Which one for INDIA? "S10 or GSA"

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Rezy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Rezy

Rezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Wreckchecker..

Ya right, the place i come from his coastal stretch of Karnataka state, its more or less like Goa, the climate and the landscape. I have used hardly 5% of my riding time in city traffic. Mostly its highway and my average speed been 100 Km/H and at times reaching 150 Km/H for few seconds in between.

I forgot to mention that i do have a Honda XR650R back home, which i moved last year to India through cargo. But by the time it was ready i had to come back and im waiting my next vacation in about 2 months to go back and try that.

Saying all that, Shall i keep the both or sell both of them and get a S10 or GSA?

[​IMG]
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The S10 picks up where the XR650 leaves off. If you're doing a lot of off road that's the bike to take you there and back. The big adventure touring bikes are for off pavement (hard packed dirt roads). The weight of the big bikes becomes apparent when you try to ride them off road - unless you are a highly skilled enduro rider. It would be a shame to spend all that money on a new bike that's mostly a dust collecting garage queen. Between your TDM and XR you have a lot of flexibility. But I do understand the desire for a new toy :lol3 I suffer from this affliction as well. :D
  3. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    @Rezy,

I'll throw in my 2 cents and suggest you consider what a few others have, and that's the BMW F800GS. You've said the Yamaha dealers are nearly zero there so I assume parts are equally hard to get, you have a BMW dealer 30k's from your house, and fuel range is important to you (the F800 uses very little fuel given it's size and HP output!). Also, the F800 will be quite a bit less $$$ vs the others, and that should figure into things since it will be sitting for months at a time. It is also much smaller and lighter, which is a big factor in muddy conditions.

If I were in your shoes, I would sell both the Honda and TDM and get the F800GS. It can go places either of those other bikes can go, has greater range, and if the itch is there to go to other countries, it can certainly do that and you can find support everywhere for them.

Best of luck in your decision.

-SM
  4. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are fortunate in being able to do what you wish, even if only for a short period at a time. Probably everybody who has been a soldier or worked as an ex-patriate knows the planning and waiting head game that you are going through and does not envy your need to do this.

My suggestion is going to be the least technical - get the one that makes you the most happy.
  5. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It makes no real difference if the bikes is a S10, GSA or F800Gs, it will be VERY rare in a country like India, and it is logical that support, parts etc. are not as easily available than they might be in the US, for example. Europe, North America, Australia and just a couple of other countries in the world are the big markets for this kind of bikes... but the rest of the planet rides much cheaper and smaller bikes. "Find support everywhere" is a bit thick. No you won't.
  6. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    Interesting comment. I read ride reports from all over the world and in many countries there is a BMW shop.....and the OP stated in his post there is a BMW shop 30k's from his home.

So what is your suggestion to assist his decision? :ear

-SM
  7. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    I wouldn't say it that way but I agree with the sentiment.

I worked in Northern India (Himachal Pradesh, right on the Tibet border) for a year. I have no experience in the south but if you have a classic Enfield or a small Suzuki or Honda, you can get parts or service in any little town (just expect everything to happen on Indian time). If you own a fuel injected, computerized anything, you are on your own. You can probably get service for a big BMW or Yamaha in a large city but not in the mountain towns. It is simple supply and demand, if you ride what the locals do, you can get parts and service.

On the bright side, you'll be able to get your high tech, broken down bike trucked back to Delhi pretty cheap! :lol3
    Also, the best of India is far away from the cities; going to Delhi is like being sent to purgatory, so you really don't want to have to go there. I only went to Delhi when I was rotating in or out and I couldn't wait to get out of there.

My best advice would be to go low-tech and enjoy the Indian way. Don't go high tech and try to force a western view of travel on India (or any third world country), you'll just get stressed out.

Maybe you should pm Chanderjeet for his advice. He is a mod here and an Indian resident.

Edit - An XR650R would be a great bike for India but parts will be difficult to find. I would add a dual sport kit to it to get some lights. If you are a westerner, any accident is automatically your fault, so not having lights will be trouble.
  8. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    Understood, but in trying to stay with his original inquiry:

"BMW R1200 GS Adventure: 42,000 US$ (Available through order in BMW showrooms across India, nearest one is 30 Kms from my house.)
    Yamaha Super Tenere 1200: 32,000 US$ (Have to purchase in Dubai or Oman and then export it to India)

Considering my type of use, which is Using 2-3 weeks (3000 Kms) every 4 months and then parking for 4 long months, which of this two is more suitable to India? Also considering 4 months Rain, 4 months Summer and 4 months Winter. "

Would you recommend Yamaha or BMW? :ear

-SM
  9. Rezy

Rezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all, a ton for the review and inputs.

All indications comes to the mid version of a proper enduro. The TDM 850 i have is mostly road oriented and XR650R on the other hand offroad focused. I will try exploring someting wich has best of both Onroad and Offroad. And if i do so, these both TDM & XR-R will be for sale shortly.

There is a BMW F650 Funduro with a known guy,, will try exploring it too.

Regards,

Rezy.
  10. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even if there is a "shop" somewhere, doesn't mean they store any parts for your bike, unless it is imported to that country in larger quantities. Expecting them to have expertise in servicing the newest, fanciest models with FI, traction control, and electronically adjustable suspension could also be too much. So learn to be able to maintain the bike yourself, especially if you're gonna go outside Europe, North America or Oz. And expect to wait, if you need parts.

About the S10/GSA thing I don't really have an opinion, they'll both be just about as rare as space shuttles in India, and have power in excess, keeping in mind what traffic is like over there. But surely with the longer suspension they would both be suitable for the roads there. Wouldn't justify the ridiculous prices for me, but if somebody wants to pay that kind of money, by all means they can do that.

edit. But if you can spend 30-40 grand on a new bike, then you'll probably be able to source the parts from somewhere, too. I would not be so surprised, if actually something was available for wealthy buyers in Delhi or Mumbai, for example.
  11. mantan

mantan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would not take my GSA to India. My other bikes, Aprilia RXV 550 or F650GS will be much better. I have traveled well in both north and south. Infrastructure is simply not keeping up with the population and prosperity there and traffic keeps getting worse. I go every 3-4 yrs. Like others said, an F800GS size bike is probably as big as can be used in India. BTW, I am posting from India now...
  12. Rezy

Rezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @ Mantan..

Great to know about your current visit and i am about to get one BMW F650 Funduro to my stable shortly. The deal is almost closing with a guy from delhi. My vacation will be in Feb 2013 so still couple of months to taste what i have in my plate.

Thanks again :)
  13. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to bring this up again, but check out this thread (even though it´s not about BMW, but this unlucky fellow has nevertheless needed parts and service for his big bike in India):

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/southern-asia/ktm-amritsar-67551

"The KTM orange of the Amritsar dealership is a sight for sore eyes but it turned out to a siren call"
  14. Rezy

Rezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    STEP1: Purchase Bike (COMPLETED)
    STEP2: Register the Bike ( in process )
    STEP3: Ride for a while ( ? )
    STEP4: Ship the bike to India ( ? )
    STEP5: Clear from Indian Customs Dept ( ? )
    STEP6: Register the Bike in India ( ? )
    STEP7: Ride in India ( ? )

[​IMG]
  15. muddysoles

muddysoles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CONGRATS :clap!!! You are the First S10 owner in the whole of Middle East ( though I could be wrong :deal)

Missed you by a couple of minutes at Zubair today. I get mine (Matte Grey) only by Tue or Wed.
  16. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Nice! congrats! After you've ridden the bike for a while, and have feel for the power band, be sure to do this quick mod!

[​IMG]

Insert a mini ATF fuse into the clutch switch harness. It will remove the restriction from the first 3 gears and you will also lose the T / S mode difference.. it's all S all the time. Just be sure the bike is in Neutral when you start it, because you have disabled the clutch safety switch, so it will start in gear.
  17. White Tenere

White Tenere 49 years on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Great choice!!!!
    I have a 2013 White Super Tenere and LOVE it..

[​IMG]
  18. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic choice.
    Congratulations!
    :clap

Now for traffic in India
    :huh
  19. muddysoles

muddysoles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that a TraX top box? How good are they for off-road riding?
  20. White Tenere

White Tenere 49 years on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Yes it is a Trax box, I've only owned the bike and boxes a short time now and haven't done any off road riding with it yet. I will say the metal seems "soft" I've put a small pressure dent on the lid from pressing down on it while closing/ locking the lid. For me the price was right so I will not complain too much..