2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    I have an F800GS too-done the front/rear suspension and then some-sounds like we are both looking at this bike for the same reason.
  2. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    I like it, but still can't understand why the thing is heavier than my 1990 Dr650 by more than 50lbs?
  3. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    If you want a sub 400 lbs thumper dual sport bike then...it is here KTM 690
  4. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A KTM 690E is fine as a dual sport, but it is not a ADV bike stock. It takes another $3k to get there with today's KTM aftermarket. Search other threads - its all there. But the total cost is way out of my price range. KTM blew it - a 690 motor in the old 640 ADV frame and they were done. But they just couldn't resist moving it toward the Enduro race bike end of the spectrum. That is, after all, what KTM does.

A DR-650 is air/oil cooled and is minimalist (1996) technology. Dead reliable; nothing fancy.

The new bikes are water cooled, with stronger alternators, FI which requires larger batteries, wiring and computer(s), and some have larger (for a passenger) subframes, etc. It all adds up to a 25-50 lbs. increase from a DR650.

The next question is where that weight is carried: higher or lower. Lower is always better, but each design has its limits. I'll wait for the first reviews before I get excited. So far, this is too close to a Serao/Dakar and too far from a TE630 for me, but I'm willing to be convinced. For me, a 6-speed (wide ratio) transmission is mandatory on a bike this heavy. I hope the specs are right or it is dead on arrival for me.

I think a 400 lbs. multi ADV bike is a dream, but a great design target. I'd settle for a 465 lbs. wet XT900Z, but am not holding my breath - hence my interest here.
  5. modeselector

Oddometer:
    The 690 is a great bike - but also over $10 grand.
  6. netteb16

netteb16 hangersoutters

Oddometer:
    Is it similar to the Sertao in that one side is the muffler, and the other side is the cat?
  7. netteb16

netteb16 hangersoutters

Oddometer:
  8. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
  9. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read the specs -- says 6-speed.
  10. netteb16

netteb16 hangersoutters

Oddometer:
    Is it though? I agree that it isn't your typical Husky, but aside from the motor, what is the same as the Sertao? Different forks, tank, tranny...
  11. Humph

Humph n00b

Oddometer:
    While the International edition of Husky's web page says 6 speed, the Oz, UK, French and Italian sites say 5 speed. Given that the Rotax has had 5 speed since time began, I don't think they would retool just for Husky (I would love to be proven wrong, though)
  12. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    They changed the x450 engine from 5 speed to 6 when they stuffed it in the TE449.
  13. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    frame?
  14. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Just checked Kawasakis web site, MSRP for 2013 KLRs is $6,499. Husky purists will hold their nose but, this bike could take a big chunk out of KLR sales. If it proves reliable, the only advantage the KLR has is 6.1 gallon tank & a dealer within 30 miles of anyones house. The KLR is also $500 cheaper but, farkle costs make that a non-issue. The 650 Terra is probably suspended at least equal to a KLR with a Ricor suspension upgrade.

When My KLR wears out in another 80,000 miles :cry a 650 Terra may very well end up being my first Husky. :clap
  15. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My read on the suspension is that the forks are not adjustable, and the rear is rebound adjustable only. That may help explain some of the price.
  16. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    I've hit reserve at 240 riding two up but, solo I usually go anywhere from 270 - 290 before reserve & I've never ran a tank completely dry, having once gotten 306 before a fill up. The KLR is deffinatly a top heavy pig though. :lol3
  17. modeselector

Oddometer:
    Looks like they might of improved the far leaning side stand from the video - that would be welcomed.
  18. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:

Really?? I missed that... I've been waiting for that one! This engine has been around forever and has been reliable. Aprilia Pegaso and the BMW copycat till today. The biggest thing missing in this engine was a 6th speed!
  19. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:

And the KTM is also extremely unreliable and often can only be fixed by just a few guys on the planet!

The rotax is super reliable-having 10% more hp is really exciting and I hope doesn't change the reliability.

The old Xchallenge with a 6th speed, 10% more power, 400 watts of electrical output and Ohlins shock... I wonder if the engine would be a direct swap...
  20. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    Whatchya guys talking 'bout? I just read 4 of the links posted here and they all say 5 speed... got me excited for nothing!