'12-13 Snowmobiling season!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by SnowMule, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Elburrito

Elburrito Donkey

Oddometer:
    nice looking rig, does it keep up to the bombi ?
  2. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is fast off the line but tops out around 100mph so it depends if we're running trails or bombing across a lake. Either way, at 800cc, 150hp it is a real arm stretcher!

Yesterday I got it and the wife's 550 running and ready to rock for the season! Just a little more snow and I'll be happy. As SnowMule says, the speed bumps are still a little rough yet.
  3. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Last weekend in Revy, epic

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sNRdAXesetk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:
    SnowMule - Sure would like to read a RR on your new sled...interested in motor, suspension, etc performance

Any of your riding buddies have a E-Tec Doo to comprare to?

What's your comparison to the Doo before buying the Pro?

I never would have thought anyone would build a much a lighter sled than the Rev chassis like yours is:
  5. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The one ride so far has been pretty good - Going to be a bit of a learning curve on the new chassis. When I pull it over and it spins around on a dime, going straight towards the tree on the uphill side of the turn ... yeah. :lol3
    That sled's made for sidehilling and it appears to do it quite well even in the mediochre snow conditions of last weekend. Certainly looking forward to getting it in some deeper snow where I don't have to worry about rocks/stumps/etc.

Motor feels a little weaker than my old sled did. It is a smaller motor, rated about 12hp less, and I'm still in the break-in map so we'll see how things change once I get past that. One big thing I noticed is it doesn't vibrate nearly as much, feels like it's balanced a lot better.

Suspension is noticeably improved from the 900 - Inside wheel kit on the track vs. the outside wheels on the 9, shocks that actually shock... Sway bar might come out once I get some more miles on it. Every sled has a balance point... from normal-upright position to the point where it'll sit comfortably on its side requires some force, and the sway bar will significantly reduce that force required to get it on its side. Made the 900 rideable in deep snow (where the chassis was designed to be ridden) at the expense of instability on the trails. To me, that tradeoff was worth it. I'm not sure if it is or not on the Pro yet.

Know a few guys around here with E-tec's. Spending a week in West at Pine Shadows/HiCountry/Ace Powder in Feb., they've got a whole fleet of 'doos.
    Saw the pivoting rear suspension at the snow show ... I'd hold off for a year or two before throwing money towards one of those just yet. My guess is you'll be yankin the rear skid out to replace heim joints on a regular basis. Also, with regards to the "broken" rods in the track ... you're losing a lot of mechanical durability by breaking the track that way. If a stump/rock punches through a window, the only thing keeping the track together is the kevlar and rubber versus having a fiberglass rod between the windows. It does pull over easily though, performance might be worth it.
  6. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    Fawk!!!, its still raining here, want some of this!!!!

[​IMG]
  7. RustyPhoenixMotors

RustyPhoenixMotors Oops...

Oddometer:
    *sigh*

[​IMG]
  8. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    Put in about 35-40 miles of trail riding today on my old '97 Polaris 440XC. One thing about a junky old sled, it demands some semblance of confidence on mountain trails... It doesn't do much in great big fields of poweder (not enough power and too short of a track) but I had a frikkin' blast!:clap

Anybody got any ideas why it feels like it's running out of fuel after a solid 10 second full throttle run? It doesn't die, but does feel starved like either the fuel pump isn't keeping up or the pump impulse line is a bit clogged and the carb bowls get low...
  9. RustyPhoenixMotors

Oddometer:
    Possibly a little lean on the jetting... Get it ripping down the trail and after it starts to do that hit the kill switch, pull the plugs, and see how they look.

p.s.- hoping to do a little maintenance on your old ST over Christmas break- had a blast on it last summer!
  10. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    That could be a number of things. Fuel pump of keeping up as you mentioned, clogging fuel line, clogged jet, float set too low, or cracked carb boots. Take a close look at the boots, if they are cracked and letting in air you could seize it up.

I wish I had my crappy old sled back. 20 inches on the ground here, all the trails are open.
  11. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions! I might start easy and change the fuel filter...
  12. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    A little chilly... :vardy
    [​IMG]

Home sweet home for the weekend...
    [​IMG]

The ears
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:wave
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dogmeat wipes out and somehow the sled managed to avoid every tree and tracks right down the trail. :eek1
    [​IMG]

End of the ride...
    [​IMG]

...decided not to play chicken with the snow. Shooting and cracking everywhere...
    [​IMG]
  13. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    I went out twice today. I got stuck twice today. I'm beat.
  14. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    XC's day ended early. :umph Bent something in the steering, tweaked some plastics.
    [​IMG]

Watch out for holes. :eek1
    [​IMG]

Dogmeat and I headed out for a bit
    [​IMG]

Dogmeat
    [​IMG]

Back to the trailer for food and puppy cuddles :lol3
    [​IMG]

:norton
    [​IMG]
  15. Trail Ryder

Trail Ryder Your Hero

Oddometer:
    Clogged or partially clogged main jet(s). Don't ride it any more until you clean the carbs or you will learn an expensive lesson. Hopefully, your cylinder(s) are not scored up.

Clean your carbs before the start of every season.

Mrs. Trail Ryder and I went for a ride the other day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. 2twisted

2twisted NRTHJSTNRTH

Oddometer:
    Couple pics from last weekend, looking like a good season if this keeps up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Been a pretty good season so far, but we could now use some fresh.

[​IMG]
  18. RustyPhoenixMotors

Oddometer:
    That reminds me... One of these days...

[​IMG]
  19. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    I'm sled shopping. :-) looking for a nice trail sled, a friend at work highly recommends the Polaris Indy Classic from the early 2000s so I'm scouring Craigslist. Wish me luck!
  20. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    todays ride Northern Ontario
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]