DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. shootmymime

shootmymime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, i thought i would just introduce myself. last summer i went to Mid-Ohio with a buddy who owns hundreds of bikes. well he sold me one for a steal.$600 although it has been rebuilt and changed with some donor parts from a Honda CR (i think) its a great fun bike! so far i have added a baja light kit, pirelli rear tire xcmh (i also picked up a rear paddle tire) and just gone over the bike making sure everything was adjusted properly. ive put a few hundred miles on it riding it around my property this last summer. alright enough talking how about some pictures!
    the first few are how it looked the day i got it. then on the trailer back home, then the upgrades.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

See that smoke? I got it running again.

Thats the copious amounts of oil burning out of the exhaust from lubricating the piston and cylinder wall.

Rode the bike around for a few minutes then it started having issues again with backfiring.
    I think its going to stay in its current state until Bullitman281 comes down next month and he can give it a look.
    I'm tired of wrenching on this shitbox Suzuki.

In other news I put 103 miles on the Terra 650 and changed the oil today.
    Rides like a dream. Only 900 more miles until break in is over. :clap
  3. bullittman281

bullittman281 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easy now, The name calling might hurt its feelings. I've already got my work cut out.

You should try to ride it around and warm it up, see if its still doing the exact same thing or if its different now. '
    Now might be the time to order some new parts. At least it runs again.

bullittman
  4. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
    Ya, I may get a gasket set before you arrive.

Maybe tomorrow if I feel in the mood to get pissed off I'll fire it up and tinker with it.
  5. Zane Neher

Zane Neher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So.. Do DR250s usually have a steady tick coming from the top end (sounds like)?
    I changed the oil since someone told me old oil can make my clutch slip (which gets worse when the bike sits in traffic) and afterwards noticed a ticking. Never noiced before, probably due to the helmet, but my buddy said he's heard it before. Im also in the garage so it probably intensifies the sound.
  6. redleger

redleger Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer:

Could that even be categorized as a DR anymore? I think it looks amazing though. Mine runs like a damn sport bike IMO. faster than I imagined when I bought it. I am currently planning out the new aesthetic changes to totally change the look of the bike and I like what you did there.
  7. Zane Neher

Zane Neher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Confirmed, with the helmet on I can't hear the tick. Is this normal? I guess I should adjust the valves just to know it's been done.
  8. redleger

redleger Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer:
    question:

My plastic tank was painted by the previous owner. I am looking to change the look of my DR350SE but I am thinking of going a different route than buying a new tank. I am thinking of buying one of the seat/tank cover combos off of EBAY.

I do not know if the cover will fit the plastic tank, as it is bigger than the metal ones i believe. Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321063609251?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I am thinking this would be better than buying a new tank, and still change the look without the need to buy decals.
  9. shootmymime

shootmymime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what can i put around the exhaust pipe to keep my leg from getting almost too hot to ride? how well do the cloth wraps hold up to mud dirt and power washers?
  10. ADV BUM

ADV BUM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Use the fiberglass header wrap. After wrapping coat the wrap with DEI silicone spray. The spray will make the wrap last much longer and will repel dirt and water. It seems heavy when you first do it, but after it cooks it gets very light. It will smoke like crazy and stall the bike at first.
  11. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Obviously not highly abrasion resistant but should be ok and can be washed. You should not be power washing your bike anyway - or at least already taking care to avoid chain, seals and any other vulnerable bits so being carful around a bit of exhaust wrap shouldn't be an issue.
  12. wawarides

wawarides where's Laura0107? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't see where anyone answered you. I got rebuild kit #14146 from motorcyclecarbs.com for my '96's CV carb, which turned out to be a Keyster eCO2 Ace K-583 kit. Be sure to get all the (likely) varnish off the pilot jet hole with the right sized jet cleaner wire, guitar string, etc.
  13. CCook82

CCook82 goob

Oddometer:
    Yo guys, trying to get a 94 DR350 up and going. Looking for side panels on the cheap. any suggestions?
  14. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumperâ„¢

Oddometer:
    I have my old ones. They're intact but looks like they have been sanded. $25 shipped for the pair. Spray some Krylon white on them and call them new.
  15. Cool_Hand_Luke

Cool_Hand_Luke n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Redledger,

If you just want to change the color or even try making your own designs out of stencils, I hear that PlastiDip is good for plastic tanks. I saw a thread about it somewhere...I guess it comes in a spray can and it is a paint that doesn't bubble/fade from the heat/chemicals you get from the gas tank. I just purchased an old tank off a fellow ADVrider for my '99 DR350se...there is some yellowing on it so I am going to try this stuff out and see how it goes. Let me know if you want me to tell you if it works (maybe I can post a before/after pic or something)

Luke
  16. slimy

slimy Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Luke
    Please post how the PlastiDip works on the plastic gas tank. I am sure many will be curious how it works..... :ear
  17. RuggedExposure

Oddometer:
    I had one hell of a misadventure yesterday,
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864189

and I had to steal the front tire and tube off the DR350 to get to work this morning.

Anyways, I had to ride about 25 miles through awful terrain on a front flat. Its a brand new Metzeler Sahara tire, 90/90-21. Upon removal the tire seemed pretty flimsy, but intact. There are slight wear marks (smoothed out areas on the inside) but everything seems fine other than the tire being pretty soft.

I had to get creative swapping out tires/tubes since my motorcycle jack is 2 hours away in my shop and I had nothing to prop the bikes on...
    [​IMG]

Has anyone else ridden this far on a flat and still used the tire?
    Do you think this tire will be alright on the DR?
  18. dav_dman

dav_dman old guy tryin' to stay young on a bike

Oddometer:
    thats what i would do. I'll pm you a link to get a new pair for 60, but i'd buy chkn helmets and krylon them with plastic krylon paint.
  19. dav_dman

dav_dman old guy tryin' to stay young on a bike

Oddometer:
    krylon makes a plastic parts paint..home depot or autozone.
  20. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumperâ„¢

Oddometer:
    It doesn't adhere well to plastic gas tanks because of the Gases released through the plastic. I've been down that road already.