Insurance adjuster and my 2007 950SE

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by j3p, Aug 30, 2013.

1. j3p

j3p WI2FL2NC

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine was working his way back to Charlotte NC with my bike after a ride we did end of June through CO, ID, UT, WY, MT up in to Alberta. Infortunately while coming through a small town in Kentucky a young man didn't see him at a intersection and hit him in the rear of the bike. After we sorted out all the medical treatments, surgeries and medical insurance issues we are left with dealing with the bike.

The driver of the cars insurance adjuster is going to look at the bike on Wednesday and make their decision on what to do with it. The driver of the car was at fault and his insurance company is taking full responsibility to cover the medical and property costs.

I have done a reasonable assement myself and come up with about 4K to put it back together. Because KTM doesn't make this model any more does that work against me or for me.

Open for any input.
  2. gozirra

gozirra Spam?

Oddometer:
    Having just lost one of my bike to a crash (ducati vs curb, not me), I found that much like cars it is the value percentage of the vehicle that needs to be repaired, over a certain amount and bam salvage and pay it off. With bikes that limit is MUCH lower than in a car/truck/van. So much so that for my inspection the guy basically said if the fairing was damaged it was totalled.

I think a repair is a great place to shoot for, salvage and buy it back and fix it second option.

Part it out last.
  3. j3p

j3p WI2FL2NC

Oddometer:

If he totals it the plan is definetly to see if I can buy it back. Have had it since new and have enjoyed over 30k of roads and trails.
  4. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd wave good bye and tell him you want a broker to obtain you a new bike..

The FMV of a SE is pretty high, but it will end up branded if they total it and if something else happens they get to shaft you on the value for the branded title and if totalled they don't have to pay lost value..

I hate insurance..

Dave
  5. leesbian

leesbian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be interested to hear how the adjuster values your bike - mine was stolen last week, so I'm about to go through all that with the insurance company

Having been into my local dealer, they tell me that so few were made that it doesn't appear in the CAP (or any other) price guide books - which is what insurance companies tend to get their valuations from
  6. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Insurance law varies from state to state. It sounds like you have multiple states here -- the place you bought your policy and the place of the accident, where presumably the other driver's policy is from. Some states sell policies that obligate the insurance company to pay for the vehicle, repair the vehicle, or REPLACE the vehicle. If the adjuster wants to total the bike, you might get some leverage by telling them that you can't find another one, so you want them to find a replacement. Your policy might come into play in this as well if you have a "replace" option in your policy. If you want the bike fixed, put all the pressure you can on them.

Of course, if you do get them to give you more money to repair it by doing the above, you still don't know what you have until you dig into it. I would bet you need everything behind the main part of the frame. It could be that the frame is trash as well, which leaves you with not much to work with, and a lot of work ahead to bring it back to life.
  7. SE Steve

SE Steve Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Earlier this year I wrecked my Harley XR 1200 single vehicle accident. . I think it booked for 10,500.00 they would pay up to 8,000 to repair. Adjuster tried hard to get it repaired. I kept finding stuff that the Harley dealer didn't find like engine mount broken off. I was going to buy it back but they wanted $1500.00 it wasn't worth it.
    Purchased in TX ,insured bike in TX, crashed in TX, I brought it back to CA and settled the claim in CA.
  8. KTMSER

KTMSER Big bike friendly

Oddometer:

So whatever happened here?
  9. brakedw

brakedw Adventurer

Oddometer: