TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems to me even if gauges are more accurate then the bikes MAP sensors, you should use the MAP sensors anyways since that's how the ECU controls the bike. Any thoughts on this?
  2. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    The MAP sensors are often not matched exactly. You can read the voltages when the engine is stopped and then try to balance and adjust for this difference.

I've found using the MAP sensors to balance is very frustrating. TuneECU only updates the display every 1/2 second or so. Also, the values jump all over the place. I can balance with an electronic gage in 2 minutes and know it is right on. I've spent a half hour with the MAP sensors and couldn't tell if it was balanced or not.
  3. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    I'm using 2 stock map sensors connected to an innovate LM-2. dead accurate. its just that you cannot use tuneecu to display these values real time, that means its useless for balancing. lots of other good features though!
  4. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    Just ordered everything to build the cable. Still looking for the perfect MAP for a '12 990R w/ a CPR Filter, Leo Vince cans. Will most likely be removing SAS and everything else.

Thanks,

Laramie :beer
  5. ChrisK7

ChrisK7 KTM crash dummy

Oddometer:
    That's where I'm at.
    I just installed the Rottweiler air filter system on my 2012 SMT 990.
    I had already removed the 2nd butterflies, and disabled the SAS as well as installed the block off plates.
    I also remapped it for the Acro pipes. I forget exactly which map.

I have the Leo pipes on my bike and it was running very strong everywhere with no issues at all. After I installed the Rottweiler intake it still runs great but it seems like it may have just a bit less power now. I would assume that it is probably a bit lean now with the new intake system.

My question is, could anyone suggest a map or two to try for my set up? The only maps I know of seem to be for an exhaust only upgrade and not the exhaust and intake upgrade.

I am in a remote location and don’t have access to a tuner.
  6. furndog

furndog at least it's orange

Oddometer:
    Go to the Aussie SMT site and get one of Kev's maps he has several for exactly what you are looking for. I've used his maps on my SMT all with great results.
  7. petdav

petdav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if I can safely install an smt map on a 2012 adv abs standard w/wings?
  8. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going through other bikes maps into a different model ECU can be a very expensive thing. Stick to ADV model maps and their iterations.

Also 990Adv 06-08 are not compatible, only 09 onwards.

Take some time and read this thread, many of your questions are already answered!
  9. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    What is the most likely root cause of the ~5000 rpm/~70mph vibration? Ignition curves, tb imbalance, or just something elementally resonant about the engine and chain? Adjusting the latter seems to alleviate it a little. I have noticed it more since installing the 2012/13 R map. My tb's were balanced according to the map sensors, but I haven't tried swapping or checking them for offset.
    On using gauges...I was always a fan of analog gauges when tuning Italian twins. They were especially indicative of maladjusted throttle cables as one gauge would rise as the other fell until the adjustment was perfect. Are digitals that much better?
  10. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I select "adjust throttle cables", I can see the software it moves the throttle bodies to it's home position then, it prompts you to turn off the ignition. But, how exactly do you adjust the cables?
  11. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
  12. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    You don't need any special tool to adjust the throttle cable. It's just when you DO WANT TO adjust the cable, you have to consider the extra slack fro the motor movement, hence the feature in TuneECU.

Just move the throttle cable adjusters on your handle bar, but do pay attention not to over tighten it.
  14. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    Read every post, followed every link - Thanks to Alain for giving the motorcycling community at large this remarkable tool and AVDRider and the OC community for this invaluable resource of usable info.

My situation: '07 990 with Leo VInce SBKs, cannister & SAI intact. SBKs were installed by dealer on day one. 40k miles, always idled above 1500; "grabby" throttle below 4kRPM, very strong pull 3500 to 7500-8000; 26mpg avg. ECU map was Akra KM601AK0702S01 with O2 & SAI disabled. Exhaust always smelled rich, but tail pipe is a light gray.

I flashed the OEM US map KM601US0704501 with no modifications: I wanted a fresh starting point. The throttle is still grabby, but idles at a steady 1400 hot or cold, very slight hesitation at around 4kRPM, seems to have just a slightly weaker throttle response during acceleration from stopped and during high speed roll-ons and it's quieter: seems like there's less tail-pipe sound and less induction noise.

I'm going to run it like this for about 500 miles and make note of overall driveability and see what mpg improvements I gain.
  15. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I've read all the post and most on the Tune site and got a better understanding of what and how to do it. I'm not a computer person and
    these kinda things don't come easily to me and quite frankly scare the beejuzus out of me.

But I picked up a cable from CJ and after doing the groundwork, I was able to hook it up to my bike and connect. I then stopped and unhooked it all.

Now, my bike is a 07 S with all the mods I know of to help the bike run better, SAS and canister removed, block off plates, throttle cam, pipes, football butterflies, Rottwieller breather, etc.

I've done all the above to it the last couple of years, but when I bought it: It has a PCIII hooked up and the 02 sensors unhooked and blocked off. Don't have a clue how the PC is programed or even how it works. And I get 35 mph hooligan style and 40 mpg old man style.

So, my dilema is: I think the bike works/runs pretty well, still a little twitchy, but no other issues. For you guys in the know (PCIII and Tune ECU) should i mess with the bike?? I don't know how good, good can really be. I do like to fiddle, but as I said, not really computer savvy. Should I ditch the PCIII and go with TuneECU?? I've read the PC is just a bandaid, what's that mean??
    Will I gain a little with the Tune over the PC??
  16. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    A pc3 can do the job just fine. With the right map.
    It's a bit scary that you are running the bike with a map that you don't know.
    Especially that you are running a CPR airbox. Your bike might be running really lean and that's not good for the engine.

Why don't you plug the pc3 to your laptop and see what kind of map you have?

I would start there.:deal
  17. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    Reporting back on my findings since remapping my EFI back to stock from the "AKRO" map.

First impression: Yes It feels slower, or maybe better put as milder. Good acceleration from the bottom up to 5k. Definite flat spot between 4.8/5k to about 6.5k.

I was on the Berryessa/Knoxville ride Sunday an found a very snatchy throttle at low rpm was making it difficult to negotiate the up & downhill rock gardens on Reiff & Rayhouse Rds.

Those were the negatives, here are 2 positives: The exhaust note is quieter and I got a solid 39mpg :clap :(approx 80 miles fwy, 20 miles off road). That's about 15mpg more than I was getting with the AKRO map. Now I get to spend some time tweeking the stock map for better "trail" low end.
  18. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I know this is elementry to a lot of you guys, but I'm finally got a grasp on hooking up, saving my current map and downloading (uploading) another map to my 07 990 S.

But on the Tune website there are only 2 US maps for my bike, the stock and the Ankra map. And I'm running a 2 into 1 exhaust and a Rottwieller air box, along with all the de smog. I'm mainly interested in better MPG's and all the smoothness I can get vs power.

I don't feel like I have enough know how to start tweaking a custom map. Are there additional maps available to download that might fit my bike better?? Is there someone that might have a map that might fit better that could Email me one?? Or, is each bike so individually different that I can only customize and tweak the Ankro to benifit?? If so, ??

Help me out here....
  19. Reese

Reese Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out "KTM 990 Adventure 09-10 model years With 2-1 Wings slip-on exhaust - with spark arrestor baffle. BMC air filter" on the KTM Tune List where you found the two maps for your model year. You can't load the 09-10 map directly on your bike but you can copy the fueling values from it to a copy of your map so that you don't have to start tweaking from scratch.

Check out post #1936 in this thread and the few responses about new maps on old bikes.
  20. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    2009-2010 fuel and sparks setting don't work on older models!!

the cam shafts are not the same

this is explained several times in this topic already.