Ktm 950

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by JTS1, Jan 26, 2013.

1. JTS1

JTS1 Dirt Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Does this allow you to adjust fuel mixture or just slide/butterfly position?
    Flex Jet 2 kit
  2. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    fuel mix at idle. You've already got a cable control for the idle speed (i.e., butterfly position.
  3. JTS1

JTS1 Dirt Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Copy only the mixture at idle. Your right I do already have the idle adjuster. Are these worth the install?
  4. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Since you're in florida, and not seeing much elevation change, it's kind of hard to imagine it would be. I don't have any, and I've had my carbs out numerous times to make small adjustments- but once they're set, I don't really have much need to adjust the idle mix. It's just a money vs. pain in the ass question. I'm cheap, so I deal with taking the right side tank off and popping the carbs up enough to adjust the fuel screw.
  5. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    I would consider them if you spend time above or below your normal elevation. They will not solve all of the issue, however will help in the lower RPM range. If you are planning a long trip that perhaps will take you over a high mountain pass or into a area where the average elevation is 4k and higher, then they are really nice to have.
  6. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find them very useful. The KTM carbs are hard to get "perfect." The FlexJets help a great deal and give you a chance to try different idle settings without having to remove tanks to get to the the carbs to turn the idle screws. Also, I live at 850 ft. above sea level, but I try to go over to Colorado at least once a year. I found that I needed to turn the idle screws down just a quarter of a turn to get the idle just right. I also ride in temps up to 100 and down to 20. I find this bike does need minor idle mix adjustments at either extreme. Again, the KTM carbs are just very picky.

All in all, I find them very useful. But others comment are correct; if you get your carbs set and never leave the same elevation, you might not see the advantage.
  7. JTS1

JTS1 Dirt Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Thx for the input.
    I had a performance problem this summer in Colorado when I got about 3/4 way up a trail that took me to 11300ft. Almost couldn't get it started again. This of course is to be expected without a jet change from sea level but wondering if the flex adjusters would even have helped. Is that elevation going to be a high speed / low speed jet change or do the flex adjusters actually change the opening in a jet orifice? Lots of questions I know but if I could see what the end of the flex's look like that might answer my question. I guess I can answer all these questions by diving into my carbs but I haven't taken the bike apart much since I have only owned it for one summer.
  8. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    The FlexJets are just replacements for the IMS screws, so they adjust the gas/air mix at idle. I say "idle," but it adjusts the mix at lower RPMs. So would that help you at high altitudes getting the bike started? I would guess yes. When I go from 850 ft elevation to Golden, CO, I turn down my IMSs one quarter of a turn, and I'm good to go. That's very easy to do with the FlexJets but hours of work otherwise.

With fairly "normal" main jets in the bike, you will not need a jet change at any altitude change. See my thread on jetting of my bike: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625328 In particular, look at post #19.
  9. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    The tubes the FlexJets run through melted/disintegrated after about a year after install. Installed along with the H2W jetting and pre-filter kit.

I would suggest replacing the stock tubing with a thin-wall fuel line (the transparent kind) at the time of install to avoid having to do this later.

For me, after initial setup for my home elevation, they have been more peace of mind knowing that if I ever find myself in higher elevations I'll be able to adjust things to suit the situation.

As for utility, I've ridden from near sea level in Texas to the top of the Smokies (dirt and paved roads near the Cherahala Skyway, Dragon, BRP) and not felt any need to tweak things. I can see myself making a Colorado trip that could benefit from this adjust-ability.