Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. ADVFlyer

ADVFlyer Long Distance Rider

Oddometer:
    That would be one of the "12 Apostles" in the background? Many moons ago I rode a Yammy RD125 onto "London Bridge" which I understand has fallen down now (no, seriously). They let you do stuff like that before OH&S became a scourge and before NPWS became the Nazi Parks and Wildlife Service. Nice photos of your ride!
  2. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup Great Ocean Road!
  3. Radioman

Oddometer:
    I left me new friends Steve and Helen, and rode toward the Great Ocean Road.

One of the great roads in the world. Build in 1918-1924 by returning soldiers from WWI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After Geelong, you reach Torquay, and head long the ocean. I do not stop much as I am enjoying the views, twisty roads, awaiting the solitude past the heavily populated areas.

[​IMG]

Enjoying the views. Lightly cloudy road. Of course it is getting on Winter in Australia and the temps are in the low 50's (10 C)

[​IMG]

And the lighthouse Split Point

[​IMG]

The blue water, surfers and white sand beaches are all very enticing!

[​IMG]

I enter into the Memorial Arches .....

[​IMG]

and make my way to Apollo Bay. Get some fuel and carry on riding. The road opens up.... and I crank on the throttle :)

[​IMG]

Nice

[​IMG]

The views back along the road are really great. But I know more is yet to come!

[​IMG]

Just rolling along the Ocean. Always feels good.

[​IMG]

Apollo Bay. Just needed some fuel. Petrol prices are not like the US. Those complaining about the US need to look around a bit more!

[​IMG]

Then through the Otway Forest.

[​IMG]

Of course I need to watch for wildlife.

[​IMG]

And stay on the left side..... :evil

[​IMG]

Must be lots of tourists about!!

[​IMG]

The I arrive back to the coast and some of the most amazing parts of the Great Ocean Road. Gibsons Steps. was told to stop.... and glad I did. Helped a few other tourists to find the place.

[​IMG]

Took a few tries with another tourist .... But got one.

[​IMG]

Absolutely stunning as I see the rocks formations from the beach!

[​IMG]

Had to come down the stairs to the beach!

[​IMG]

Nice

[​IMG]

Then the main lookout for the Twelve Apostles

[​IMG]

Originally called "Sow and Piglets" but in the 20's they renamed to be and bit more dignified.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the waves pound the coastline they create these Apostles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems like Australia is the land of warning you of all the dangers or speed, cliffs, unstable land, animals..... Hope I make it! :evil

[​IMG]

Truly spectacular.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's winter in Australia, and the sun goes down at 5:15 PM. So I end up in Port Campbell for the night. With the generosity of so many others, I am still holding to my budget of $100/ Day. Australia has gotten very expensive. Average meal for dinner is around $25 USD Min. Beer at pub is $8.00 USD. Food has been great! This is FYI

[​IMG]

Had a great day riding this iconic road!
  4. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    hope you have a room in a motel or something tonight... or a real waterproof tent...:evil Its absolutely bucketing down about 300km west of you (the side the weather comes from:deal)

from what i hear, you're about to head north... but if you dont, and keep following the coast into south oz, drop us a pm... :freaky

5. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :yikes WOW! That's just wrong! $8 for a freakin' beer? Why? Have you been able to find cheaper food and drink in the cities? Heck at that rate I'll never get to see the place...:cry
  6. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    Of course it feels good! Why, it autta feel just like home, as this looks identical to Hwy 101 heading North coming down into Yachats! (other than being on the wrong side of the road) :clap

Have a great ride Mark! Be careful out there, and GodSpeed!!! :norton
  7. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Moteled it last night as I saw the rain coming in. Heavy Heavy rain last night!
  8. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I was up early to get a view of the coastline when the sun came up.

[​IMG]

Blue sky and Sunshine!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to add my name to the beach.

[​IMG]

:lol3

[​IMG]

Then up to see the 12 Apostles again.

Met up with some other travelers who were there early and realized it takes awhile for the sun to get to the rocks. But loved the solitude and crashing of the big waves

[​IMG]

And a bit about the name.

[​IMG]

And I also had seen a group of nice Canadian and one Germany girls that rented a car and where driving the coast. :wave nice to meet you!

[​IMG]

Then off to check out the rest of the coastline. It was such a beautiful day i decided to stay again in Port Campbell, and just ride up and back along the GOR. Checking out all the side viewing places.

[​IMG]

Loch Ard Gorge

[​IMG]

Not sure on this one.

[​IMG]

Arches

[​IMG]

Really stunning views with the crushing of the waves. Great!

[​IMG]

Just spectacular on a day like today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Part has fallen down.

[​IMG]

GOR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lovely beaches also further along.

[​IMG]

Near the bay of Islands. You just have to stop and enjoy the views.

[​IMG]

Stunning! around 60F so not real warm like summer would be.

[​IMG]

The Grotto

[​IMG]

You have to walk right down inside to get the view

[​IMG]

Bay of Islands

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then there or lots of side roads. Some go a short ways in, and others right out to the edge!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't get too close....

[​IMG]

Great Day exploring at a very easy pace. The weather was showing rain but was hard to tell until later in the afternoon that the wind was up and clouds were rolling in. It rained very hard all night, but since I was in my motel I was smiling :D
  9. TOTim

TOTim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Radioman you are living my dream. Don't wake me. Great photos of an amazing place.
  10. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Stayed in Port Campbell for two nights due to the great weather. Since the weather is colder (40F at night) I took a motel.

[​IMG]

And to follow up. Beer in the Bottleshop here is $19.00 for a six pack of my Favorite Coopers Sparkling :thumb

[​IMG]

Nice Sunset as I relax, do some paperwork and sip a Coopers.

[​IMG]

Switched my Cel phone over to a Telstra Prepaid for better coverage around Australia.

[​IMG]

It rained really hard last night so I was glad that I was in a motel. The morning had some wind, but the sights were still great!

[​IMG]

I just rode up the way 80KM to Port Fairy. Great big beach.

[​IMG]

Dodged a few showers and kept to the blue sky :D

[​IMG]

Arrived Early in town, so I had time to explore the area, have some mid day "tea"

[​IMG]

Meat Pies..... Traditional fare

[​IMG]

Stayed next door to the Oldest Hotel in Victoria and will stop in later for a pint and some Friday night Music!

[​IMG]

Nice sunset to end the day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    WoW! Beautiful country and friendly folks all along the way, but it appears to be pretty expensive, similar to when you were in Kiwi Land.

But I must say this cause I'm over due..........................:dizave in a good way :lol3.

So, the realization for me is, I may never get over there as has been on my Bucket list for so many years, so you are an excellent proctor, for us unfortunate.

Keep riding Mark :ricky
  12. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  13. Radioman

Oddometer:
    I continued down the coast road to Portland.

[​IMG]

Yup Portland, Victoria :evil Cloudy, high 40's F Feels like home :lol3

[​IMG]

Then I turned north and rode through the Grampians! Just about to Dunkeld

[​IMG]

Rolled out through the valley before the road wound up into the mountains.

[​IMG]

Pictures do not do the area justice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Temps in the low 40's F

View from the lookout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then McKenzie Falls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lovely walk through the bush to see the views.

[​IMG]

Then I roll on West again. Just enjoying the feeling of the road beneath my tires. And I arrive into South Australia! :clap

[​IMG]

Stop at a small town and a motel as it was about to get dark. Also gained 1/2 hour in time zone. :D
  14. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Hi Mark!

Glad to see you are doing well in this Chapter of your life! :clap I am in the process of making some substantial changes myself. Since I returned from Panama early April after 96 days on the road, I have sold four of my five motos and put my house up for sale! I plan to live on the road/Mexico, traveling at least 50% of the time. I have a lady friend that travels with me now, but I still miss my wife as I am sure you miss your's. I don't know about you, but I don't try to forget mine, I think about her every day! But, life does go on, new people enter your life and the ride keeps going! :deal
  15. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :wave Donnie. Thanks for checking in. Good for you! You will never forget Cheryl (spelling might be wrong).... But good for you that you are making a new life. Ride Safe my friend!

My life on the road has been about the Journey and the people I have met. This chapter will come to an end someday, and then I will embrace the next one!
  16. Radioman

Oddometer:
    As I continue my ride and exploration I head west to the coast and then up to Adelaide area.

Things are very big in Australia :D

[​IMG]

Then up the coast and the Coorang National Park

[​IMG]

As I get closer to Adelaide I have to take a car ferry over the Murray river at Wellington, SA

[​IMG]

Then across the Fleurieu Wine area. Lovely countryside. Stopped at Strathibyn for a tasty meat Pie and coffee

[​IMG]

I ride along the coast into Adelaide area. Aussie Trev contacted me about a place to stay in Gawler (north Adelaide) and I arrive on Sunday late afternoon on the Queens Birthday Weekend.

[​IMG]

Monday I took a ride into Downtown Adelaide, and then out to the coast at Glenelg. Stopped to see friends of friends and they had invited me for dinner (evening tea).

[​IMG]

They had an amazing view out over the ocean and watched another fantastic sunset! Enjoyed our conversation and a wonderful Home cooked Lasagna Dinner!!

[​IMG]
  17. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Once again I have met up with a friendly and generous Aussie host. The rain was coming in today so, Trev picked me up in the morning and took me on a nice wine tour to the Barossa Valley!!

A quick stop at the Chateau Yaldara and stories of the changes in some of the local wineries. Trev is a bit of an expert (edit Trev told me he was not an expert but knows what he likes :wink: which is a top notch Shiraz) on the wines and wineries in the area!

[​IMG]

Then onto some wine tasting of the local wineries. The
    Shiraz is the famous wine of the region! Started at Grant Burge

[​IMG]

The 2008 Meshach Shiraz was great!

[​IMG]

Was overcast and rainy day, but you can see this would be a great place to enjoy the afternoon!

[​IMG]

Then onto the private tasting room of the Rockford Winery. Trev enjoying the tasting.

[​IMG]

Cheers.

[​IMG]

A really tasty Shiraz!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trev was a bad influence and had to buy some wine.... I am actually holding a purchase that he made for a good mate. Great winery!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then onto a fancier winery that had great display and presentation at Wolf Blass

[​IMG]

More education on the wine regions of the area.

[​IMG]

Got a good tasting and service from Maria. She was interested in my Round the world ride! :wave Cheers Maria!

[​IMG]

We tasted the Grey, Black and Platinum labels

[​IMG]

Great way to spend the day on Barossa Valley Wineries. Including a stop to catch up with one of Trev's Mates in town and had a "culpa" and talked bikes, ate local Pasties, and of course the wine tasting!

Thanks Trev :wave
  18. TanMcG

TanMcG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark,

When jmcg first asked me if it was ok to invite this ADVrider to come stay with us I didn't really know what to expect, especially as I hadn't read any of your RR!! :lol3 It was a pleasure to meet you and have you stay with us and share your stories of adventure on the road. And I like your style of eating dessert before the main meal :wink:

I have now caught up on your back story (shed a few tears along the way:cry ) and am checking in everyday to see where your journey takes you next.

I've also started reading your RR from the start (up to page 169) and found this image particularly special as I love taking time out to wonder at the little things around us. :D

Thank you so much for taking the time to keep your RR up to date and letting us come along for the ride.
  19. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    My mornings consist of 1) making coffee, and 2) seeing where Radioman is today.

:thumb
  20. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Good Morning Mark,

I sure do like having your report to check on with my coffee in the morning. What a great way to start the day. :clap