F800GS Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by johngil, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I replaced my rear pads a while back and figured the front would be due soon as well, so I ordered some in. I was surprised when they arrived and are the same thickness as my original pads at 50k kms. I never did bother to put them on the bike yet.
  2. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't switched mine either and the dealer is 60 miles away, so it will be awhile.
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I have a set of the Galffer green pads on the shelf ... awaiting installation.
    I do not know what the new thickness is for the OEM pads, but the pad thickness on the Galffers (NOT counting the backing plate) is:

Rear: ~0.23"

Front: ~0.17"

I have no idea why the fronts are thinner, but they are indeed noticably thinner just by looking at them.
  4. rokboat

rokboat All those who are lost do not wander

Oddometer:
    Hey there, does anyone know what the thickness of the OEM new rear pad should be. I just got a set from local dealer and they appear to be too thick and having trouble getting them to fit and no room for rotor. They may have sent the wrong set but figured I would check first. Thanks in advance. PS these are for the F800GS
  5. AdvWolf

AdvWolf Wolfhaven Tree Farm

Oddometer:
    I know the first year bike has different front pads but rear should be the same. make sure the calipers are compress all the way but there should be pleanty of play in between the two. owners booket show the recommendations on brake specs.
  6. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Just read in the manual that the BMW-OEM new pad thickness is spec-ed @ 5.0mm or ~0.20" front and rear at least on F658GS twin.
  7. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I still love the Galfer green pads up front.
    I have tried the gold and black on the rear and can't say I love either set.
  8. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Jonh:
    Did you try the green in the back?
  9. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    No. Can't really say why not. The bike is about due for pads. I'll give them a try.
  10. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    bejeezus ya'll go through pads. I've got 15,002 miles on the stock pads. Plan to put galfer greens on front and black on back.... I rarely use the back that often except in the wet so not worred about the blk's
  11. Dansrc51

Dansrc51 I need a cape....

Oddometer:
    for those of you who have replaced the pads, the dealer is telling me I'm due to change the rear. I'll confirm once I get the bike back (fixing side stand switch under warranty).

My question regards the replacement, the dealer tells me I have to replace both the pads and a mounting bracket. Not sure exactly what they mean, but it's an extra $30 I think he said. Anybody have any experience or know what this is in reference to? I'm at work so I don't have my manual, but I've never had this on any other bike before.... sounds funny to me.
  12. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    There is a "mounting parts kit" that lists for $18.

See http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51598&rnd=03252011
    it's part #8 on the rear brake diagram...

If you've seen lots of mud / water / corrosion it might not be a bad idea to swap that stuff out ....
    I can only guess that the $30 quoted is the combination of $18 for the parts and a few extra bucks worth of labor .... ???
  13. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took my bike for a PA state inspection and the owner said the front brake pads would just barely pass inspection and I would need new ones before long. I thought this seemed odd because they hadn't been on near as long as the first set........ I figured the Galpher green just wore out really fast so I ordered 2 sets of EBC..... Tonight i took the Galphers off and they were almost the same thickness as the EBC ones I was getting ready to put on...I was WTF is going on. I don't have a tool to give an accurate measurement, but my guess is the replacement pads are coming in almost wore out according to state inspection specs...... anyone else run into this?
  14. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    Methinks PA has a brake pad spec that is being inappropriately applied to your motorcycle. I suspect the guy just doesnt know that cars and motorcycles are different. Those slots in the stock pads actually double as wear indicators. Those stock pads are barely worn!
  15. Hayate

Hayate ADV Monkey

Oddometer:
    Wow, what dicks! I'm so done with taking service guys recommendations! Your OEM pads are fine, mine are at 42k miles original (front). They are just now getting down to maybe half what you have there in the picture. I'm going to replace my fronts soon but I'm just saying I wouldn't ever gauge brake replacement by mileage, it's about the amount of material you have left. (3rd set of rear pads btw) Mileage front verses rear is going to depend totally on your riding style and conditions. My guess is I burn through all those rears and am gentle on the front due to the way my passenger has trained me. We're pretty heavily loaded a lot of the miles we do and that nosedive ya get on this bike with a handful of front brake doesn't make her the happiest. Light and agile and out on my own I barely use the rear so I know there's a lot variety.

I agree with JRWooden, that's probably what they are talking about, but seriously? More dicks charging you for crap you don't need. Inspect that little rod and the pin when you replace your pads, if they tell you it's required to replace them each time they are just ripping you off.
  16. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    Going with Black and Black.... wear - I don't care.... rotors = expensive.
    I am just an old guy putting around :lol3

[​IMG]
  17. allroadrider

allroadrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a problem ordered a set of EBC pads for the rear as the 10 F800GS pads were well past their sell by date almost metal to metal went to change them this evening and I could not get to fit they were to thick I have the caliper piston bottomed out and they just won't slide in this should be a no brainier. Anybody had any issues with EBC pads this is on the rear
  18. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    are they the right part number ? amazon sent me the wrong pads once.

also i had a set that the tab was bent on, it was tight and dragging so i pulled the pad and sho'nuff. they were new but i didn't notice it installing them :dunno .
    considering how they're packaged and shipped in an envelope its not really surprising.
    [​IMG]
  19. allroadrider

allroadrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well went out this morning with a fresh outlook and the EBC pads went in fine man they are a lot thicker than the ones I took our which were almost to the
    metal
    ARR
    __YANNICK__ likes this.