2014 1190 Adventure Airbox

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by 2wdrift, May 5, 2014.

1. Daz the Aussie

Daz the Aussie Hey, don't blame me, it's just who I am!

Oddometer:
    I have recently test ridden a 2014 1190 and was making moves to buy one but have decided to hold off at the moment to see what KTM USA does for the owners. As to the quote above, this is exactly what I was "advised" to do by my local dealer when I brought up the airbox issue with them today with the proviso that I "didn't hear it from them". That's pretty wacked out advice for a potential new purchaser!
    I'd say, make a noise guys, definitely post on the Facebook 1190 problems page, call the hotline and email the company. KTM don't sell enough of these bikes here yet that they can afford the bad publicity.
  2. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am a 990 guy with no 1190 experience. But I have been following this thread with interest. For those of you that don't know the 990, it comes stock with an airbox and paper filter that appears to be very similar to the one on the 1190--I could be wrong on this.

Like the 1190, the 990 was/is marketed as a combo/dual sport bike. Marketing is one thing. Actual buyer usage us another. I know some guys ride the 990 and 1190's in some seriously dusty conditions. I am one of those guys. That does't seem unreasonable to me given the nature of these bikes and the marketing, blah, blah. But I am also a long time dirt biker going back many, many years.

I have to ask myself who does KTM really expect to buy these bikes. And will they be serious/extreme dirt bike riders or mostly street bike riders. I am not making any judgement on what is the "right" use of these adventure bikes. If we like the bikes, great!

Here is my point. Most street riders (overly broad generalization) are not going to accept a bike that requires cleaning and oiling of a real dirt bike foam filter after every couple of rides. I am no expert on this. But I suspect that a real foam filter setup might be hard to get past the eco emission rules which are a fact of life these days with OEM cars and bikes.

So....Should we just give KTM a pass? No. They sold the bikes as "real" off road capable. My guess is that the lawyers will have a field day arguing over what is an "extreme" (very dusty) use of the bike, which is outside the "normal" service schedule/requirements.

In the end, I would install a foam filter if I was really going to ride some serious dirt. I would use some grease to the filter sealing areas to prevent leakage. And I would ride the hell out of it--just like a real dirt bike.

FWIW
  3. chadscamaro

chadscamaro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update- engine torn down will need Pistons,rings,valves,etc. basically I was in shock and didn't hear the rest!! Waiting to hear what ktm tells dealer. If they rebuild I want extra warranty for sure but will prob pull for new engine. Nightmare continues and sounds like ktm IS shaking their head at the UNi filter that may actually void your warranty as stated by people before.
  4. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
  5. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Drop in the cams from the RC8R and Ti valves and let us know.
  6. DigDeep

DigDeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I opened up my air box an noticed a small amount of dust inside my airbox. (Only 90 miles on it)
    Until I can get a Unifilter I was thinking of putting some waterproof grease on the sealing surface of the paper air filter and seal the lid with silicone until the new filter shows up.
    Has anyone else done this?

I'm a little bit concerned that the foam on the sealing surface of the paper filter could possibly be damaged or degraded from petroleum based grease.

Although I would think that the foam material would have to be fuel resistant, the carbs are right there and spit back fuel every once in a while and I would think the foam would be able to handle that.
  7. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    For US 1190 Adventure customers, it may be possible to exert additional pressure on KTM by filing a complaint with DOT. I've never done this before and don't know if this is the right place to go, but a Google search led me to:

File a complaint at DOT

(Good news: I've gotten pretty fast at removing the tank. Bad news: I've gotten pretty fast at removing the tank. :eek1 Glad I installed quick disconnects on that pesky cross-over fuel line. :D)
  8. TDsurf

TDsurf Orange Flyer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking Class action. KTM is well aware of this issue. They fixed the problem and didn't check to make sure it was fixed. They need to address this problem now before they f up any more engines. Dirt in the combustion chamber can only cause problems no matter how little. If it doesn't f the engine totally it will certainly shorten the life.
    If this was Ford, or Chevrolet heads would roll.
  9. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    And the strongest but most difficult team pressure would be to stop buying 1190s...is that possible?
  10. bikerider007

bikerider007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. MxFan69

MxFan69 Im so happy

Oddometer:
    Questions that I haven't seen answered yet, does the UNI filter set up have to be oiled and maintained like a dirt bike filter? And does the UNI filter mess with the performance or God forbid the FI Mapping?

Statement, as a long time KTM dirt bike owner, THEY SUCK at making things right, and as much as I HATE getting Big Brother .gov involved, with KTM USA it seems the only means to an end. We (KTMTalk.com) had to get NHTSA involved to get KTM to "fix" their 1/4 turn leaking gas cap. For over a year, it was dealers handing out X Rings to fit the cap and stop the leak. Then it was a new locking gas cap, and now four model changes later ('06 leaking to '14 hard to remove) they still have a piece of shit 1/4 turn cap that is a mutha farker to get off, but by God it doesnt leak anymore.

My point, dont hold your breath on it getting fixed anytime soon (including 2015 or 2016's), buy the UNI filters and enjoy your bike. Those with dust already, keep pushing your dumb-ass dealers to do the right thing, as from my experience they will NOT without a swift kick in the buttock. I've had some pretty pissed off, near hollaring, conversations with some of them. Pressure, pressure, pressure, seems the only cure.
  12. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    The filter needs to be cleaned and oiled like a dirt bike filter ( it's a foam filter ) no it does not effect the performance of the bike. Well not as far as I can tell as my bike still runs perfect with a slip on and a uni. I do think something " bad " needs to happen for Ktm to give a crap
  13. craigo298er

craigo298er Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had that on my '10 450XC-W Champs Edition...I spent a good part of a half hour opening and closing it, hoping the plastic would wear a bit and make it easier...nope
  14. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Been here a little too long

Oddometer:
    You would think when they start replacing motors because of dirt in the intakes, that might get their attention..
  15. 2wdrift

2wdrift Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On saturday I went to pick up my bike from Ultimate performance, they adjusted the valves and fitted a DNA filter and sent me on my way. I will look to other dealerships for help.

Not impressed and I wont be buying another KTM, if KTM gives me a new motor I might but not otherwise.
  16. 2wdrift

2wdrift Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do you guys think I should do?

I feel like running it until the motor is completely fuct and then requesting a new motor. But this plan has two flaws, seizing at the worst possible moment or running until the day the warranty expires and then doing the above...
  17. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Buying a bike with a known defective part ( well not by Ktm) and sucking crap into your motor. I would want a new lump.
  18. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    For you guys that have fitted the Uni, do I need anything besides what's in the KTM toolkit? I'm flying up to NC in a couple weeks to bring my R home to Florida. I dropped the Uni off my last trip through but won't be able to carry a lot of extra tools on my flight up. Basically wearing my gear and carrying a tailbag, I left my helmut in NC before I came back to FL the first time.
  19. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Torx and Allen keys and a bit of time. A set of pliers for the clips on the fuel crossover line.
  20. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I didn't get a chance to look the OEM toolkit over before I left the bike.