Trail up to Hurricane Basin and old mining buildings

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by indypup, Oct 28, 2012.

1. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Another video from my Colorado trip...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/raPC4SbTnrc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hurricane Basin
    Hinsdale County, Colorado

Trail Type: Out and Back
    Nearby Towns: Silverton, Ouray, Lake City
    Nearby Trails: Mineral Creek, Cinnamon Pass, Engineer Pass
    Trail Length: 3 miles
    Elevation: 11,159 to 12,668 feet
    This trail packs a lot of scenery and rocky fun into three short miles. Even though it's in the middle of all of the popular San Juan Mountain trails, it sees little traffic. This trail is highly recommended if you enjoy old mining buildings and high mountain views.

It starts off of the Engineer Pass trail near the ghost town of Animas Forks. There is camping near the trailhead, and the trailhead is not marked. You can find it by following two different trails continuing down into the valley next to the Engineer Pass trail, crossing through Henson Creek, follow the trail up and into Schafer Gulch.

The trail immediately begins climbing over loose rocks along a shelf road. Continue up into the gulch with Gravel Mountain on your left and Seigal Mountain on your right marking the Continental Divide.

The trail is fairly easy once you pass the rocky section, and it isn't long before you come to an intersection. If you make a sharp left turn here you can take a brief spur up to a restored lodge. The lodge is huge and in good shape, but keep in mind that the situation could change at any minute. Enter the building at your own risk.

Next to the lodge is an old mill that has not been restored. If you carefully find a way into the building you can spot much of the old equipment that was used. Exploration is difficult and dangerous in this building.

Continue back to the main trail and keep heading up Hurricane Basin. You can spot many old mines here, though all shafts have been closed or caved in. Follow the trail over more loose rocks to the very top in order to fully enjoy the view of the basin below you. It provides a good view of the buildings and mines.
  2. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    Very nice video.:clap
  3. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Very cool video! :clap I love exploring a lot of the dead end routes in the San Juans!!
  4. Wentjo

Wentjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Video! When was that taken?
  5. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Wonderful scenery out there. This was taken on July 30, 2012.
  6. Wentjo

Wentjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's one of my favorite areas.
  7. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Misrepresented

Oddometer:
    Nice views. . . I miss summer already!
  8. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Nice vid. Glad you had a good trip out.

Granted, I've only tried these on borrowed bikes, but so far my impression is all they do is make up for a lack of properly gripping the bike with your knees. Otherwise just get in the way IMO.
  9. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Sorry but..:nah
  10. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Only one response?

I thought it sounded plausible.
  11. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope.
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Everyone's dampening preferences seem to be a little different. I found a dampner really tames the deflections when the bike's steering head angle is setup for woods (read steep) esp at speed.
  13. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    I was primarily trolling that those comments, but can't say I've had issues with deflections unless I straight punch a tree (which I do surprisingly often).. that said I also weight 250# and run at least 30" bars so I still have decent leverage even with my forks set steep.

Truth is it's like a Recluse. I'm afraid to give it an honest try because I might like it and have to add another outrageously expensive item to the "must have" accessory list... and really, how am I supposed to throw all those nak-nak-360-superman-backflip-nohanders with damping in the way?
  14. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Misrepresented

Oddometer:
    Dude (thump), you have limbs like a tree, no wonder it hasn't bothered you!

I've been considering one for the 950, but the 450 seems to be solid without one - granted, I bet if I rode with one (and I haven't), I'd want to spend the money:deal