Buying and storing a motorcycle in Europe

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by wheatwhacker, Mar 8, 2013.

1. yauhen

yauhen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice!

Can't wait to ride the transalp in the background this summer!
  2. Platinumgrit

Platinumgrit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm just gonna chime in here and say Martin made possible the purchase of the R1 I'll be punting around Europe for a few months! (you can see it peering over the tail of the bike in the photo)

Without Martin's help it would have been a damn sight harder getting a bike organised.
  3. bnordgren

bnordgren Curmudgin

Oddometer:
    Stay on the left. Stay on the left.

Martin's place is a good area to practice riding on the left side; a critical skill if you expect to make it to where you're going. Most roads there lack any kind of shoulder or ditch. Two walls hem you in and provide many blind corners, which usually hide insane cagers. :D Not too hard to deal with if you're thinking about it, but I found that any time I did anything automatically, I did it wrong. It's hard to be thinking that hard about basic things all the time. Anyway, most of the way to the Rosslare ferry port was a major highway, sometimes divided. This was a good thing for me since it upped my chances of survival. Also critical to survival was NOT hopping on the bike right away. When I got there, I'd been up for more than a day. Sleep first. Ride later.

Martin's an awesome host and facilitator. I had a couple of extra days to kill because a missed connection in Denver pushed me back a day and made me miss the ferry I intended to take. It was actually kind of hard to keep up with Martin. This is all in addition to making it possible in the first place! Oh, and yes he knows where the beer lives.

So after that picture was taken, I made it to the Rosslare ferry. Due to a busted charge regulator, the bike died as I pulled up to the checkin gate. The TDM had a new battery, along with new tires/chain/sprockets, etc, so this was hard to detect on my little training rides. Pushing it off of the ferry on the France side, I managed to locate a repair shop with an English speaking owner in Cherbourg: http://univers-scoot.fr/ (in spite of the fact that its a scooter dealership, much of their used inventory and repair work is on real motorcycles.) So mental note: if getting acquianted with your 1800EUR, 20 year old bike reveals some issues you want addressed while riding to a Cherbourg bound ferry, call 02 33 44 63 45 and ask for Frank (the owner). I called five other numbers I found online, three of which were disconnected. The other two, I couldn't get past the language barrier. The part is coming in today and I expect to be on my way again.

BTW: it's hard to find a hotel room on "ferry arrival day". Frank also played the part of "concierge", taking me around to five hotels and speaking French at people for me. That lowered the stress quite a bit. Many thanks to Frank!
  4. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ken aboard his beautiful Varadero in Ireland summer of 2012, before departing for France.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Martin for helping us live our dream on a bike in Europe. :rayofThe Irish people were so friendly and fun to visit with we'll be back for more riding there, but the bike's stored on the Continent now for more fun this July. And yes, that Varadero is a great two-up bike for us. It even came with all the Hepco & Becker cases. We like them so much we sold our BMW System Cases to buy the same H&B cases for our 1150GS here in the states.:D
  6. wheatwhacker

Oddometer:
    Another beautiful Varadero picked up this weekend.

[​IMG]
  7. HerrFritz

HerrFritz Radical Opportunity

Oddometer:
    Hey Wheatwacker!

I have seen some great bikes on DoneDeal. One in particular for a Transalp said "Bike is restricted to learner legal. Genuine reason for reluctant sale". Could you translate that into American? Are there licensing and insurance restrictions for holders of valid US motorcycle endorsements based on the size of the bike?

Thanks

Fritz
  8. wheatwhacker

Oddometer:

Hi Fritz.
    Riders here on a learner permit have their bikes restricted to, I think, to 33 hp. On a transalp this would be a reduction of 10-15%.
    This restriction device is usually a washer in the carb, air inlet restricted or an electric power reduction on modern bikes. All are easily removed.
    A US license is good in Europe for 6 months after arrival.
    Insurance is handled by www.motosapiens.org and they provide cover in all of Europe.
    If there any more questions any of you guys would like to ask, feel free to do so, I am here to help.
  9. wheatwhacker

Oddometer:
    Moto touring in Ireland.

[​IMG]
  10. wheatwhacker

Oddometer:
    Of course a picture of wheatwhacker himself.
    Same bike, different continent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My proudest moment :)

[​IMG]
  11. Porterhouse

Porterhouse n00b

Oddometer:
    wheatwhacker you may not know it but your thread may have inspired my wife and I to take on Europe on a motorcycle. I was always concerned about shipping costs from canada and insurance etc... but your service may be our answer. It is an experience I have on my bucket list and I really hope that next year we are discussing options for my wife and I. I am already reviewing the donedeal site :) its a bit early but good to do research well in advance. ride safe.
  12. wheatwhacker

Oddometer:

Looking forward to helping you make your wishes come true.
    Join my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/motofeirme and keep up to date with the comings and goings of bikes in my "moto farm"
    If you see anything that takes your fancy on www.donedeal.ie, shoot me a PM and it will be in my barn before you know it, awaiting you when you arrive.
  13. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    No thread shitting please. Crap removed to Head Explody.
  14. wheatwhacker

Oddometer:
  15. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    Started a ride report about bopping around the British isles on my Transalp Martin was instrumental in purchasing, storage, etc.

Thanks, Martin
  16. Motor 1

Motor 1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ....at Wheatwackers place. US reg. (Tn) Bike in excellent shape & ready to go anywhere.
    E-mail @ rick@thedragonsend.com or call 07730391606. Rick
  17. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This probably needs to go into the "For Sale" forum, but while we're all here talking about it...

This will be available in late July (after the 25th).

US (Virginia) registry, stored at Stefan Knopf's place in Heidelberg.

Odometer reading is no longer valid, and will be even less valid by July 25 :D

I bought this bike new, but I'm looking to replace it with something a bit more dirt oriented. An F650 GS single comes to mind.

PM me for more detailed info if you're interested.

GPS & camera don't convey. GiVi cases & tankbag do.

[​IMG]
  18. wheatwhacker

Oddometer:
    Weeks later, here he is in Ireland.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. wheatwhacker

Oddometer:
  20. wheatwhacker

Oddometer:

Ian aboard his R1

[​IMG]

And a few weeks later, here is is on the French Alps.

[​IMG]