headlight problem(

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by skandero, Aug 24, 2013.

1. skandero

skandero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there!
    I've got another problem on my ADV950: headlight is almost dead.
    So, the situation is:
    1) when I turn the key, both high/low beams are dead. No reaction on button.
    2) when I press and hold the bypass light button, the high beam is activated as usual. Low beam is dead.
    3) When I switch the main light button to "high beam" position, both high and low beam lights are activaded!

Shit. The fuse is good, tried to replace - no reaction. The wiring loom looks completely undamaged. Where should I search the problem. Looks like it's not a short circuit... Relay unit?
    I have not enough equipment now, so, I'll be glad to get ideas for diagnostics of Tuesday.
  2. 6732cash

6732cash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your not mistaking the low beam for the parking light.....in which case it could just be the dip beam bulb is blown
  3. skandero

Oddometer:
    No, the head lights are dead.
  4. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Possible you have a broken filament inside the bulb and it's shorting the hi/lo together. My next step would be to test the feed with a test light at the bulb connector.
  5. skandero

Oddometer:
    But how can it be possible? The hi/low bulbs are separated and there is one thread in each bulb... And both bulbs are working, when the bypass trigger and hi beam switch are activated togeter...:eek1

Solution is:
    Dirt in the off/parking/drive light switch. Driving light position was corroded and covered with dust after last offroad ride. Simple solution.
  6. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Missed that you aren't in the US. Our headlight is different and uses a dual filament H4 single bulb.

Glad you got it sorted out.