MN off-road licensing

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by KTMSAM, Jan 13, 2013.

1. KTMSAM

KTMSAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    For all of you that ride your bikes on the street and the trails legally, what is the best way to go about it? Do you go get an ORV sticker also? If so, how much $$? This is my first bike that I will be using a lot offroad and I would like to have as few reasons possible to stay away from tickets or being told to get off of trails. I did a search on here and came up with a post from 2005, so I wasn't sure how credible the answers were for 2013. I planned on asking the DOT office this spring, but figured I would ask here just in case there is something else I should be aware of first.
    In case it makes any difference for engine size or whatever, it will be on a 2012 KTM 990 Adventure.
    Thanks in advance!
    KTMSAM
  2. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    I just renewed my OHM license for my KLR650, it was 36 bucks for 3 years.

You can renew online, but the first time you get an OHM license you can get it through any DMV license bureau place where you get your tabs. It's a flat fee, same for whatever motorcycle you register, but it is bike specific.

It's worth getting - not exactly expensive, and then you're sorted. Plus the fee goes to help keeping the trails open.
  3. KustomizingKid

KustomizingKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where all are there trails in this state and does anyone have maps you can buy?
  4. Spikehead

Spikehead Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
  5. KTMSAM

KTMSAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I have never seen that one before!
  6. KTMSAM

KTMSAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That's what I was hoping for, hopefully I will see you guys on the trails!
  7. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
  8. Metallic Waste

Metallic Waste Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer:
    I have one on my Jeep as well. The money goes towards maintaining our current trail system and opening new trails. I had a long talk with one of the DNR folk at the motorsickle show his weekend. Good things are happening!
    -K
  9. Tourbus

Tourbus Lost but not worried

Oddometer:
    OK next question, how does an OUT OF STATE rider partake of Minnesota trail riding? Legally.

I am from Wisconsin, rode the TMAT in 2010 and was never able to get a trail sticker / pass.

A newly minted Ranger at a State Park said easy peasy just go to a convenience store and get one, nope.

Convenience store guy says go to the Dept of natural resources, nope.

DNR person says go to the Deputy Registrar for motor vehicles, nope

Finally the lady at the Deputy Registrar says she is more confused after calling to the main DMV office for guidance, tells me not to worry about a sticker.

If only it was as simple in all states as it is in Michigan. One trail use sticker / one price for all, Resident or Nonresident. Good for Motorcycles, ATVs, Horse back riding,and Snowmobiles. Get one at pretty much any gas station or convenience store, can also order on-line prior to your trip.
  10. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Check out the regs here:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/ohv/ohv_regs.pdf

Specifically

Basically if yer just visiting for a short while, you don't need an OHM sticker. Yer welcome. ​
  11. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    It might be worthwhile to print that page and web address. Fold it up and keep it in a ziploc bag in your trailriding fanny pack. That way, when Johnny Law stops you again, you can show them that and where you got the info from. Many/most have laptops in their trucks and will be able to look it up themselves if they think your page is a forgery/fake.

Seems like a lot of goofing around for something like that, but it could save you even more aggravation down the road.
  12. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    I certainly would. :nod
  13. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    The problem there is that WI does not issue registrations to OHMs...yet. I haven't read through the regs recently, so I'm not sure how you and the MNDNR would handle this.
  14. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    It doesn't have anything to do with Wisconsin. If your OHM is an out of Minnesota motorcycle, and is only visiting Minnesota for less than 30 days, you do not need a Minnesota OHM registration for it to use it on Minnesota trails, that is all.

What Wisconsin regs are is irrelevant to that. The MN DNR doesn't care where they are from, as long as they are not resident in Mn for more than 30 days. You don't need a Wi (or any other state) OHM permit to ride on Mn trails.
  15. Tourbus

Tourbus Lost but not worried

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I will print and retain the needed docs.

By the way the TMAT eastern and central tracks are fun with a little of everything included. Very friendly people.

Fast gravel in the south, Skyline Parkway, Gandy Dancer Trail in the east and Echo Trail area are all worth a second visit.

Rode it solo on a KLR 650 approx 1700 miles in 5 days, camped 3 nights,from Stoughton WI.
  16. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    I read the regs differently than that. I will say that I have not communicated directly with the DNR for clarification though. For clarity, we're still talking about "trail riding," which may be too broad a term for this discussion, as there are circumstances where a highway legal Motorcycle is perfectly OK to ride on certain "trails" without an OHM registration, but there are also times when you definitely need a OHM registration.

You don't need MN registration if your OHV is actually registered in another state; since WI does not issue registration to OHMs, you're not covered here by my interpretation. If you have information to the contrary, please share.
    You don't need MN registration for an ATV if your state does not require one, if you operatoe on state or grant-in-aid trails, and if you also have a non-resident trail pass. But by definition OHMs are not ATVs. This may be a gray area...but the reg manual is very clear that this is for ATVs; it's silent on the same treatment for ORVs and OHMs.
    It's also unclear whether you can even get a non-resident trail pass for an OHM. Yes for ORVs and ATVs, but OHMs are unlisted. Perhaps that means out of state OHMs don't need one?

I'd recommend getting written correspondence from MNDNR clarifying the issue, and keeping that along with the MN regs. Better to have something from the horses mouth when dealing with a LEO.

From the MN Reg handbook:
    Minnesota OHV registration is NOT required for:

• OHVs registered in another state or country and not in Minnesota for
    more than 30 days.
    • ATVs that are used exclusively in organized track racing events.
    • ATVs that are 25 years and older (see page 9).
    • OHMs registered for highway use when operated on forest roads.
    • ATVs owned by a resident of another state or country that does not
    require registration of all-terrain vehicles; not in Minnesota for more than
    30 consecutive days; and are operated on state and grant-in-aid trails by a
    non-resident possessing a non-resident ATV state trail pass. See below for
    more detail on non-resident ATV Trail pass.
    • ATVs that are owned by Federal, Local and Tribal governments.
    And:
    Non-Resident Trail Passes

ATV and ORV
    Non-residents operating an ATV that is not registered in Minnesota on
    state or grant-in-aid trails must possess a trail pass. The trail pass must be
    available for inspection when requested by an officer.
    Non-residents may not operate an ORV on state or grant-in-aid trails
    without a trail pass sticker being displayed on the vehicle where it is readily
    visible.
    Non-residents do NOT need a pass if operating on a portion of an ATV
    or ORV trail that is owned by the person or the person’s spouse, child, or
    parent, or if ATV or ORV are registered in Minnesota.
    Duplicate non-resident ATV and ORV trail passes are available.
    Non-resident trail passes can be purchased through the internet (an
    additional 3% plus $1.65 service fee will be added), Game and Fish License Agents and Deputy Registrar offices.

17. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    My goodness.

It simply means that your vehicle needs to be registered as being in another state, ie like, "license and registration, please Mr.". Mn DNR don't give a rip about whether you have an OHV license for another state, they just want proof that said vehicle doesn't reside in Mn, and is therefore exempt from the Mn DNR requirements. How they would prove being in Mn for more than 30 days is the only grey area that I can see.

Personally, I'd prefer the Mi arrangement where everyone just goes and buys the same permit. Easy, and a bit more revenue for the trails (we would hope), but this is what it is.

The ATV specifics are by the by, dunno why you mentioned those.

Feel free to call up the DNR and verify if'n yer want.

If there's one thing Mn is good at, it's taking yer money. Yer fellow from wisconsin couldn't get anyone to sell him an OHM sticker. Why? He doesn't need one. Simple.
  18. Spikehead

Spikehead Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    I'll sell him a god damn sticker. :deal
  19. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Crap. Another money making opportunity missed. :fpalm
  20. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/ohv/ohv_regs.pdf

What's New:
    OHM Trail Pass. Non-residents operating an OHM on state or grant-in-aid trails must possess a state trail pass that must be available for inspection when requested by an officer. This pass is not required if the machine is registered in Minnesota. Non-residents do NOT need a pass if operating on a portion of an OHM trail that is owned by the person or the persons spouse, child, or parent or used exclusively in organized track racing events. Duplicate non-resident OHM trail passes are available.