BLEEDING THE FRONT BRAKES 640 adv

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mike cramb, Nov 15, 2006.

1. mike cramb

mike cramb Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK I just fitted the KTM hard part new high front guard and now want to bleed my brakes I am having problems and there is nothing on the index.

I am about to try and use a syringe to fill the lines cause nothin else is workin.

MIKE:huh
  2. snaggleXR650

snaggleXR650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm FAR from an expert but...

I just use a small clear hose that fits tightly on the bleed nipple, 1/4"? or so available at Lowe's, Home Depot etc... Loop it over and secure both ends with a zip ty where they cross. As the loop is higher than both ends of the hose, and the bleed nipple, air can't get back in because air is less dense than the fluid and get's trapped in the loop. Crack the bleed valve and open the master cylinder. Pump the lever and KEEP THE MASTER CYLINDER FULL of fluid as the level will go down as you pump. Watch the hose and the air bubbles coming out. When you don't see anymore bubbles tighten the bleed valve, remove the hose and button up your master cylinder.

Wrong bike, but same principle, see page 9 here;

http://www.bajadesigns.com/2005%20Web%20Site/PDF%20Files/Manuals%20Leonelli/XR650R%20Classic.pdf
  3. mike cramb

mike cramb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Already done that tube etc but the brake fluids not movin stayin full even though im pumpin away.

Its given me the sh#$%$% and every time i spill abit got to wash it off or loose the pretty paint.:huh
  4. Muzungu

Muzungu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It seems to me that your master cyl. has an air bubble that you can't get moving.
    Try back bleeding.
    I used to use a small oil can/pump with the clear tubing. Filll the can/pump with 5.1 and pump the master cyl. full through the slave cyl. bleeder.
    Go very slowly and at times stop pumping the oil can/pump and "tickle" the master cyl. lever, you will see tiny air bubbles coming up past the clear plastic guard inside the master cylinder.
    Also make sure your handle bars are turned so that the master cyl. is at the highest position possible, usually turned fully to the left.
    Just go slow and don't get in a rush, it'll bleed.

Hope this helps
  5. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    :lurk

I have never had this problem. The only bit I can offer is to SLOWLY and EASILY squeeze the lever (rapid pumping will create small bubbles that are very difficult to bleed out!) to get the big bubbles to float up in the reservior or down thru the bleed screws. I have the one-way valves on my bleed screws (Dual Star parts) so it's a tad different in how I perform that bit. Sorry I don't have a full method for ya.
  6. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    I back bleed and tickle the lever.

Go to the local pharmacy and get two big syringes, and then the hardware for clear tubing. Fill one with fluid and connect to nipple via tubing. Open nipple and slowly push the fluid up the pathway. Have a buddy tickling the lever and removing fluid with the other syringe, as the level rises.

Have the bike on the side stand, with the handlebars turned to the left.

EDIT: Have your buddy occasionally push down the high loop of brake tubing ... make sure the MC is the high point.

Should work.
  7. nyc_gs

nyc_gs Lurker

Oddometer:
    Sounds silly, but are you sure your are loosening the bleeder valve enough?

When I did my brakes about a month ago it was the first time I had ever done this. I discovered at first that I was not loosening that nut enough. Made life much easier once I did. And this is on my 640 adv.

I suggest also reading this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161264

And I also suggest getting a mity vac. Best $40 I have spent in a long time. Made the process of bleeding my brakes a no-brainer.

-- Jason
  8. mike cramb

mike cramb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys a few mates over here use a syringe and back bleed until they get enough pressure. I am flying out to work in a couple of hours so it will have to wait untill I get back in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the help.

MIKE:D
  9. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll second that motion.:D
  10. Castleman

Castleman Guest

1. adjust the fluid level to just above the bottom hole.

2. stand on the left side of the bike and squat down. Grab the front tire with your left hand. Take your right hand and push the brake caliper in with a firm, hard and steady pressure.

This is going to push the caliper piston back into its bore, purging the air bubble out of the line and into the master cylinder.

3. Now fill the master cylinder to within 1mm of the top.

4. pump the lever until the brake pads are fully seated on the disc.

5. Notice the fluid level is low again. Top off the brake fluid and install the cover.

You should now have a firm lever and good brake action.
  11. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    okay, my turn to try this..

:scratch