Bay Area Adventure Riders Club

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by T O Double D, Dec 2, 2009.

1. WoodsChick

WoodsChick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm an everyday bike commuter and I don't particularly like "street riding" here in the Bay Area for fun, at least not on a streetbike, but I really enjoy the funky pavement when it's out in the middle of nowhere. Stuff like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FunkyPavementChick
  2. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Hell yes! Is that third picture of Bear ridge road between Rio Dell and Mattole road? Most of the other pictures look familiar too.

Riding over Sonora pass certainly doesn't feel like work to me.
  3. WoodsChick

WoodsChick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, Sonora Pass...I forgot that one :lol3

[​IMG]

And you are correct on the 3rd photo. All those roads out there...Mattole, Dyerville, Alderpoint, Honeydew...they are all just one big E-ticket ride when on a plated dirtbike or a supermoto. Last time I was on Alderpoint I saw a guy on a ZX-10 bumping along at about 14mph. He looked miserable :D

WoodsChick
  4. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about the road from alderpoint to Covelo? Whoops, no that's alder springs to Covelo. I love that road on the KTM- it's like Skaggs springs with dirt. And once you get there, hang a right and head towands zenia!

I had a great time last time I was on Mattole road- on a sport bike, it might not be much fun, but on a DRZ-400, you can pin the throttle and have some fun.
  5. WoodsChick

WoodsChick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Alderpoint Road twists and turns east up the hill from Garberville and then it heads north at the intersection with Zenia Bluff/Alderpoint Bluff Rd. It then runs all the way to 36. It continues north of 36 but it's called something else and is even more goaty. There is just no end to the fun and games up there...

WoodsChick
  6. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    i can't tell if you mean that as hostility, or admiration, or sarcasm...

we're all friends here, right?

:evil
  7. WoodsChick

WoodsChick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geez, Dan...I'm really sorry if my oft-repeated photos angered you. Perhaps when quoting me in the future you might want to remove the attachments first so you don't, you know, perpetuate the madness. :thumb

I really like to ride my motorcycles, I like to travel throughout the west (by the way, how are Forest Hill, Cow Mt and Hollister these days? Haven't been to any of them in awhile...) and I like to take photos. If you don't like me or my posts, you are certainly more than welcome to not read them.

If I recall correctly, you are quite a few years older than me. Surely you understand that our remaining heartbeats are finite, yes? I prefer to use my remaining heartbeats in a positive manner. I come here for fun, entertainment and information. I get plenty of negativity in the "real world" and prefer not to spread any around when I'm here. In your very own words to Velo on TT many years ago, "If you got nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all." But, hey, that's just me :dunno We're all different; that's what makes this place so interesting.

So in keeping with the general theme of your post, and as a gesture of ADV good will, allow me to leave you with, yes...you guessed it... another photograph. This one was taken in Utah many years ago, and I am absolutely positive you've never seen me post it anywhere else.

[​IMG]

All my best to LeeAnn,

WoodsChick
  8. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'll second the part about quotes and add that I hadn't seen the pictures before. I kinda liked them. If I saw them again, I'd like them again too.
    Oh, and life's too short to worry about stuff like that. If you want to worry, worry about whey Clear Creek is still closed.
  9. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, awsome pictures.
  10. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    The freeway and multi-lane sections are the drag - the "means to an end", but give me a route with a mix of two lane pavement, one lane pavement, and double track dirt, and I will likely have a great time. :nod

So many great rides between SC and SF are entirely paved (although I was bummed when they paved over Lobitos Creek Road - one of the last pieces of through dirt in the area...) But, yes, the truly great adventures involve hours of riding away from the urbanized bay to get to the open and legal dirt! :devildog
  11. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    I'm going with "Hours". Oakland --> Santa Cruz is definitely an hour.

My last big ride was down to Pismo Beach, and it was serious suckage: had a flat on the hwy, and my motor did some weird at high RPM that I didn't much like.

I'm throwing my vote in for "SCAR". Steeeeekers! Heck yeah. If you need a graphic designer, hit me up.
  12. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    No, you're not.
    :rofl

Where'd he go??? You would make a good torero...
  13. WoodsChick

WoodsChick Long timer

Oddometer:

Crap...was I really that transparent? :lol3 You know me too well, HWD.

WoodsChick
    the Coolist (sic) Person Ever :brow
  14. T O Double D

T O Double D Pogue Mahone

Oddometer:
    Ok, how about a trip down to Big Sur area January 9-10. The riding will be fairly easy fire road stuff, but the veiws are amazing. Anyone and any bike is welcome. A more dirt oriented tire would be advised, as the roads will likely be wet and a bit muddy.

My plan is to camp at Kirk Creek CG then ride Los Burros Rd to Coast Ridge Rd, and up to Cone Peak on the first day. Day two we can ride through Hunter Ligget and the Williams Hill BLM land, then head back north to home.

Another option on camping is to camp along the ridge. This presents a problem with getting water and there will be no bathrooms or tables, but will be warmer and have less morning dew.

You will need to bring food and camping stuff (remember it will be COLD).

If there's interest I will put together a much more detailed description for this tip.

Cheers!
  15. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm just gonna say me and Paul are in. Paul, check with the spousal unit.
  16. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be in for this one as well as long as weather permits!
  17. T O Double D

T O Double D Pogue Mahone

Oddometer:
    That's a good point Scott. This ride is dependent on weather and will be canceled if rain or snow is expected.
  18. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    i've been looking to ride this area for a while now... i'll be in as long as i can get clearance from the tower, and i'll see if i can get one of my other friends to go as well!
  19. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Williams Hill BLM - hmmmmm... :wink:

Don't know much about it - but I think I've been through there on 4 wheels.

From the BLM site:

"Williams Hill - About nine miles west of San Ardo on the Lockwood-San Ardo Road. Access is off of highway 101. Eighty-five hundred acres of public land are accessible, mostly along ridge tops. The area has fair hunting opportunities for deer and pigs. No facilities."

Todd, how are the roads/trails in there?
  20. Mendodave

Mendodave Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all

I live in Little River, some of the inmates have stopped by a few times, especially the Sheetiron wackos.

We could use my place as a base camp for attacking the area's dirt, Usal, Mattole, etc. I want to go more east of 101, I've done most all roads west of it.

But hey, everyday is a new day, right?

Little River is just south of Mendocino, 2.73 acres of redwoods and lawn

keep me in mind when planning north coast ADV rides

Mendo