A ride along the old telegraph line to the border

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by "A", Sep 1, 2011.

1. "A"

"A" numbum

Oddometer:
    Gidday fellas,
    Mark, Fred has the GPS info, I should be able to get it. Sundowner, Ive managed to skim over the seawead traps so not sure of their depth but judging by what's on the surface I'd imagine anywhere from 6 inches to several feet in the old medieval metric language. Den, thanks for the GPX. The twins were early eighties vintage- 1983 R80ST,the other is a 100CS engine in a modded R65 frame with all sorts of other mods built in 1985 for the "Wynns Safari" that year.
    Wolfgang, we carried enough fuel for a range of a bit over 400 km plus extra for safety. The DR ~35 L, others a bit less than 30. No permits or tolls etc required. I think you would have your work cut out with a Ural, but with knobs and the right attitude anything is possible!
    [​IMG]
  2. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    :clap

love it!

(had a poke around the edges of that area a couple of years back... deffinately on the list of places to go back to and do properly...)

:clap

3. dickosaurus

dickosaurus Geezer Coalition Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report 'A'- it's an interesting story and well written. Good pictures too. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
  4. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi. How do you find that Zeus helmet? Im in the market for a new one and have been thinking about them. Are they noisy on the road? Great trip to by the way! Im a Barker boy just getting into trailbike riding, so this trip is on my to do list! have you guys checked out Lindsay national park area before?

Thanks!
  5. "A"

"A" numbum

Oddometer:
    Pretty happy with the Zeus helmet. Weight is low enough and and I don't find the noise offensive on the road. I do use ear plugs then however.
    I havn't really done much riding in the Mt. Lindsay area. I think you will enjoy trail riding, lots of opportunities around here.
  6. enumclaw

enumclaw I just....don't know

Oddometer:
    Great story and pictures to go along. These words could not be more true:

"There have been times in the past when I haven’t stopped for photos and later regretted it because those opportunities didn’t appear again. Motorcycling and photography have an uneasy relationship as they seem mutually exclusive when the imperative for me is inevitably to make time."
  7. "A"

"A" numbum

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the positve feedback everybody:D
  8. jimkat

jimkat jim

Oddometer:
    Another great report "A"
    I'd be intersested to know how the TT350 went on the trip?
    Fuel wise and reliability?
    I have one that I would like to use for some longer rides.
    regards.
  9. "A"

"A" numbum

Oddometer:
    My TT350 is a 1994 model. It had only 5000K on the clock at the start of the trip. It sucked the fuel a bit at 100kph (std gearing) getting worse economy than Freds TE610 fuel injected Husky.That gets 20 plus kpl at those speeds. When the speed got slower in the 4wd tracks the TT equalled or bettered the others. Iv'e since bought some higher gearing (48 rear and a 14 and 15 tooth front ) to experiment with for this sort of riding.
    It did develop an oil leak when the right side engine cover gasket sucked in a little just in front of the decompression lever. Looked like an assembly issue from the factory 16 years ago! That's all so I reckon its a reliable machine.
    Cheers
    A
  10. kano650

kano650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="A";16860932]My TT350 is a 1994 model. It had only 5000K on the clock at the start of the trip. It sucked the fuel a bit at 100kph (std gearing) getting worse economy than Freds TE610 fuel injected Husky.That gets 20 plus kpl at those speeds. When the speed got slower in the 4wd tracks the TT equalled or bettered the others. Iv'e since bought some higher gearing (48 rear and a 14 and 15 tooth front ) to experiment with for this sort of riding.
    It did develop an oil leak when the right side engine cover gasket sucked in a little just in front of the decompression lever. Looked like an assembly issue from the factory 16 years ago! That's all so I reckon its a reliable machine.
    Cheers
    A[/QUOTE]

Great report mate. Gonna have to put this one on the Must Do list. Why did you choose the little TT when you had the X in the stable?
  11. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!