Buying tires tomorrow

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by OldHippy, Apr 26, 2013.

1. OldHippy

OldHippy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this has been talked to death but between the Shinko, Metzler and Anakee 3 what would you guys go with?

Thanks
  2. otbmf

otbmf otbmf

Oddometer:
    yep, beat to death each one is right - I've got Shinkos right now, and have had them since my personal economy changed a few years back - I get solid mileage out of them (keep them overinflated by a few pounds) and have learned to trust them, guardingly, in the curve

hoping to try either Heidi's or a set of Conti Attacks next...
  3. cardoctor1

cardoctor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just had a set of anakee3 installed last week.. not sure how they'll handle but the tread design looks interesting.
  4. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean this is the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    Search is good.

Search is God
  5. OldHippy

OldHippy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I've been reading some interesting threads. I love the look of the Shinko E705's and seems like some folks are happy with them. I guess I'm trying to talk myself in to them. Price is right.

Mike
  6. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Fullbore M-40 rear (basically a rebranded Shinko 705 radial). It has held up great. I have about 4,000 miles on it and expect it to get somewhere around 6,000-6,500 before it gets too unsafe for my liking. Based on the numbers, the Tourance still beats out the Shinko. This is based on the mileage I project for mine and what others have said they got (for both the Shinko and Tourance). The Tourance is almost twice the price, but gets twice as many miles as the Shinko. I really like mine, but will probably go with a Tourance next time as most of my riding is blacktop. I have not had any scary corners with the Shinkos and I ride year round, rain or shine. I just tend to slow things down a bit in the rain.
  7. Ua the Destroyer

Ua the Destroyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another shinko fan. I got around 6k on my first rear. It had a mm or two of wear The front still looks great with lots of tread and I'm working my way through the second rear. I only have got 8-9 on tourances so half price to two thirds mileage works better for me. Especially since like many I mount and balance them myself. I like how they perform better than the tourance which is more of a concern than price. I ride year round in the nw and i like this as an all around tire for those conditions. If i didnt like to take the gs off road i would put pilot road 3 on it. I don't like how tourances wear oddly on the front, but they always performed decently.
  8. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heidenau or Tourance(NOT The EXP) are both good.
  9. caljw

caljw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tourance...$153.00 Rocky Mountain...just installed a rear yesterday.
  10. Stoney911

Stoney911 Moto Nerd

Oddometer:
    Put on a rear Anakee 3 a couple weeks ago. Replaced heidenau k76. Loved the Anakee 2 I ran a while back and i would say the 3 is just as good if not better on slab. Haven't ventured off road yet on it. Been in rain and freezing temps and more confident on it then the heidi's. It all depends what your budget allows. Shiko's are getting good reviews too. If you are hitting light off road and want a sticky tire the Anakee 3 is worth checking out despite its crazy tread pattern.
  11. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put Shinko 705 radials on mine. Got about 4000 miles on the rear (maybe could have gone 5000) and replaced it with a Tourance. The Shinko was stickier and a little bit more agressive tread but I'm getting more miles from the Tourance. The front Shinko has 14000 miles and still going although it's getting cupped a bit. I guess the front doesn't owe me any more than that.
    Just ordered a set of Mitas E-07s and I'm looking forward to that. $250 delivered tax included. Almost $200 cheaper than K-60s and good reviews.
  12. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    What is your riding style? Without knowing that we are all just talking out our bung holes.
  13. jdmetzger

jdmetzger Lone Wolf

Oddometer:
    I rode on the original Trail Attacks back in 2010 (now replaced by version 2, I believe). They were fantastic on-road tires and never slipped in very spirited riding in the Alps. I will be taking delivery of a new 2013 GSA soon (I hope) and it's wearing Tourances (I'm cheap and getting a demo bike), but I'll probably switch to the Conti's when the time comes.
  14. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Two of your choices are similar, and one is not. Shinko is about half the price, and half the quality of the other 2 brands.

I just received a set of Anakee 2 s the other day, they are on close out and I'm not sure I'm going to like the 3.

CompAcc had them as a package deal, great price, fast shipping, and a very supportive ADV member.
  15. SkiFly01

SkiFly01 Florida Man

Oddometer:
    Well this may influence your choice, on motorcyclesuperstore.com there are some coupon codes:

these all expire 5/15/13
    all for tires only (basically 5-10% off prices for GS sizes)

Dunlop, up to 39% off- M159-5-DUNLOP-S1

PIRELLI, UP TO 36% OFF- M320-5PIRELLI-S1

METZELER,UP TO 31 % OFF- M235-5-METZELER-S1

BRIDESTONE, UP TO 43% OFF- M71-5BRIDGE-S1

also more here, http://cl.exct.net/?qs=f1c8d902ce20982e6ed3e890ecb8d65353bd2c9f15fe0411c14218d98a749dce
  16. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I have about 3K on my Anakee 3's, on wet cold pavement much better, mud is a push, twisty's adequate (if you ride the twisties get a more sport tire, your bung hole will thank you) dry gravel and dirt an improvement, as compared to Anakee 2's and Tourance EXP's
  17. lulo

lulo Cochino Aventurero

Oddometer:
    I don't mean to start a shitpot but....I had a set of a3's on my gsa for the last 2k, on road as everyone commented theyre very well planted, wet is ok although the 2's felt to me a bit more predictable once you started to push on turns....off road, well that's another story, im completely disappointed in them, if the bike is completely upright traction is ok but once you start to transition thru turns traction just falls ff the deep end, w the 2s I could feel the grip on the edges, I could settle the bike coming hard into a turn slightly tip in and modulate the rear around the turn w the throttle, this a3 wont let me do that, if I push the front ever so slightly it immediately looses traction and wants to wash out from under me.

little time after I got them I saw they were coming out with this anakee wild model and then it cliqued in my head, they discontinued the 2 and split the segment into 2 groups, the more street oriented A3's for the very occasional dirt traveler and the Awild for the more dirt oriented riders....I may be wrong but seems very apparent
  18. otbmf

otbmf otbmf

Oddometer:
    Hey Rockmuncher - thanks for the heads up on those, hadn't thought about them, but they look like they're worth a try - pls put up a post once you've got some miles on 'em

Sorry OP OldHippy if this is a bit of a 'jack