With the Triumph 800xc out would you still buy an F800gs?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by veloce, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    The husky is a supermoto not dualsport. Its the NUDA

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/827/1...sqvarna-Nuda-900R-Street-Bike-First-Look.aspx

"An inverted Sachs fork improves on the F800R’s non-adjustable conventional sticks, one of our biggest complaints for that model. The rear shock the high-spec fully-adjustable treatment via Ohlins."
  2. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I'm not interested in the street bike, enduro model coming in November.

Cheers

Riley

3. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    :huh :???
  4. Motoriley

Oddometer:
  5. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Umm... The article I posted is from July. The super moto is the one they are releasing. No clue if a true adventure bike is in the works.
  6. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Apparently more models are in the pipeline.

7. smm

smm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While I haven't ridden it, I think that the Tiger is going to be a pretty comparable to the GS. But the headlights always make me think about the gorilla scene at the end of "Trading Places." I'll stick with bill the cat.
  8. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    If they can keep the weight down below the F800GS without creating weakness this might be my next ride (after the first couple of years so the bugs are worked out). Can't wait to see what they come up with. Could be the F800GS-ADV model some have whispered about.

:evil
  9. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
    The F800GS is an awesome bike and all owners should be satisfied with it without dreaming about the Tiger. Just don't ride a Tiger if you already have a F800GS!!
  10. mattsl

mattsl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Uh, read the title of the thread, it asked for an opinion. He gave it and pretty sure he gave the f800 props.
  11. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Dude to funny that's the response i was hoping for:clap. I'm got a full 200 miles with no dirt lol. So you got me beat!! I do have 26,000 on my BMW Xcountry!! Would love to ride with you if your fun to ride with but from your reply you seem high strung? Nice picks those are awesome!! Where up the road?
  12. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Bud the F800GS is a sweet bike. I dreamed about it for 3 years riding BMW G650 Xcountry waiting for that awesome day when it was time to upgrade. But... That inline triple is soooo sweet and smooooth. The F800GS is clearly the better enduro if that's the comparison but if its which one is a better adventure touring machine (ie 1150GS, 1200GS)? Well then then the F800GS has some very serious competition. If your going to go thrashing around some trails for the day well the F800GS is your bike but for some multi-day multi-week trips better bring the anti-monkey butt cream because you posterior is going to need it!! Like i said though if i had a F800GS i'de be a happy camper. I did take the Tiger on test ride and that engines purrr it'll have to admit suduced me away from my dream bike. Now i'm in love with a white tiger and i don't care who knows it:freaky,
  13. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:

If you mean north of LA you'll need to ride down here i avoid that cess pool like the plague!! We need to wait until my accessories with bike protection comes and i'm finished with the break in. But yes we can ride out in Anza Borrego for an over nighter with some friends? Maybe we can round up a few more SOCAL riders:1drink
  14. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    Funny ... I test rode the Tiger XC and now I'm happier with my F800GS than I was before. :D
  15. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Sorry you got your feelings hurt.or was it your bikes feelings?:lol3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv8HpOn61Hw&feature=related
  16. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    September issue of British magazine "Bike" does a comparison after a three day ride off and on-road. You might expect the Brits to be biased towards the Triumph but they went for the F800GS. The 800XC is, according to them, a better road bike than the F800GS but all of the test riders preferred the 800GS off-road and as an all rounder.
  17. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a synopsis from the Bike test that I plagiarized from another post:
    "The general consensus was that the GS was better off-road, but that the Tiger had a peach of an engine. Bike Dyno'd both bikes, and the results are quite surprising. The Tiger makes 3bhp more than the GS, but only makes those extra ponies above 8500rpm. At every other point in the rev range the GS is ahead, often way head. At 5500 revs the Tiger makes 50bhp, the GS makes 60bhp. All the tests and reports comment on the Tigers creamy torque, however at no point in the rev range does the Tiger even get close to the GS. The GS makes 55 lb.ft against 49 lb.ft.

Side by side roll on shows both bikes equal at 30mph in third, and again equal from 40mph in both third gear and top gear. Anything above 60mph in top, and the GS has the edge. Obviously the twin isn't as refined as the triple, which feels happier above 90mph. Over 90 miles of motorway riding at 90mph the GS did 66mpg, whereas the Tiger did 51mpg (29% more fuel used".

Which bike you prefer, obviously depends how much pavement you pound. Lets not get caught up in semantics and trying to define an adventure bike into some niche that mirrors where you ride.

The short comings of the BMW have been expressed early and often, by some of us who believed the bikes could go anywhere, like they were advertised. I expect to see something similar from the Triumph buyers when they attempt to do the same.
  18. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    Cycle Canada did a head to head with the two this past month...

In a nut shell the article said that if you plan on off roading, the BMW is more comfortable and feels way more controlled in the dirt.

http://www.cyclecanadaweb.com/articles/12179/
  19. casperghst42

casperghst42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't have an F800GS (got a R12ADV which will be traded in for an F800GS shortly), but I used to have a Triumph (ST1050), and one thing which puts me off Triumph is the prices for service - BMW's might be expensive to buy, but cheap to service and run. On the other hand I miss the engine, awesome power deliver.

Casper
  20. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Since both bikes are 800's everyone i comparing them but they are actually going after different niches. The Triumph is best thought of as a smaller adventure touring 1150GS or 1200 GS. An adventure touring machine while the BMW is best thought of a larger BMW Xchallenge also a adventure touring but one foot in the enduro camp. Better on the single track while the triumph excells on the dirt roads and pavement. The F800GS is better for those guys that want a weekend thrasher and the triumph is better for longer trips. Your not going to use the 1150GS as a weekend thrasher and you won't use the Triumph for that either. Of course folks can and due use the BMW for long adventure trips. Its going to do great because its a good bike but after several days you'd probably more appreciate the Tiger. Of course you could use the Tiger on single track but thats not what it was made for and why tear up such a pretty machine?

It says something about both bikes when on rag says the Tiger is a better bike while another picks the F800GS as a better bike. Generalities are not always good thought tools to use but to understand each niche think of the Tiger as a light more nimble 1200GS. The BMW F800GS is not a smaller 1200GS you know this to be true. Its something else its got more enduro DNA than the other GS's.

Now lets see if the lost sticker guy spazes out again :(