBtm>O ring chain</TD></TR><TR><TD class="leftCol borderBtm borderRight" colSpan=2>Clutch</TD><TD class=borderBtm>Wet, multi-plate</TD></TR><TR><TD class="leftCol borderBtm borderRight" colSpan=2>Gearbox</TD><TD class=borderBtm>6-speed</TD></TR><TR><TD class="leftCol borderBtm borderRight" colSpan=2>Oil Capacity</TD><TD class=borderBtm>3.7 liters (1.0 US gals)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  15. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:

They are FI, WTF are you on about :scratch
  16. Windy Rider

Oddometer:
    Picky, yes I realise they are fuel injected, just trying to explain this to be helpful to fellow Tiger riders:huh
  17. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    It was a great post Windy, very helpful.
  18. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the photo. Are you saying that the dust getting inside the bush is stopping the arm from moving?
    Do you think that covering the whole of the outside of the bush with grease would prevent the dust from getting at the bush?
    Never Seize = Copper grease????

Even though it's EFI the throttle bodies still need synchronising.
  19. Windy Rider

Oddometer:
    The mechanic showed me the dust inside the bush, grease out side the bush, not sure?

This is what the mechanic said to me, he had to plug in the laptop and sink it. Maybe to do with the EFI
  20. blacktiger

Oddometer:
    It's exactly the same as having carbs. What you're doing is making sure the butterflies are all opening at the same time so that all the cylinders work at the same rate. That way you get the best out of the engine & smoother running because everything is working together.