CannonTracks - Great Divide Ride

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by Cannonshot, Sep 13, 2010.

1. jprhode

jprhode Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks amigo - dunno if you remember, but we met on the ride in 2010. We passed going opposite ways in the mud somewhere between Como and Hartsel, CO. If I remember correctly your GPS was possessed.
  2. jprhode

jprhode Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's quite a pretty section, and both of the campgrounds along the road are nice and not very busy. Lowlands in particular is noted for lots of wildlife in the area (non-bear type). Here's a screenshot of that section in case it helps.

[​IMG]

cheers
    Jason
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I already created it and got it 99% right but your screenshot helped me--I guessed that you took the Bluebird Trail out of Butte, but going up Orofino Gulch makes better sense. Here it is.

Attached Files:

mpenner likes this.
  4. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot - WOW your ride reports are indeed amazing! :clap

I've been planning a trip to Wyoming this summer, been trying to sort out possible routes etc. (you commented on a thread I started on that topic a while ago)

Reading this ride report has made up my mind. My wife and I will ride your track from up near the Tetons, south to Rawlins, perhaps down to near the Colorado boarder, then over to Laramie to see my son for a few days. Not much of the dirt stuff compared to the whole GDR, but its what our schedule will allow. Being able to relate your pictures to the map makes all the difference!

Thanks!
  5. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    anybody know the difference in route between this and cannonshots on gps exchange?
  6. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I never posted my tracks to gpsxchange. Must be some hocus-pocus going on. I only post my tracks in places where I can control them to ensure that only the current version is available on the web. Keeps people from getting bad info. I post them on ADV and on another site:
    http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19

Best to ignore what is posted on gpsexchange and use the most recent version posted on ADV or at the link above. It is revision 3 (R3)
  7. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Oops typo. I think those are countdowns. Ur names r took damn close. Haha. Thanks. Do you know how your vary from his?
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Mine are based on the American Cycling Association's Great Divide Ride. It is the principal path for this trip that has been used since it was first publicized in a magazine article years ago (except that there have been alterations to the route over time). My posted version also has some optional side trips that are proximate to the route and a ton of useful waypoints.

I think Jerry mentioned earlier in this thread that he pulled the waypoints from my file for his own use.
    I'm quite sure that Jerry will contact you to tell you all about his concept of a ride along the continental divide. After he put out some bad info in this thread, I asked him not post in it anymore. :D
  9. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW - I used Cannonshot's tracks to ride a portion of the CDR last month (Wyoming and into Northern Colorado as far as Steamboat Lake). They were spot on, and the other bits of info like campground locations etc. were handy.

I did supplement them by having the American Cycling Association's Great Divide Ride hard copy maps with me. They were handy to have, and would be a great back up in case the GPS failed (which, fortunately, mine did not.)
  10. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just use Cannonshot's as they are the best evarrr. Never got lost the entire ride. Do your homework too so you get familiar with where you are going.
  11. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just finished a run from west of Taos to the Wyoming border using Cannonshot's tracks. One soaking wet day on the southern end followed by three beautiful September days for the remainder of the trip. Time well spent. Thanks for the effort in assembling the route!
  12. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=post25128328 class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0> <TBODY> <TR vAlign=top> <TD id=td_post_25128328 class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid"> <TABLE id=post25128328 class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0> <TBODY> <TR vAlign=top> <TD id=td_post_25128328 class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid"> ATTENTION :: CONTINENTAL DIVIDE RIDERS

Pinedale , Wyoming is one of the few small towns that the CDT is right down main street. AS one rides into Pinedale from either direction , Union Pass or Big/Little Sandy opening, the route takes us down main street/191.
    Pinedale is the home of Bucky&#8217;s Outdoors shop, bikes, sleds, Klim, Giant Loop, Polaris, Boss, Toro, etc and lots more. General Manager , Gary Neely, is always ready to help riders out with parts, gear, info on eating/sleeping places and repairs if needed.
    Bucky&#8217;s Outdoors shop is only 2 easy blocks south of Main St, highway 191 and has lots of parking right in front of the shop.
    Should you feel you may need things like tires, oil, filters, etc , when you arrive in Pinedale, you can call Mr. Neely ahead of time to make sure your needs are there when you arrive .
    Phone number is 307-367-4561, Fax is :307-367-2465, street: 146 S. Lincoln, Pinedale.

Just wishing to share good info. GPS: 42.864663 -109.868518
    gale
    <!-- / message -->
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: #575757 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #575757 1px solid">[​IMG] [​IMG] </TD> <TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-TOP: #575757 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #575757 0px solid" align=right><!-- controls -->[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <!-- / message -->
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: #575757 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #575757 1px solid"></TD> <TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-TOP: #575757 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #575757 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #575757 0px solid" align=right><!-- controls -->[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks all! I'm glad the tracks proved helpful.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that info. When it becomes necessary to put out another update, I'll include that as one of the "dealer" waypoints. It sure is in a convenient spot. In the mean time, people can add it on their own as they plan their rides.

Just a reminder that it is important for riders to review any changes to the route as published by the ACA on their website no matter what version of tracks are available. They post updates on their site in between map updates (which are usually two years apart).

I hope more people get a chance to enjoy this very scenic and entertaining ride. What a gem!
  15. Ritalin Boy

Ritalin Boy Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer:
    Are these tracks still available?
  16. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like they are - see the link in the very first post? - takes you to the tracks. FWIW - I used them this past summer to ride from Moran Junction Wyoming down to Steamboat Lake . They were spot on for me. I plan to use them to ride from Banff down to Moran Junction this coming summer.
    True North likes this.
  17. Ritalin Boy

Ritalin Boy Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer:
    Tried it and got a 404.

Can you send me the file?
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Yes they are. The link is in the first post of this thread.

http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions once you get going on your planning. I'd be happy to help you out as I have many others.

Hope you have a great trip!
  19. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best fucking tracks in existence. There is now a Hapton Inn in Pinedale for at least some upscale lodging.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on the lodging.

And the endorsement about the tracks. :D

I hope more people get to enjoy this great ride. The GDR is very scenic and entertaining.